The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Elected Officials

Default Elected Officials

Keith presented it in another thread - "It is now time to start vetting potential candidates for SenateOTUS, HouseOTUS & your Local Governor".

In our state (WA) we have no one acceptable including the local RINDIP US Rep so I don't have much to offer. But I'm sure there are good solid FISCAL Conservatives chafing at the bit to have at 'em.

Let us know who your people are - they will be vetted through Club for Growth for Fiscal prudence if they run.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

In Minnesota we still don't know who won the Senate Seat, will it be the carpet bagger that wasn't a resident or Norm Coleman the man that brought professional hockey back to Minnesota. Norm gained his campaign slogan as the Mayor of St. Paul, but not for his senate position.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

In terms of congress, all politics is local. If people didn't like their congressman or senator, they wouldn't re-elect them. We can vote only for our local candidate. The only thing you can do about someone else's candidate is to open your wallet.

Actually, the vetting process is quite rigorous. Every politically active group has at least a questionnaire. Many have screening committees.

The intense personal attacks that are part of the current political environment discourages the best and brightest from running. If it doesn't abate, we will be left with carpetbaggers, shysters and crazies interested in running.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    In terms of congress, all politics is local. If people didn't like their congressman or senator, they wouldn't re-elect them. We can vote only for our local candidate. The only thing you can do about someone else's candidate is to open your wallet.
    Been there - DO that.

Actually, the vetting process is quite rigorous. Every politically active group has at least a questionnaire. Many have screening committees.
    I've been a candidate - so know a little about the vetting process. One of my prouder moments is my rating by the WA State Public Employees Union. Most fiscally conservative candidate in the state by a wide margin.

The intense personal attacks that are part of the current political environment discourages the best and brightest from running. If it doesn't abate, we will be left with carpetbaggers, shysters and crazies interested in running.
    I do not consider it a personal attack to tell the truth about someone's voting record. As for those you describe as the potential - are'nt we already there. Unless you believe Nancy Pelousy, Henry Nostrils, Harry Ream, et al to be normal.

J Dogger - I ignore no one, what I wait for is some glimmer of intelligence to waft it's way into the internetosphere from that source. To date you have failed. But, please continue, in your case the blind pig theory may prevail.

Why did you remove your post?????????????
    Last edited by Marvin S; 03-16-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: removed post by JDodger

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Here in my congressional district its real easy, we are represented by lib dems in the House and Senate. I will be voting against all incumbents in2010 at the Fed level.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Been there - DO that.
    I've been a candidate - so know a little about the vetting process. One of my prouder moments is my rating by the WA State Public Employees Union. Most fiscally conservative candidate in the state by a wide margin.
    If a candidate gets rated by organization with clout "most" something or other it usually means his/her campaign is in peril.

I do not consider it a personal attack to tell the truth about someone's voting record. As for those you describe as the potential - are'nt we already there. Unless you believe Nancy Pelousy, Henry Nostrils, Harry Ream, et al to be normal.
    Marv, it is no sin to tell how their voting record differs from your ideal. But, they don't represent you. They represent their constituents. What and I may think of those you mention it doesn't cut any ice. We don't get to vote for them.

It is a personal attack to distort their names as you did.
    Zeus

Most fiscally conservative candidate in the state by a wide margin.
    If a candidate gets rated by organization with clout "most" something or other it usually means his/her campaign is in peril.
    All non-incumbent GOP campaigns that year were in trouble - Dixy Lee Ray (a good D) was the Gubernatorial candidate that year.

But that was not where I was going with the statement. To be the "most" by that margin means I'm either a miser or even the State's pseudo-conservatives are just that.

Marv, it is no sin to tell how their voting record differs from your ideal. But, they don't represent you. They represent their constituents. What and I may think of those you mention it doesn't cut any ice. We don't get to vote for them.
    We are all governed by what those nutcases get placed into law - so they do represent me, however remotely. It's called "Taxation without Representation".

A couple of the more notable was a donation to defeat the illustrious tax dodger, Tom Dashole. Also made a couple of donations to the losing candidate in Colorado's US Senate race this last year. We had something in common, we were both coached in high school BB by the same indidvidual. My ex-coach told me the history of this individual & I felt it to be a good investment for the country. The US lost an opportunity by putting another Udall into office.

I do contact the offices of ranking committee members by phone on issues where I desire input on the committee's agenda. So it's not quite as you see it, unless you believe it to be a small world revolving around one of the more left wing states in this nation.

BTW, do you believe me to be so naive that I do not recognize the difference between getting personal & stating facts???

Marvin S

We are all governed by what those nutcases get placed into law - so they do represent me, however remotely. It's called "Taxation without Representation".
    At the end of the day, it is what the voters of the respective districts think counts the most

A couple of the more notable was a donation to defeat the illustrious tax dodger, Tom Dashole

I dunno there, Marv. You were commiserating about good candidates being driven off by abuse. Well, here you go again!

made a couple of donations to the losing candidate in Colorado's US Senate race this last year. The US lost an opportunity by putting another Udall into office.
    I bought a few holes in the floor, too, over my lifetime. So, I won a few and lost a few. If I lose, so be it. The other guy had a better message and it doesn't exactly ruin my day.

I do contact the offices of ranking committee members by phone on issues where I desire input on the committee's agenda. So it's not quite as you see it, unless you believe it to be a small world revolving around one of the more left wing states in this nation.
    Marv, I do that stuff to from time to time. I have been down there in the congressional offices doing some of the stuff as you are.

I perceive your remark as a "disparagement" of the great state of Minnesota. It isn't as left wing as you think. The state is quite politically diverse. There are Catholics and Lutherans. The Gov. is a conservative. Michelle Bachman is something else, but is not a flaming liberal. Jesse Ventura is generally a mess of everything. Norm Coleman is a carpetbagger and he is what ever the way the wind is blowing. Al Franken is a carpetbagger and he is --Well, you know. But we try to get along with each other, here.

BTW, do you believe me to be so naive that I do not recognize the difference between getting personal & stating facts???
    How about adding: giving your personal opinion?
    Last edited by zeus3925; 03-16-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    Zeus

The intense personal attacks that are part of the current political environment discourages the best and brightest from running.
    I dunno there, Marv. You were commiserating about good candidates being driven off by abuse. Well, here you go again!
    Please do not attribute anything originating in your process as coming from me. Those are your quotes.

Marvin S

OK, Marv! May your life be blessed with finest politicians money can buy.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 03-16-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    Zeus