The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda

Default Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda

Just wanting to get some stories form your guys on some of your dogs that you think could have made a showing in the trial circuit but was never used for those reasons. Maybe he/she was just a hunting dog or a pet but you know deep down that from their characteristics they would have been good at it. Or from the overwhelming drove in the duck blind you are certain you could have beaten some of the so-called field trial dogs out there. Just wondering. Cant wait to here some of your stories
    GEAUX TIGERS
    LSU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LAwaterfowler View Post
    Just wanting to get some stories form your guys on some of your dogs that you think could have made a showing in the trial circuit but was never used for those reasons. Maybe he/she was just a hunting dog or a pet but you know deep down that from their characteristics they would have been good at it. Or from the overwhelming drove in the duck blind you are certain you could have beaten some of the so-called field trial dogs out there. Just wondering. Cant wait to here some of your stories
    Just what is a "so called field trial dog?" Sounds like you're trying to pick a fight.

Unless someone has run field trials, how could they make the comparison?

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

I think this is a good time for popcorn and a drink!

only time will tell,

Kevin
    "SR Isabel's Going for gold"
    "Kallie's Anatomy Of Grey"

Both lazy house pets untill you ask, "do you want to go play"!

I had a Super Tanker daughter, littermate, to NAFC Rams dam. She was to go south with a well known trainer and the day before they were to leave I got a call from him saying he had a big bucks client that wanted to send a second dog, would i clear a spot on the truck. He didn't take her and she really never caught up to where she might have been.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Just doing it for fun to hear some stories about dogs who were great friends, companions, and hunters. We all want top dogs with high drive and the competiton ability. Just wanted to hear about the "other" dogs you own or have owned. That were like i said great friends and hunters that were the best at their own jobs. Being a good dog, getting birds, or just laying around the yard
    GEAUX TIGERS
    LSU!!!

By the way you never know if the dog can be a field trial dog. Anyone can enter a dog in a licensed trial, but it's not really a Field Trial dog until yoou have a chance at picking up places. I hear a lot of people saying there dog should have beenin trials he retrieves every dummy I throw and never wants to quit.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Uh... I have had some wonderful dogs. I don't think that any of them would have made it in field trials. Field trial dogs have to be able to count. Old Jim Bob who is sure his dog is better than those so called field trial dogs don't know what the hell he's flappin his jibs about. (if your name is Jim Bob no offense)

I have had some of the greatest dogs anybody could ever want. Field trial material? I just don't think so unless you spend the money and get the pedigree. I have one now with the pedigree and I think he's got the juice. I think he's missing out on the trainer (me) , but we'll see.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kb27_99 View Post
    I think this is a good time for popcorn and a drink!

only time will tell,

Kevin
    Yep, there is always someone that has to assume the worst of a person when they post something. Never fails around here.

Quote Originally Posted by To Train View Post
    Yep, there is always someone that has to assume the worst of a person when they post something. Never fails around here.
    I'm not too big on absolutes like "always" and "never" with many things. I'm really leary when folks who train dogs use the terminology.

I'm a "glass half full" person when it comes to RTF culture and use.

I'm confident that K G saw a potential concern with what appears to have been a matter of word choice and nothing more. I'm confident that this will be a civil discussion - as are most on RTF.

Chris

My current dog absolutely could have been a player except for one problem.....me.

Chris if I may paraphrase a statement you made in another post, "My dog has been home schooled", but by a "parent" that never went to school themself
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com