RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Little man pups

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Rick_C 
#1 ·
I have a just turned 8 mo pup out of FC/AFC Carolinas Smoke On The Water and Northlands Prairie Habanero.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has pups from this litter and how they are doing? I've tried, unsuccessfully, to get a hold of the breeder for an update. I hear at least a couple others are on pro trucks but don't know for sure.

My little man is a very hot, high energy, smart and talented pup but is having some line manner issues I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing? Incidently he's with a pro and the pro isn't too worried about it at this point but I'm curious if it's him or something that's showing in the breeding.

PM's or e-mails to rcurtis67@live.com are fine if you prefer.

Thanks,

Rick Curtis

#2 ·
I've trained several. They definitely can creep, beat you to the line, blow their concentration out of excitement, etc. I deal with this by slowing things down until they control themselves. Beating you to the line is a great place to start. You can stop any time your puppy gets a given distance ahead (I might have made it 9" with the last one, it's been a couple of years). If that doesn't get his attention, then when he gets ahead of you go back to the truck and start over.

The good thing is that I don't think I've had any of the difficult excitement problems like mouth problems and noise on line with those dogs. The one I trained to the highest level, if he beat you to the line he would creep, and if he crept he wouldn't get the memory birds. That is, in his impatience he wouldn't mark them. But if you wanted a dog with guts, you had it.

Amy Dahl

#4 ·
The dog in my avatar is a lil man dog. He is a MH, CD, RN and certified therapy dog. He is a wonderful dog. Very laid back and easy going around the house and ALL BUISNESS in the field. He goes from a puddle to steam roller in an instant. He is a pleasure and a joy to own and train. The biggest issue I have had with him was bugging on blinds. He does the best stevie wonder impression you have ever seen. After you kick him off you can handle him ANYWHERE but getting that intial line was a struggle. I wouldnt trade this dog for nothing.

#5 ·
I have one that will be 4 in june. He is as fired up now as he was at 1. He definately has line manner issues. It is a constant battle at the line. We do one heck of a texas two step though. When he is on he is one of the best marking dogs, but when he is hot at the line things come apart quick. Greatest thing about him is that when you bring him inside you rather heave to step over him or kick him to get him up. Great dog in the house. Lil Man also is known to be a bad creeper and like my dog, I'm not sure his butt ever hits the ground when the marks start going off. Good Luck with you pup.

#11 ·
I have one that will be 4 in june. He is as fired up now as he was at 1. He definately has line manner issues. It is a constant battle at the line. We do one heck of a texas two step though. When he is on he is one of the best marking dogs, but when he is hot at the line things come apart quick. Greatest thing about him is that when you bring him inside you rather heave to step over him or kick him to get him up. Great dog in the house. Lil Man also is known to be a bad creeper and like my dog, I'm not sure his butt ever hits the ground when the marks start going off. Good Luck with you pup.
Where did you hear this? Or, is this simply your opinion? I'm really just curious...it's news to me if he's known as a bad creeper. What he did do on occasion was flat out break, which is a different thing from creeping.

#6 · (Edited)
How come you guys can tell the truth about the creeping/breaking thing and see it as a challenge? Me as dah, trying to deal with it, get fussed at for allowing unacceptable behavior. I don't think it is the breeding, I think it is the training, or lack there of. At any way, I love Littleman and would love to have a pup from him.

#8 · (Edited)
How come you guys can tell the truth about the creeping/breaking thing and see it as a challenge? Me as dah, trying to deal with it, get bitched at for allowing unacceptable behavior. I don't think it is the breeding, I think it is the training, or lack there of. At any way, I love Littleman and would love to have a pup from him.

Where did this come from?

I agree it is training issues and I also think they can be rectified with time, training, and constantecy. I stated I wouldnt trade mine for the world...honestly though he will be the last lab I own...I am all chessy now.

Cheveyo creeps a little but generally doesnt break. He broke once in his attempt for a MH...shocked the crap outa me) I wouldnt own a dog that wont break once in awhile...that is just me.

His stevie wonder thing is also a training issue IMHO. I have studied it for a very long time...somehow a pressure (real or concieved by him) was created that has a very powerful hold over him. Sometimes a dog just has a quirk you learn to live with or deal with. They are not machines and will never be perfect. If you have a perfect one congrats...I dont want a perfect dog...I like effort and trying..giving me the best they have. If it is the best they got it is all good...the rest is up to me to teach them if they are capable of learning.

KC

PS If I am not making sense I am sorry. I blew my shoulder out and had surgery so my brain is not a t full capapcity

#9 ·
I've trained little man puppies and I love em. Also helped train a sister to little man.

One has to have a super high standard from the get go. Line issues can be a problem,,, but my dogs have gotten better with time, practice and age. Very intelligent, easy to teach and correct. Very good markers. Very, very fast.....:cool:

Angie

#10 · (Edited)
I've trained little man puppies and I love em. Also helped train a sister to little man.

One has to have a super high standard from the get go. Line issues can be a problem,,, but my dogs have gotten better with time, practice and age. Very intelligent, easy to teach and correct. Very good markers. Very, very fast.....:cool:

Angie
Thanks for the replies...

My pup is a very strong marker, very intelligent and has a TON of bottom.
My training partner mentioned to me that he thought I had him screwed down too tight as a pup. I just felt like I was making him behave. Anyway, I didn't see any line issues up through 6 months old. He then went to the pro for the winter trip and whether it's the daily training, increase in birds or whatever, that's when the line manner issues surfaced. Actually, it doesn't seem to matter to him what he's retrieving, birds or bumpers, he's just as HOT and excited to go and thinks every mark that goes down is his whether he's on the line, the truck or on a chain gang.

As I said, my pro isn't too worried about it. He mentioned, like Angie, that age and maturity will probably go a long way towards settling him down as he is a bit slow maturing and still acts like a goofy puppy when he gets play time or airing. He is only 8 months old afterall. Overall, my pro loves him and thinks he is very talented. As Amy mentioned about a dog she had, Ace is absolutely fearless as well.

I think I'll have a heck of a dog if/when we get him settled down. I hope so.

Rick

#15 ·
Bugging from a Little Man pup?

Creeping...it can happen

Vocalizing....yeah, sometimes

Knocking you over coming out of the dog truck...yeah, seen that

Bugging? Not with mine.....

#16 ·
Bugging from a Little Man pup?

Creeping...it can happen

Vocalizing....yeah, sometimes

Knocking you over coming out of the dog truck...yeah, seen that

Bugging? Not with mine.....
This made me laugh. Sounds like you could be talking about my pup! :cool:

While he's not at the point of running blinds yet I would be shocked if he were to have bugging issues, doing anything. This little guy is as intense, fearless and handles pressure as well as any pup I'll probably own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.