The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right and the left?

Default The right and the left?

The other day I had to ask someone which was left and which was right. Was the extreme (pick your party) on the left or the right? I honestly couldn't remember.

Who decided the definitions of "left" versus "right" and why did they choose them? Am I the only one who wonders these things?

Honestly, I'm amazed you guys enjoy debating this stuff so much! But, I'm glad that this separate spot was made for it.

Just a few hours 'til the sun comes up and we'll be training some dogs!

Chris

Dang Chris that is an easy one.....my side is right

You are sure up early, add in the time change and your up really early, get some coffee and get out and beat those pups
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Well Chris, on a similar note, who created the red state/blue state as a descriptive term for democrat/republican? Who decided which color got assigned to which party?

Obviously, in the vacuum of our nation and our red, white and blue flag, Stars and Stripes either color would be welcome. But, in the greater world view of 50 years of communism being identified as red and our nation’s enemy, being identified as red would have been most apt being given to the party that most embraces those communist ideals, democrats, it just would have been more fitting. I consider it the ultimate joke played on the republicans by the left and main stream media (MSM).

I like these debates as well and it was a good idea to have a separate area for them.

Last edited by subroc; 03-08-2009 at 07:17 AM.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    The other day I had to ask someone which was left and which was right. Was the extreme (pick your party) on the left or the right? I honestly couldn't remember.

Who decided the definitions of "left" versus "right" and why did they choose them? Am I the only one who wonders these things?

Honestly, I'm amazed you guys enjoy debating this stuff so much! But, I'm glad that this separate spot was made for it.

Just a few hours 'til the sun comes up and we'll be training some dogs!

Chris
    If your asking how the terms "Left" referring to Dems / Libs and "Right" referring to Reps/ Cons were assigned, I believe it has to do with which side of the isle they sit on when congress is in session. Not sure if that is what your asking though.

Danny
    Last edited by DSO; 03-08-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Left or right depends on where you are located politically. It is actually ok to be to the right on some issues and left on other issues. I know people will find this hard to believe but I have friends how think I am a lefty

I know this isn't "the answer" but a number of years ago, I saw some graphic about "From freedom to tyranny" or something along those lines.

It was a circle divided clockwise into sections that described the evolution/steps of a country's freedom(s) & reliance on God on the right to totalitarianism/tyranny on the left.

As many who describe themselves as being on "the left" often deny existence of a higher power and try mightily to remove ANY reference to God from the public eye, maybe there's something to that concept?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

A better represenation can be found after taking this quick quiz. Per this, I am 100% Libertarian.

http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies

Quote Originally Posted by DSO View Post
    If your asking how the terms "Left" referring to Dems / Libs and "Right" referring to Reps/ Cons were assigned, I believe it has to do with which side of the isle they sit on when congress is in session. Not sure if that is what your asking though.

Danny
    The terms left and right in politics come from a practice in the seating of factions in the French parliament. Originally those people opposed to the monarchy and were for radical reform sat to the left of the presidents chair. The French still sort out seating according to political alignment with the more liberal factions on the left and the more conservative elements on the right.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 03-09-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    A better represenation can be found after taking this quick quiz. Per this, I am 100% Libertarian.

http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html
    Right (Conservative)

I like it, it called me a "right" conservative. Left must mean wrong
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Bullock View Post
    Right (Conservative)

I like it, it called me a "right" conservative. Left must mean wrong
    Big surprise. I'm a personal libertarian and an economic liberal.