The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soccer Ball

Default Soccer Ball

Anyone have any issue with letting a dog play with a full size rubber (indestructable) soccer ball in the kennel.

She seems to like it.
    D.J. Province
    Ebonstar Over Moon River JH

it's your money

soccer balls are not cheap.

my dog has made short work of about a dozen of my daughter's league play balls

It's one thing if they just toss it around or retrieve it like my last lab and my old Chessie used to, but my current labs are a bit more destructive and chew them up. I'm really cautious of anything they can chew up when I'm not there. I worry about them injesting and having a blockage.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

I buy the Jolly Balls. I bought the horse size one for my Wolfhound and the dog size for my Basset/Aussie. The basset took the big one over and she can just barely get ground clearance with it. The Wolfhound will play with the little one because it fits in her mouth and she can "chew" on it while she runs. I bought these over 2 years ago and they are holding up perfectly.
    The Wolfhound had a basketball for all of maybe 45 seconds before she popped it!
    Last edited by 1st retriever; 03-17-2009 at 02:25 PM.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    I buy the Jolly Balls. I bought the horse size one for my Wolfhound and the dog size for my Basset/Aussie. The basset took the big one over and she can just barely get ground clearance with it. The Wolfhound will play with the little one because it fits in her mouth and she can "chew" on it while she runs. I bought these over 2 years ago and they are holding up perfectly.
    I sense a Bubba remark coming...
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Yeah I just thought of that!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Try a bowling ball. Much more durable.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by D. Province View Post
    Anyone have any issue with letting a dog play with a full size rubber (indestructable) soccer ball in the kennel.

She seems to like it.
    As long as they don't touch it with their hands!!
    Stan b & Elvis

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

I gave my daughter a dog and one day the neighbor's son missed a basketball layout shot and the ball ended up in my daughter's back yard. Casey though it was a gift from heaven and had a ball with it, so to speak. My daughter got home from work that day and saw her carrying this flattened ball around and wondered where it came from. Later that evening the boy next door came over and told him he threw his ball in their back yard and would like to get it back if he could. She goes to give it back and he is shocked that is was flat. My daughter being a sweet person went to the store and bought the kid a new ball and a new one for Casey as well. She introduced the kid to the yellow lab and told him if it happens again he was welcome to come over the fence to get his basketball. She thought the kids ball was probably worn out and that is why is was flat, but soon discovered that Casey would wrestle the ball around the yard and eventually would pop it, then had more fun playing and tossing it around for herself. once it was flat it only lasted a couple of days and it would be shredded. So after this happened a couple of times to various large balls like that, she decided the dog didn't need a basketball, soccar ball, or volley ball.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

I have an 11 yr old golden named Zek who has a favorite soccer ball. Bought it for our daughter years ago and she lost interest in the sport. Zek carried that ball everywhere, eventually it was flattened. I took it away from him about a year ago and have decided I will bury it with Zek when he passes. He still goes to the closet and looks for it. They will eventually shred them so you have to watch them while playing with the ball.