The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Song Contest GDG

  1. #21
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Halstead View Post
    I am surprized that we haven't heard from the Obama jocks (supporters) I would like to hear how they view the current events.

    Thanks to those that put on there thinking caps.
    All right, if you insist......



    Truman and Eisenhower and Kennedy, You Bet!
    They gave us new programs and paid down the debt.
    LBJ lost his way, Vietnam and all
    Ended his days under clouds in a pall.
    And even yet,
    Great Society standing tall,
    He left lower taxes, new programs, less debt.

    Next in line was Tricky Dick
    He lied, he cheated, a royal prick
    And even yet,
    Watergate and all,
    He left lower taxes, new programs, less debt.

    To get over Nixon took some bland mixin
    Ford and Carter came in, left an economy need'n fixin'
    And even yet,
    WIN, embargo and all,
    They left us new programs and paid down the debt.

    Next came the actor, the sweet smilin Reagan
    Bankrupted our thrifts, liquidated my pension
    Tax cuts for some, higher spending too,
    Left an economy in tatters singin' the higher debt blues.

    Then poor old George got stuck with the Bush,
    Had to raise taxes to clean up the mush
    And with all that,
    junk bonds and Contra-ventions
    Left higher taxes, more debt, economy contractin'.

    Back to the South we went with a smile
    Electing Bill Clinton, he won by a mile.
    He raised taxes first, then cut them by more
    He funded new programs and took us to war.
    The economy went soaring, as did his wick,
    Proving screwing could happen without Tricky Dick.
    And even yet,
    Internet, impeachment and all,
    He left lower taxes, new programs, less debt.

    And then came George Junior, Coke still in his head
    Turned back to voodonomics like his father was dead
    Invaded Afghanistan, then shorted it too soon.
    Went into Iraq, gave Halliburton a boon.
    Tax cuts for his friends, lower incomes for the rest,
    Bankrupted country, left the economy bereft.
    And even yet,
    bank failures and blues
    Cheney says we're better off - he must be drinkin booze.
    What's 5 trillion dollars, our friends are good bets,
    We have lower taxes, who cares about debts.

    And now comes Obama, and yes he's black,
    Many had thought hell'd freeze over long before that.
    We gave him three months, why give him more.
    If he can't fix things in that, he must be a bore.
    No real record yet, so we don't know what's coming
    Higher taxes, higher debt, it's got to be something.
    According to Rush he musn't succeed,
    Because we don't like him so it's failure we need.

  2. #22
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,896

    Default

    WOW!!
    That's revisionist if I've ever read any??

    Just out of curiosity, when would it be OK to hold Obama responsible (I know, that's a bad word to you leftys) for his presidency?

    Do you have a target date in mind??
    Last edited by road kill; 04-01-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  3. #23
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    11,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    WOW!!
    That revisionist if I've ever read any??

    Just out of curiosity, when would it be OK to hold Obama responsible (I know, that's a bad word to you leftys) for his presidency?

    Do you have a target date in mind??
    Yup, revisionist!

    LBJ's Great Society left us standing tall?

    I puked on that one! We are STILL PAYING FOR LBJ's ENTITLEMENTS!
    LBJ started the whole entitlement mentallity that is a poison in our society.

    I couldn't read anymore after I read about old LBJ.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  4. #24
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    WOW!!
    That's revisionist if I've ever read any??

    Just out of curiosity, when would it be OK to hold Obama responsible (I know, that's a bad word to you leftys) for his presidency?

    Do you have a target date in mind??
    As I noted on another thread, if we use the same standard for Obama that this forum used for Bush the answer would be never. Personally, I don't think we will see the result of his actions for a year with sufficient clarity to know if they have helped or hurt. Based on stock market changes since inauguration, Obama has done much better than Bush did in the 2+ months following his inauguration in 2001. When I pointed that out with numbers before I was told that it wasn't fair to hold Bush responsible because he inherited a recession from Clinton. I agreed and asked how it was any more appropriate to hold Obama responsible for what he inherited from Bush. On that there was no answer.

    With respect to my "song", it is what it is. I wasn't planning to write anything since the "theme" for the songs was clearly defined. However, Richard extended the invitation and I responded in the 20 minutes between returning from work and going to my daughter's for dinner. I will admit that it is not as researched as most of my posts, but I think the facts would hold pretty well -- certainly in comparison with most POTUS epistles. The opinions are not ones for which I expected any particular endorsement.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Richard Halstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lino Lakes, MN north metro area
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Jeff,
    you make the assumption that if we don't like what Obama is doing we area Bush backer. I feel two wrongs don't make a right. I think we should have gone in a different cutting taxes and letting businesses fail after they can't restructure.

    There should be a shake up in the Democratic Party removing the status of Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid they work for us not that they are the Lords and Lady of the Goverment.

