The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: the devil is in the details....

Banned

Default the devil is in the details....

and always in the ones you dont think about.....

against the advice of many of you of course, we ran the senior test yesterday. the test was set up by the same judges that sat up a certain controversial jr test the day before. this was no different, maybe even worse, based on the easily audible grumblings from several pros and upper crust amateurs. water test in the am, with all the meat - walk up, diversion shot, honor. go bird about 90deg angle to shore, downhill with wind from left, dropped in grassy shoreline of a large lake, about 70 yds or so - memory bird at about 10:00 (the line being at 6:00) 70-80 yds across a very near perfect circular pond adjacent to the lake, lots of real estate between line and pond. so imagine the sliver from 6:00 to 10:00, then back up 30 yds. thinner sliver. the dog had to get wet. handle to get wet if you have to. (but does that burn your handle for the day?) much discussion and consternation here, but in the end all was well - for me at least. go bird was snap, handled the boy to get wet for the memory bird, let him continue with the mark.

the blind...hmmmm......a "water" blind...hmmm......yeah.. 100yds or so, almost into the wind, angle downslope to the grassy shore. 97 of these yds is land. 1/5 of the way to the blind is a deep dried up depression with about an SUV-sized puddle of water left in the middle, heavy brush around half of it. the dog had to get wet - of course, its a "water" blind. most all dogs wanted to angle to the right a bit and cross the muddy edge, but the line went through water so you had to handle into the water before continuing. kinda reminded me like playing "mother may i" or something.

after a few whistles to get his feet wet, the last 60 yds was a straight back, slight scallop halted, left hand back , bingo.

only 23 of 43 dogs passed the above, pro'lly equal among memory bird and blind, but i am just guessing.

on to land, and this was literally from a "blood bath" (even a judge used that term for the 1st series) to a bubble bath. nearly same line but going the opposite direction, memory bird upslope to the right to a bird winged at a slight angle back, right to left, 100 yds. go bird a shot flyer to the left, left to right, across two shallow slews leading to the round pond. blind directly 90deg to edge of the larger lake, downslope, wind left to right. blind is exactly dead center between the 2 marks of the first series.

bubble bath, right? but ahhhh the details - Brady had 2 flyers last weekend, no issues so i thought we were home free in that arena - but yesterdays flyer was a cripple. as he approached it the duck was able to pop its head up and crawl a couple of feet, and that was enough to spook that little 8 mo old pup. totally freaked him out. "da-ad - it looked at me!" was the post incident commentary from a friend. that still makes me chuckle.

oh well. that totally blew my planned "nanny-nanny-boo-boo" post to all the naysayers and brady-doubters that warned me not to run! lol
    i was very confident in his mechanics for a Senior level test, and rightly so - walk-up was perfectly steady, marks on the money, blind spot-on, and he honored like a guard at Buckingham Palace - but i also knew our downfall if any would be maturity - or lack thereof, at 8 mos - i just thought it would be manners at the line and not getting spooked by a live bird. if HRC still used live birds i would have FF'ed and trained with them by now, but i figured there was no reason to do so.

anyway it was a great day with friends and making new ones - enjoyed visiting with the RTF'ers on hand, Angie was all smiles so she must have been having a good day, met David Maddox too, and Vicki tell your Dave thanks for his kind words - i was severely deflated after that episode! so now we have 2-1/2 weeks to be ready for Big D, we will be training with live ducks!

so does anyone know where i can get a couple of mallards in Houston? Wabash doesnt carry them........
    Last edited by david gibson; 03-09-2009 at 08:28 AM.

David,

NO NEED TO BE DISCOURAGED!!!
    You have a VERY nice youngster that your running. Good looking too. Hang in there, no hurry with him. We'll see him in Masters soon enough. Good luck for the rest of the spring.

Nice to finally meet you.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

LOL David, God knows I'm not the one to say anything and I wasn't part of the original thread for that very reason... But y

But you must be a glutton for punishment if, after your reaction to the last thread, you will openly admit your dog blinked on a hard hit crippled flier.

Getting the popcorn and Jack Daniels and it's only 11 am.

Dog pile, regards,
    Darrin Greene

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Oops!

Brady did a very nice job on all the things David had prepared him for. Isn't the idea of "testing" to see how we are doing as trainers and where are the holes we forgot to plug? It was a tough test senior test and his 8 month old puppy was performing very well on it. This is another case of it is better to be luck than good. If he had been as lucky as most of the other dogs, the bird would have been dead and Brady would have no doubt passed his test.

Just be glad you got that live bird early in his carreer instead of when you were running Masters!

I have a feeling that Brady will have a "pet duck" to chase around the back yard for the next couple of weeks! Check with the pros you've been working, they will probably have a duck you can buy.

I remember watching a senior test once where a dog being run by a professional went out for his wounded live flyer. The bird revived and sat up. the dog sat down next to it and just sat there until the duck finally died. No amount of pleading from the handler to fetch it up would make that dog move until the bird's neck went limp. Then he promptly grabbed the bird and brought it in.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by surfgeoD300 View Post
    so does anyone know where i can get a couple of mallards in Houston? Wabash doesnt carry them........
    Memorial Park is where someone I know gets them, but it isn't exactly above board.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    LOL David, God knows I'm not the one to say anything and I wasn't part of the original thread for that very reason... But y

But you must be a glutton for punishment if, after your reaction to the last thread, you will openly admit your dog blinked on a hard hit crippled flier.

Getting the popcorn and Jack Daniels and it's only 11 am.

Dog pile, regards,
    how much jack you got down already???

wish i'd had some yesterday afternoon, but no hard liquor sales in Texas on Sundays... ;-(

but i aint too worried about being lambasted for the blink after all the rest he did......

Quote Originally Posted by surfgeoD300 View Post
    how much jack you got down already???

wish i'd had some yesterday afternoon, but no hard liquor sales in Texas on Sundays... ;-(

but i aint too worried about being lambasted for the blink after all the rest he did......

shouldn't be, at 8 mos that's a heck of a set of mechanics ya got going

seems like no one jumped on so I must have had too much too early
    Darrin Greene