The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Golden Puppy Alaska Update

Default Golden Puppy Alaska Update

UPDATE ON PUPPY Jan met Daryl at SeaTac. I guess spot went straight to Jan upon introduction, end of story. She now owns a alpha golden with a white spot on its forehead. Now the big story: Dispite having reserved space in cargo for the dogs, Alaska Air refused to ship dogs due to the ReDoubt eruption, Jan and Daryl both had seats on the same plane, Jan had a in cab carry bag for her pup so she ended up flying north to Alaska. Daryl ended up splitting a room with 5 other dog owners and calling her hub to come back and get her, a 4 hr drive over Snoqualimi Pass with a blizard. She will reschedule and fly again in a few days. Jans flight to Anchorage was diverted to Fairbanks, 400 miles north. AA would not do squat for her or others on the plane, just said they were in Alaska, and not reponsible for a "act of God". I guess several groups of about 5 each ended up renting cars and driving to Anchorage that night for about $500 per car for one way rental. I think they were told by AA that they could hang out in Fairbanks a few days at thier own epense and AA would get them back to Anchorage eventually. She called me at 5am, home at last, and wanting instructions on how to turn the water back on in the house.....Bud
    Bud Bass, aka akblackdawg

"Your life today is a result of your attitude and the decisions you made yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitude and the decisions you make today." unknown

Congratulations! .. to Jan...and "Spot". Hope there will be an update with registered name when it is decided!! Picture?

Best of Luck..and have fun

Judy

Oh my goodness. What a nightmare!!!!! Best to them and good luck with the new pup.

Paula

Glad to hear that Jan and 'Spot' made it home and sounds like a great way to pick a pup!!!! Sounds like a nightmare for traveling!

Can't wait to meet the new little guy....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

At least it sounds like the most important thing happened and she got the "Right Pup".

Sorry about the whole traveling disaster story, it sounds awful and very expensive.

Can not wait to see pictures when everyone is safely settled in their correct locations.

Colleen

Senior Member Moosetogooseranch's Avatar

Wow! You would think Alaska Airlines would do Better than that. It's to Bad that it's so Scary flying your Dog in Cargo. It really should not have to be like that. Thank God everybodies Home safe and sound.
    Micki

Bill & Micki
    Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

I don't really want to come to Alaska Airline's defense to much.

But, they've been cancelling flights to up here right and left. No one knows what that volcano's going to do. Or exactly where that ash is going to go.

Better to have haphazard schedules on flights than have an airplane go down with all aboard.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I don't really want to come to Alaska Airline's defense to much.

But, they've been cancelling flights to up here right and left. No one knows what that volcano's going to do. Or exactly where that ash is going to go.

Better to have haphazard schedules on flights than have an airplane go down with all aboard.
    Howard, i agree fully with that, what my problem was with Alaska is why didn't they charter a bus for a plane load of people and get them to Anchoarge that night. In my opinion they took repsponsibility for the passengers when they flew them to Alaska. If the flight had been cancelled at SeaTac, that would have been another story, blame the valcano. What if somebody flew up there with only a couple dollars cash, they would have to camp in the airport and have nothing to eat until AA decided to fly them to Anchorage. Things like that do happen. Bud
    Bud Bass, aka akblackdawg

"Your life today is a result of your attitude and the decisions you made yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitude and the decisions you make today." unknown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Howard, i agree fully with that, what my problem was with Alaska is why didn't they charter a bus for a plane load of people and get them to Anchoarge that night. In my opinion they took repsponsibility for the passengers when they flew them to Alaska. If the flight had been cancelled at SeaTac, that would have been another story, blame the valcano. What if somebody flew up there with only a couple dollars cash, they would have to camp in the airport and have nothing to eat until AA decided to fly them to Anchorage. Things like that do happen. Bud
    And, why didn't they call Daryl and tell her they would NOT be accepting the dogs? They know she was traveling with two crates.

WRL