    Obama should be called "Kahoutek" after the comet for it too wasn't as bright as I thought it would be after all the campaign pronises of change and surrounds himself with Clinton staff.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

    http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

  6. #26
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Halstead View Post
    Jeff,
    you make the assumption that if we don't like what Obama is doing we area Bush backer. I feel two wrongs don't make a right. I think we should have gone in a different cutting taxes and letting businesses fail after they can't restructure.

    There should be a shake up in the Democratic Party removing the status of Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid they work for us not that they are the Lords and Lady of the Goverment.

    Obama should be called "Kahoutek" after the comet for it too wasn't as bright as I thought it would be after all the campaign pronises of change and surrounds himself with Clinton staff.
    Richard,
    I don't think you'll see a lot of praise for Obama in my "song" -- it was actually aimed more at humor (Where else can you find lines like "The economy went soaring, as did his wick, Proving screwing could happen without Tricky Dick." when speaking of Clinton?).

    Personally, I think that tax cuts would have been the most expensive and least productive form of stimulus, particularly since there would then have been a strong move to make those cuts permanent. I don't have serious issues myself with the stimulus plan as it stands but I am not at all happy with the budget proposals.

    I understand those opposing the stimulus plan since I think it is a high risk program with uncertain results. Personally, I think it's lower risk than the alternatives but we won't know for a while. I do think the notion that we can somehow blame today's economy on Obama is both idiotic and hypocritical -- but that's just me. The guy has only been President for 2 1/2 months, during which time the stock market went down and then came up to almost the same level it was at on the day he took his oath. In the comparable period in 2001, Bush saw the market go down almost 11%.

    EDIT: BTW, I love Jon Stewart's coverage of Obama. He's great with the skewer.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 04-01-2009 at 10:33 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Richard Halstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lino Lakes, MN north metro area
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    I see that the contest is over for real, because of my mistake I will send a book to Bon and Brian Welch. The others that seriosly made an attempt, send your address and postage and every participant that wrote a parody will receive a copy of the book.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

    http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

  8. #28
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    As I noted on another thread, if we use the same standard for Obama that this forum used for Bush the answer would be never. Personally, I don't think we will see the result of his actions for a year with sufficient clarity to know if they have helped or hurt. Based on stock market changes since inauguration, Obama has done much better than Bush did in the 2+ months following his inauguration in 2001. When I pointed that out with numbers before I was told that it wasn't fair to hold Bush responsible because he inherited a recession from Clinton. I agreed and asked how it was any more appropriate to hold Obama responsible for what he inherited from Bush. On that there was no answer.

    With respect to my "song", it is what it is. I wasn't planning to write anything since the "theme" for the songs was clearly defined. However, Richard extended the invitation and I responded in the 20 minutes between returning from work and going to my daughter's for dinner. I will admit that it is not as researched as most of my posts, but I think the facts would hold pretty well -- certainly in comparison with most POTUS epistles. The opinions are not ones for which I expected any particular endorsement.
    I didn't ask for the forum standard....I asked for yours!!

    When will President Obama be responsible for HIS actions??
    Stan b & Elvis

  9. #29
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Halstead View Post
    I see that the contest is over for real, because of my mistake I will send a book to Bon and Brian Welch. The others that seriosly made an attempt, send your address and postage and every participant that wrote a parody will receive a copy of the book.
    You are much too kind Richard, but thank you for the gift of your work.
    I look forward to reading & learning from it and it will receive a valued place in my library. An e-mail has been sent to your Yahoo address.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  10. #30
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I didn't ask for the forum standard....I asked for yours!!

    When will President Obama be responsible for HIS actions??
    He is responsible now. As I noted in my response "Personally, I don't think we will see the result of his actions for a year with sufficient clarity to know if they have helped or hurt." All in all, I think the early indications are somewhat positive, but that may prove illusory.

    As of this moment, the DOW is trading higher than it closed on the day Obama was inaugurated (January 20) 72 days ago. I believe that is resulting at least in part because of the actions of Bush beginning in September and Obama beginning with his inauguration. It has been a tumultuous period and a lot more challenges are coming. Unemployment is still rising, The housing market is still in a downturn. Much of the positive movement by the market is based on positive anticipations of government stimuli, not any real growth or turnaround. Success requires that private investment and economic growth kick in and supplant the need for on-going stimulus. Hopefully that will happen, but it has not happened yet.

Similar Threads

  1. Song (GDG)
    By Keith Farmer in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
  2. GDG song GDG
    By Hoosier in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 06:53 AM
  3. Minnesota Global Warming Song GDG
    By Creek Retrievers in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
  4. Kansas City American Royal Barbeque Contest - GDG
    By DSemple in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 09:39 PM
  5. Lawsuit over Christmas song GDG obviously!
    By Bob Gutermuth in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •