The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to wait after eating??

Default How long to wait after eating??

I've got a quick question:

What do you guys recommend as far as eating time and exercise? I've heard before to never work a dog right after eating because it can make their intestines twist, etc. Is this just a myth, or true? How long do you guys wait to let them exercise after eating? Also, what do yall think about taking food to the duck blind to let them eat when you know it's gonna be an all dayer? She won't eat when we get up early in the morn.

Thanks in advance!

It is not a myth. It can and does happen. I feed in the evening when they are in for the night. That way they can just sleep and digest. A full stomach will also make a dog sleepy.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    It is not a myth. It can and does happen. I feed in the evening when they are in for the night. That way they can just sleep and digest. A full stomach will also make a dog sleepy.
    I've been feeding twice a day. Once in morn, once in evening. Is once at night what most of you do is feed once at night?

Banned

2 hours and divide the meal between morning and night. Multiple small meals are better then one big one.

If she doesn't want to eat in the morning that's all right. Won't kill her to skip a meal or 2.

Angie

On a non working day I feed half the food in the morning, half in the evening. If the dogs are going to work/hunt in the morning, they skip breakfast, or to make them think they're getting something, they get a handful (like 2 bites). I was feeding once a night, but it was suggested that I feed Gunner twice a day to see if he'd absorb more of the food I feed him to put some meat on his bones. It has worked. We had to switch the others to 2x's a day to keep them from letting him have it for eating when they weren't. Styke and Bailey get 1/3 of their daily food in the AM, 2/3 at night. Gunner still gets 3 cups per feeding
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

I lost my first dog to stomach torsion, but it had nothing to do with feeding him and then exercising him. Personally I would not feed him in the blind, you can bring snacks or treats but the blind is all business. If it is an all day affair bring him back to the truck and feed him there. I also feed in the evening when the day is done
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I noticed that you said if they're working in the morn they don't get any. What about feeding them right after they work and are back in the house?? Sorry for the 8 million questions

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayermt View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the advice. I noticed that you said if they're working in the morn they don't get any. What about feeding them right after they work and are back in the house?? Sorry for the 8 million questions
    I usually make them wait until they are in rest mode before feeding them after a workout. I want them to be breathing normally, and basically just laying around before I feed them. I don't know if that makes any difference, but I prefer them to be calm before eating.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

I've had lots of pro's and vet's tell me pretty much the same thing: 2-3 hours after eating before working them and wait at least 1 hour after they are done working before feeding them. I feed 2'x a day, two of my dogs will puke the yellow foam if they are fed once a day. Sensative tummies.

Yesterday I had a terrible scare with my 11yr old MGR, who is an 'inhale your food eater', he vomited while eating-then litterally inhaled puke and food into his lungs. Poor dog, I thought I was going to loose him. It sucks to live 30 minutes from the vet. He is okay today and just loves having tennis balls in his food bowl, that is the best I could do until I get one of those special bowls. If he ever gets torsion it will be because of the way he eats.

Lost this one right here to torsion(twist). Feed at night before bed. No food in the am. Occasional biscuit or treat between ducks in the blind.

Better safe dog than a memory......