The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging up my Amish Hat

Default Hanging up my Amish Hat

Took my girl to her first picnic trial today. The birds were stinkie the set up was even stinkier. So disappointed. She had been improving so much in training and now I dont know how far she has been set back. Now I am not blaming all on the test, I have a mirror, but in my opinion junior dogs should not have to deal with mass confusion.
    Anyway the road home was long and I have decided that this game is too expensive to just get ones big toe wet. I've decided to hang up my Amish hat and go electric. I've made up my mind that collar training is kinder than a heeling stick or other amish methods. Besides what I've been doing isn't working and I would like her to get at least a junior title before she turns twelve (shes 3) and while I can still walk without a cane.
    So here is my question- what do I do with my girl while awaiting delivery of my new collar?
    If you dont want someone to get your goat
    dont tell them where you tied it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DogSquaw View Post
    So here is my question- what do I do with my girl while awaiting delivery of my new collar?
    Fundamentals. Keep marking her, and make sure your obedience is rock solid. She needs to be stable before you begin e-collar conditioning.

Keep it balanced.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Please don't learn how to use an ecollar by putting it on your dog and pushing the button.
    Address this problem the same way you would learn how to fly.
    Find someone who knows how to use one and is willing to explain the basics to you and then demonstrate the technique. Once you clearly understand the psychology of the program you can try to apply it to your dog.
    Otherwise your first flight may be your last.
    Duckworth Retrievers

Thumbs up

Oh Janey, don’t despair.
    Come sit by the fire here and let me tell you a story. When I entered my first retriever test it was a club test. Like a picnic trial just for fun no AKC or NAHRA points. I brought 2 Chesapeakes; both had one season of duck hunting. I had only watched one licensed test before that, a NAHRA field test. I watched the test dog and many other handlers from all walks of life before it was my turn. I was full of red neck pride coming to line. After all I was a real duck hunter not some poser like all the doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs that ran before me. Well dog number one was up first. She ran out and had never ever seen a duck as nasty as that. Instead of picking it up she played with it, rolled on it, and walked away. It was all I could do to not die of embarrassment on the spot. But all was not lost, I still had dog number two, the younger one and the one everyone said was “too much dog” for a rookie like me. So dog number two comes to like not all perfect like number one but pulling and tugging at the rope. Bird is tossed and she is straining to be released. Judges call and I release and she flies out with such speed and style I had to comment, ”yea she is a hunting dog” Gets to the bird and it is the same story. Feet in air back on bird full body wiggle happy dance on the incredibly nasty very dead bird. And, I say AND I could not call her back. I had to walk out and get her and carry back the bird myself!!!! I wanted to run away. I wanted to dig a hole and crawl into it. I knew every person on the planet was watching me walk back to the line carrying that stinky, nasty, slippery, duck in my hand. I put the dog in the truck. Put the bird in the truck to take home. Went out and threw birds for the rest of the test. The support of every club member after the test blew me away. Everyone had a similar story. From that test I was so motivated, best thing or worst thing that ever happened to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Fundamentals. Keep marking her, and make sure your obedience is rock solid. She needs to be stable before you begin e-collar conditioning.

Keep it balanced.

Evan
    Evan is spot on here.
    Best of luck, we have all been there

Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Fetch-Hold I do plan to learn the proper use of the ecollar before using. I apologize if I sounded like a "gona get a collar and teach her a lesson" kind of person. I am going with the collar because I have been unsuccessful with amish methods and decided to submit my ego and do what seems to be working for most people that I have talked to.
    Ken- I didnt care what the people at the test thought of me, I was disappointed that the test was so poorly set up that Dot (that's my girl) lost so much footing. She didnt break or whine but she sure was confused. I have run picnics with this group before and never seen the such. I'll keep going and trying 'cause thats what I do.
    Thanks for the support and advice guys. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DogSquaw View Post
    Get a leash and work on OB. Most line problems can be worked on without a ecollar.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Most of the time,maybe 95% of the time I use the heeling stick for line manners.I try to save the collar for when my dogs are out of my reach.I don't know if this is right or wrong,but I don't want them to be a nervous wreck @ the line.

Bryan.

Hi DogSquaw,
    Was this picnic trial in Scappose, OR?

Yes it was Duckbane, were you there? Am I wrong about the poor setup?

Red face

Not exactly sure about the set up because it was my first trial situation ever. But i can say that the guy shooting the pigeons was a rookie. Unfortunatly it was me and had never shot an over/under before and i had a few complications that probally caused the two of you a little grief. Sorry! I hope you dont shock your dog because I can't opperate a shotgun. HAHA