The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow sits

Default slow sits

I was thinking about slow sits and the e-collar the other day....after reading some previous posts..

If your timing of the collar correction falls exactly as the dog is sitting (just before the butt touches the ground) will this lead to slow sits? Does the dog associate the correction with 'almost' sitting and not want to put himself in that position? And if you use continuous pressure, rather than a nick, does it make sense that this could make slow sits even worse?

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Where and when are you getting slow sits?
    If you're blowing the sit whistle and not getting the speedy response but a slow reluctant sit, nick with collar - not continuous . Start on Low and if you don't get a good response, use the next level button.- if you are using a 3 regularly - use that same #. As you nick- Say "SIT".
    It doesn't happen immediately. You should get a good response in one session if you keep at it on all the sits in that training session.
    You shouldnt have to keep saying "Sit" after a couple of higher nicks.
    When you see the dog sitting faster be sure to give lots of praise for the Sit before your next command.
    Keep praising!

I am not getting slow sits...I just find myself thinking about different training issues..reading posts here and elsewhere, talking to people....It dawned on me that the timing of correction could actually be the cause of slow sits, loopy sits, etc....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sky_view View Post
    I am not getting slow sits...I just find myself thinking about different training issues..reading posts here and elsewhere, talking to people....It dawned on me that the timing of correction could actually be the cause of slow sits, loopy sits, etc....

Juli
    Not if the dog is properly collar conditioned.

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

kinda what I was referring to.... if timing during cc is not correct - you end up with the wrong kind of response...

slow fetch,
    slow sit,
    slow here...

A lot of people mistake slowness with lack of pressure (not enough) or maybe even too much - which is probably the case some of the time...but how often should it actually be attributed to incorrect timing?

Juli

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sky_view View Post
    kinda what I was referring to.... if timing during cc is not correct - you end up with the wrong kind of response...

slow fetch,
    slow sit,
    slow here...

A lot of people mistake slowness with lack of pressure (not enough) or maybe even too much - which is probably the case some of the time...but how often should it actually be attributed to incorrect timing?

Juli
    Slow sits/no sits are usually a product of the dog being loose. Usually caused by the handler casting too fast, and the terminal result is a dog that autocasts.

Ask Me How I Know Regards;

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Van Loo View Post
    Slow sits/no sits are usually a product of the dog being loose. Usually caused by the handler casting too fast, and the terminal result is a dog that autocasts.

Ask Me How I Know Regards;

Lisa
    No sits I agree with the above. Slow sits are different and are the result of timing. Absolutely.
    Practice, practice and you'll get to Carnegie Hall- or at least you'll get your dog to sit promptly.
    You do need this because as you may have noticed (!) if the dog has a sloppy stop and a slow sit it will be way offline to the blind or mark. Plus it is a way of blowing you off.

The timing is so essential as Juli says.
    If the dog is slow sitting after the first coupla nicks and the verbal Sit, then as it is sitting, nick. It does understand. Just doesnt want to break momentum or work with you.

You can try running a line to a known blind and stop several times on the way and use this system. Then repeat it letting the dog line the blind so you dont create a popping problem.
    On the repeat,look for the dog's ears- if it is turning its head to listen for the whistle, just let it run. If it slows down or turns to stop without a command , you need a loud Back and possibly a nick.

What would you do for a sloppy sit without a collar correction as one of your tools?
    Would you walk on lead at heal whistle then crop until he sat faster and would that translate to the field?

Nice topic Juli
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Low level continuous direct pressure i've found can result in a slow sits. I prefer to use a momentary nick, as in CC a dog initially. If the CC is good, and you're seeing slow sits in the field, then go do BB blind and half way to bumper blow a sit whistle immediately followed by another whistle and the momentary nick. This works well for loopy sits and dogs that don't sit square. Few days to a week of this will establish a new standard, with an enforceable method when you return to field work.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"