RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog box

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  C Trahan 
#1 ·
Cannot seem to find a dog box already made to fit my Avalanche. Have a friend who is a great aluminum fabricator. Is aluminum a good metal to use for a dog box? What would the perfect dog box include? Such as fan,waterbowl,gunbox,ect. maggie

#2 ·
I've asked this question a lot lately and it seems that this is the answer, stainless steel is better then aluminum (only reason is aluminum will turn your dog gray). but stainless steel will heat up faster then aluminum. Therefore you will need an insulated box. Most people I've spoken with say you should have louvard vents and doors. My perfect box would also have a fan, water tank, storage for food bowls and training supplies, airing lights, and lights in the storage box. I would not put my gun in the box because the condensation would rust it. I would also have the box raised off the bed of your truck so you could slide stuff under it (such as wingers), this would also give the option of having flush doors on the dog compartments for easy clean out. A roof rack would be nice as well so you could strap stuff on top of the box if needed i.e. cooler. I hope this helps!

#3 ·
I just bought a 2-hole from Deerskin Mfg. for my truck and love it, & so do my dogs. It has a 15gal water tank, exhaust fan, on demand water pump and airing lights. It is all stainless steel with aluminum top, 1" insulation in the floor, walls, between holes and 4" of insulation in the top with hinged louverd doors and sides of each hole. I can't remember the exact dimensions but I picked two of them up in my full size F-250. You can check their website for exact dimensions to see if it will fit your Avalanche, but I highly recomend them, they are super nice people to deal with. They are located in Springtown,Tx. which is NW of FortWorth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.