The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending Off to Trainer - First Time

Default Sending Off to Trainer - First Time

I will be sending my girl off to a pro (first time for both of us) in three weeks. I was wondering if there were any tips you all could give me. She will be going primarily for FF. They are about 2 hours drive so I will be visiting often. How much is too much -every weekend or every other okay?
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Betty CLF (11/02/94-04/02/06)
    Heartland's Lazy Lightning, "Boozer" YLF

Got married, got a dog; got divorced...kept the dog!

Get a second job or cash in the IRA...

Seriously communication with the pro without nagging or micro managing..offering to throw birds during training sessions...monitor your dogs progress or lack of it and document all communications. dont be afraid to make a change if you feel you and the dog are being short changed...You own the dog...the trainer works for you..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by bonbonjovi View Post
    HAHA..beat me to it Bon.

Edit: Except my trainer who is quite reasonable...(thought I'd throw that in there, you know, just in case she reads this..)

Last edited by Clark; 03-23-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    Chris N. Clark

Don't give him any training advise. If you don't think he's compitant you shouldn't take your dog there.

Don't bug him a lot. Remember if your trainer is answering the phone or always returning calls/emails, he/she probably isn't training much.

Don't go visit for at least a month. This will only slow the progression of your dog. Needs to get used to his new enviroment and don't need you around reminding him of those lazy days sitting on the couch eating doritos.

Pay promtly.

Listen. Ask a question. Listen some more.

Throw birds and watch the other dogs that arrived on the truck around the same time as yours. Watch those that have been around longer. This will give you an idea of what to expect and when.

Watch your trainer bringing all of the dogs to the line. The little things are very important. Notice how he brings each of them to the line. What is the same? What is different?

Throw your "waterdog", "smartworks", etc, etc books in the closet. Bring them back out if YOU ever want to train your dog again. Don't suggest that you send you dog on 2 whistles or run blinds to bushes at 6 months.

Enjoy the experience. If you approach it as a learning experience for you and your dog you can really get a lot out of it. I wouldn't trade the friendships and knowledge that I got for anything.

Throw more birds....
    Jason Brion
    www.jlbretrievers.com

HRCH Brion's Zoey MH QAA
    HR Ruff River's Black Magic Marker MH QAA
    HRCH JLB Rough's Roman Goddess MH QAA
    HR JLB Steady As A Rock JH

I agree that you shouldn't go out for a while....I'm the same distance from my pro, atleast 2 hours. I didn't go out for about 3 weeks, maybe 4 I don't remember. Gives the dog a chance to adjust.

I get out once a week to train there. I could go twice and they'd probably welcome me twice. They are great! But he's also farther along, mostly marks/blinds, transition work. I think forcing is quite different. I think when they're doing that, probably no visits until that nasty part is done.

Ask lots of questions but keep your eyes and ears open. And one pro who used to let me train with him even though I didn't have a dog on his truck (very generous ya know!) told me once that the best compliment is that you take their advice and USE IT!!! Don't ask questions, get an answer, then do your own thing or blow them off or come up with something "new and improved". (Probably won't work anyhow!)
    It shows that you respect their training and that you're doing your homework. It's actually a favor to your dog and the best gift you can give him/her=consistency.

Good luck!
    Real dogs don't wear "outfits"

Wiley's Firecracker*** JH 5/18/01-5/02/12
    Fargo's Most Wanted***
    Table Rock's Real McCoy***

If you've done your homework, trust him. Listen to him. Ask questions. Don't worry about your dog not remembering you; they ALWAYS do. I promise the first time you do go visit (the month out advice is good) your dog will be so excited to see you.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Along with the second job don't forget to order a box of checks...you'll need them!

Let the pro tell you when is appropriate to visit. But don't let it go longer than a month or so between visits so you can evaluate your dogs progress for yourself.

I agree that trust is the #1 thing. My pup has been in CA since the first of January and won't be back until the first week of May. My pro is very good about keeping me up to date with semi-regular calls and I trust him completely with my pup. Doesn't hurt that I spent all last spring/summer/fall training with him every weekend so we're on good terms.

Enjoy the ride!
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Don't suprise your pro with a visit, call and make an appointment. Make sure visits are allowed during force fetch. Some pros don't want clients visiting during this time.
    ________
    Ford Mtx-75 Transmission Picture
    Last edited by Eddie Sullivan; 03-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sullivan View Post
    Don't suprise your pro with a visit
    This is great advise! Good way to get your dog back early.

Don't pull your dog off the truck at a trial without asking first.

Don't bring your friends by after hours or on the weekends.

Don't brag about your dog to the other people in your camp. If they have been around awile they know what a good dog is...the don't need you to point it out.

And the guy who said that if you ask a question listen was right on. Listen and put the answer into action. No greater compliment or insult.
    Jason Brion
    www.jlbretrievers.com

HRCH Brion's Zoey MH QAA
    HR Ruff River's Black Magic Marker MH QAA
    HRCH JLB Rough's Roman Goddess MH QAA
    HR JLB Steady As A Rock JH

Quote Originally Posted by bonbonjovi View Post

I made a one-time investment to pay for my dog habit. I bought a townhouse for a rental unit. I collect enough rent to campaign one Pro trained dog including vet bills. Plus, I get the evaluation for the property if I sell it.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.