2 9.52%
  • It is 4 different marks

19 90.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stationary Bird Boy???

Default Stationary Bird Boy???

Hello All,
    A question.
    My Dad has offered to toss birds for me. He does not move around very well. He is willing to go out into a field and sit in a chair, but not move around to multiple stations. Now I have a couple fields that I train it that are very large. In theory I could plop him in one spot put out a scarecrow and bumper boy a ways away from him for a second gunning station and circle him with a dog, or two. So, what’s the question you ask? Would 4 separate marks run from 4 corners of a field to it’s center, each over 150 yards with rolling terrain changes, be in the dogs mind repeating the same mark? Or 4 different marks?

Thank You all
    Ken Bora
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 03-23-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Kristie Wilder

Can he drive a 4-wheeler/quad? (do you have one?) That's how we do our "walking singles" -- we just zip to each one...

No do not own a 4 wheeler, but the fields in question are no driving allowed anyway.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Kristie Wilder

ok, so back to the original question... If you put someone in the middle and ran from four corners of a large field, it would be four different marks simply because the line would be so different.

The question would be whether all four of them would be USEFUL... If there's a wind, then at some point if you had four distinct lines, the wind would probably be in your face for one of them...

I don't think it's a bad idea in the right field. You can get away with it probably in most cases.

-K (who thanks God that we can drive all over every field we train on...)

Hi Ken, You don't always have to put the marks in the middle. You could use parts of the field. You don't always have to use all of the field at once. Set up a couple marks like you said , one with your dad and one with a BB, then move your location for 2 or maybe 3 looks at it. bring 2 dogs and alternate working and honor.. that itself is great training.... Work with what ya got. Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

How about this. I don't know what level your dogs are at, but as a regular drill we do a mark from one position, and run blinds around it. You could throw one mark, run one blind, change positions and do something similar. You have to find a way to let dad participate! (sorry, not very detailed, but I guess you know way better than me the concept here.)
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post
    -K (who thanks God that we can drive all over every field we train on...)
    This time of year Kristie, with the frost coming out of the ground. Very few fields may be driven in, even with 4-wheelers. This is the time all the farmers wait and watch and hope to be the first on their fields. The transition from frozen solid to normal ground involves a couple weeks when the top 4 inches or more is like pudding. You remember frozen ground donít you?

Ken Bora

Ken I get help from one person. I don't look to set up several series. What I do is to put that person at the key mark where it counts. Long Middle bird retired. Indented mark retired and so on. I like the technical series over many nontechnical series.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    This time of year Kristie, with the frost coming out of the ground. Very few fields may be driven in, even with 4-wheelers. This is the time all the farmers wait and watch and hope to be the first on their fields. The transition from frozen solid to normal ground involves a couple weeks when the top 4 inches or more is like pudding. You remember frozen ground donít you?

Ken Bora
    Yeah, but not in terms of dog training, which i didn't do til I moved down here... We're just generally spoiled. I remember when I was looking at going to the MN in California and there was some potential training property where we would park on a road and hike in a few hundred yards. That's just too inefficient for me! (LOL, but I know in some areas you just have to deal with that) But I guess that's why I'm not a skinny trainer.

-K

The meat of the mark is the factors getting there. I voted 4 different marks. Course I would suggest not doing this everyday as I could see this leading to potentially creating a temptation to returning to old falls.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"