The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone live where their local gov is trying not to spend?

As I was driving home from work last night there was a news blurb on about state budgets shortfalls and how they needed to be "more creative" in revenue generation. Delaware, it appears, wants to legalize sports gambling and Massachusetts appears to be planning a big gas tax hike. Nowhere in the new blurb was the option of cutting any service or any spending considered or mentioned.

subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The county I live in is rural and for a long time was very conservative. Property taxes, especially on farmland, were low and county services were adequate, but certainly not lavish. Schools were decent, because they weren't as big as our rapidly growing neighboring counties to the north and so far, we don't have any ghettos or project housing here. But alas we're too close to D.C. (50 miles away) and a steady stream of 'come heres' have been moving out this way to McMansionize the farmland, impose their liberal ideas on the 'from heres' so now we have all kinds of goodies such as much higher taxes on farmland, forcing farmers to have to sell to developers; a water park and skateboard park that mostly sit idle but gobble money; a new school being built that isn't needed because projected growth came to a screeching halt two years ago. The taxes on my crummy little 30 acre farm went from $3500 a year to $12,000 a year. I might add that my land does not send any children to public school, it's not serviced by sewer and water, it doesn't use county health services, call 911 or the cops in short it costs the county nothing. People move here for the history and beauty of the undeveloped areas, but they want us to pay to educate and entertain their kids? I think if you need malls and soccer fields and skateboard parks, you need to stay where they are, not demand them where you move! Meanwhile there are all kinds of newly enacted onerous dog breeding and animal licensing regulations, new requirements for livestock, etc. put in place by our newly elected libtard legislators (heaven help you if you move to the country and smell manure!) because surely those city people and 'come heres' know more about farming and animal husbandry than the from-heres.

A politician with your money is like a drug addict with a crack pipe.

I love all the earmarks. John 'Effing' Kerry's earmark to get the Edward M Kennedy Institute for the Senate building off the ground is one of my favs.

Maybe they'll build it on Chappaquiddick Island!

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    As I was driving home from work last night there was a news blurb on about state budgets shortfalls and how they needed to be "more creative" in revenue generation. Delaware, it appears, wants to legalize sports gambling and Massachusetts appears to be planning a big gas tax hike. Nowhere in the new blurb was the option of cutting any service or any spending considered or mentioned.

Mass is facing a huge "budget shortfall" and is considering:

Gas tax hikes
    Toll hikes
    Sales tax hikes
    Income tak hikes
    Fee hikes
    (or most likely all of the above)

Yesterday:

Our governor appointed a long time political supporter to a $175,000/year position that had been vacant for 12 years.

The outgoing Speaker of the House, who had to resign due to some "improprieties" gave all his staff huge raises as one of his last acts before resigning.

Ya just can't make this up. The unmitigated gall of these phonies is absolutely breathtaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    A politician with your money is like a drug addict with a crack pipe.

I love all the earmarks. John 'Effing' Kerry's earmark to get the Edward M Kennedy Institute for the Senate building off the ground is one of my favs.

Maybe they'll build it on Chappaquiddick Island!
    Goose

You should apologize to all the addicts out there right now!