The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone live where their local gov is trying not to spend?

Default Does anyone live where their local gov is trying not to spend?

I am curious if anyone lives somewhere where the local government is actually trying to not spend so much money?

Even here in my little town they can't stop talking about wanting to build a water park (Lord help us), a new city office building, and addition to schools (when enrollment is declining). Do any of them realize that all of this falls on the backs of tax payers that are already hurting.

My town submitted a proposal for the stimulus package to build a waterpark that the voters have voted against three times. They were declined. However they have now tried new tactics to flip the voters the bird and build anyway.

Please tell me somewhere someone is cutting back.
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson

Our town leaders just voted to give an out of area developer $5M to build a new bar downtown that features large water tanks where mermaids can frolic as the revelers drink their beer. Does this count?

Oh and they are now trying to disband the tent city that was featured on Oprah's show last week.

T. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Newcomb View Post
    I am curious if anyone lives somewhere where the local government is actually trying to not spend so much money?

Even here in my little town they can't stop talking about wanting to build a water park (Lord help us), a new city office building, and addition to schools (when enrollment is declining). Do any of them realize that all of this falls on the backs of tax payers that are already hurting.

My town submitted a proposal for the stimulus package to build a waterpark that the voters have voted against three times. They were declined. However they have now tried new tactics to flip the voters the bird and build anyway.

Please tell me somewhere someone is cutting back.
    How many months out of the year will that water park sit idle up in your neck of the woods?

They cancelled a couple annual festivals in the area (fireworks, concert, etc.).

They're reviewing the use of government issued vehicles.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Ours is actually trying, maybe not actually doing it but trying. Of course we are going to build a new many million dollar spring trainng facility for the Red Socks and I am not sure why, but they are throwing a big fit about several of our leaders spending a grand total of 4k to go to DC. They don;t complain about spending millions on a ballpark, but 4 grand for people to go to an important conference they throw a fit about
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I live in Milwaukee WI.
    Sort of....just outside.
    But Milwaukee County has a Supervisor named Scott Walker.
    He is doing one hell of a job cutting back and holding the line on spending.

Remember the name and watch for this guy to be WI next Governer.
    Stan b & Elvis

Here pools are open about 2.5 months. So the park would be closed about 9.5 months. It is something the snob crowd wants and are insisting on. The funny, I guess, part is that these are the same people living in homes they can't afford.
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson

We actually have a City Administrator whose last town went bankrupt roughly a year after he left. Needless to say, this city is a little harder to bankrupt as they own the water, sewer, NG & the cemetery.

They also do ordinances where they mix the money to create a slush fund. & everyone gets a nice raise on staff to build brand loyalty. We elected a new mayor after the old one had used the city to build his housing development. Guess what, other than being more personable, nothing changed.

Built a Skate Board Park - $1.2 Mil, much of which was stolen from the other funds with more realistic needs. As I've found, if government gives you what you need, what's the use of having them around & vice versa, who knows enough about government to recognize someone does a good job.

We had a City Councilman resign last week, I'm going to stick my hat in the ring - the last time there was a vacancy they appointed the weakest candidate. If that happens again I won't get the appointment. But I'm still gonna try.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Cool

Try El Paso County CO.
    County government has cut the dept of health budget: we no longer have resturant inspection more than ever 18-24 months, STD is no longer going to be monitored. We now pay for a storm water enterprise to manage our run off water, we are adding a tax to cover street lights in areas that the developers have not provided. Fire & police are being cut.
    Our infrastructure is in disrepair. Take a look at Colorado's TABOR Law. We gave tax breaks to such groups as Focus on the Family and they now spend thousands to lobby the government. Ain't life grand.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner View Post
    Try El Paso County CO.
    County government has cut the dept of health budget: we no longer have resturant inspection more than ever 18-24 months, STD is no longer going to be monitored. We now pay for a storm water enterprise to manage our run off water, we are adding a tax to cover street lights in areas that the developers have not provided. Fire & police are being cut.
    Our infrastructure is in disrepair. Take a look at Colorado's TABOR Law. We gave tax breaks to such groups as Focus on the Family and they now spend thousands to lobby the government. Ain't life grand.
    Sounds like you need to pay more local taxes.