RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Soccer Ball

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Fowl Play WA 
#1 ·
Anyone have any issue with letting a dog play with a full size rubber (indestructable) soccer ball in the kennel.

She seems to like it.

#3 ·
It's one thing if they just toss it around or retrieve it like my last lab and my old Chessie used to, but my current labs are a bit more destructive and chew them up. I'm really cautious of anything they can chew up when I'm not there. I worry about them injesting and having a blockage.

#4 · (Edited)
I buy the Jolly Balls. I bought the horse size one for my Wolfhound and the dog size for my Basset/Aussie. The basset took the big one over and she can just barely get ground clearance with it. The Wolfhound will play with the little one because it fits in her mouth and she can "chew" on it while she runs. I bought these over 2 years ago and they are holding up perfectly.
The Wolfhound had a basketball for all of maybe 45 seconds before she popped it!

#5 ·
I buy the Jolly Balls. I bought the horse size one for my Wolfhound and the dog size for my Basset/Aussie. The basset took the big one over and she can just barely get ground clearance with it. The Wolfhound will play with the little one because it fits in her mouth and she can "chew" on it while she runs. I bought these over 2 years ago and they are holding up perfectly.
I sense a Bubba remark coming...

#6 ·
Yeah I just thought of that!:)

#8 ·
As long as they don't touch it with their hands!!:shock:

#9 ·
I gave my daughter a dog and one day the neighbor's son missed a basketball layout shot and the ball ended up in my daughter's back yard. Casey though it was a gift from heaven and had a ball with it, so to speak. My daughter got home from work that day and saw her carrying this flattened ball around and wondered where it came from. Later that evening the boy next door came over and told him he threw his ball in their back yard and would like to get it back if he could. She goes to give it back and he is shocked that is was flat. My daughter being a sweet person went to the store and bought the kid a new ball and a new one for Casey as well. She introduced the kid to the yellow lab and told him if it happens again he was welcome to come over the fence to get his basketball. She thought the kids ball was probably worn out and that is why is was flat, but soon discovered that Casey would wrestle the ball around the yard and eventually would pop it, then had more fun playing and tossing it around for herself. once it was flat it only lasted a couple of days and it would be shredded. So after this happened a couple of times to various large balls like that, she decided the dog didn't need a basketball, soccar ball, or volley ball.

#10 ·
I have an 11 yr old golden named Zek who has a favorite soccer ball. Bought it for our daughter years ago and she lost interest in the sport. Zek carried that ball everywhere, eventually it was flattened. I took it away from him about a year ago and have decided I will bury it with Zek when he passes. He still goes to the closet and looks for it. They will eventually shred them so you have to watch them while playing with the ball.

#11 ·
I've seen Kaie give a young stud blue Jolly Balls......

#13 ·
Hahahahahaha.......me and my Labs are BANNED for life from ANY soccer field, softball field or baseball field in the county where I live. My youngest son was playing soccer and I had a 10 month old Lab pup out socializing and he was being a good boy....................THEN.......a ball came sailing over his head and the show was on:). He got the ball and had 2 soccer teams chasing him for over 30 minutes. Then he popped the ball:eek:.......... well that lead to our banning.:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Let me tell you a story about a big old 100+ lb lab mix and a young girl. So one day, at a soccer tournament, the girl is holding the dog on leash and watching the soccer game from atop a BIG hill. It's raining out, it's muddy out. Dog sees ball and takes off dragging the girl down the hill on her behind. The dry crowd underneath the tent laughs, luckily the dog doesn't get the ball, and daddy comes to save the day. End of story. lol.

#16 ·
I've seen it happen, especially if the dog is quite attached to one of the girls on the soccer field. That was the last time that dog went to a soccer game. Still is remembered though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.