RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

I think I may have screwed up

4K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Grant Dasbach 
#1 ·
Well I brought my fiance to her first hunt test yesterday Cajun HRC. She loved it. She came home and started looking for a chocolate pup of her own. So it looks like sometime this summer we will have another pup in the house. She wants to go shopping for some camoflage also. I think I have created a monster. In all seriousness it will be fun to have her enjoy the game that I do. Now I dont have to have an excuse if we need training tools.

#4 ·
"she wants to go shopping for camo"

as a husband of a hunting wife, and a father of three girls that hunt, let me officially tell you that you are screwed now.

They not only want camo, but it all has to match, and they have to have all of the accessories. Even if they aren't necessary, they have to have the complete set.

"Dad....these waders are Duck Blind, and this jacket is Cover-up...and my hat is Delta and the gloves have DU on them. I need new stuff."

yeah buddy.......congratulations.

and you had better hope her dog doesn't surpass yours...:p

#7 ·
Now, now, fellas. As the hunting, dog training female partner in our house, I have to say Congratulations! Just think of all the QUALITY TIME he will get to spend with his honey. Of course he's going to be much happier spending all weekend at the HT with his sweetheart instead of hanging with all those guys. Who wants guy talk, beer, scratching and burping when they can have those few stolen moments of driving to find a bathroom, analyzing all the different camo looks of the other women, and stopping to find that one article of clothing she just "has to have"??? It just can't compare.

At least, that's what my honey tells me. Especially when my dog smokes his.....

#8 ·
That's way Cool and next she will be wanting a Pretty White Coat. :p
I am Glad your having fun with your pup.
Micki

#9 · (Edited)
My girlfriend has gotten very much into hunting/fishing/ice fishing/dog training with me as well.

When we go to Cabela's it's a blast!!
No junk for the redhead!!

Every time we go it's another $250-$300.

I have Danners from 25 years ago, everything for her has to be matched and coordinated.
4 sets of boots (brand new), 1 for for every application!!
Coordinated wools for ice fishing.
Light fleececamo for training.
"Scent Lock" outfit for bow hunting.
Now she wants a double turkey blind!!
2 seats, a cooler in the middle and a pull over camo canopy!!
WE don't turkey hunt!!
She just thinks we should have it!

I love it!!

As far as the filet knife??
If she learns to clean the game, life will be perfect!!

#10 ·
We aren't that bad. It is nice to have at least one new set per season...and running tests it, gotta be prepared for hot, cold, rain all in one weekend ;)

Alison

#11 ·
You didn't screw up, you lucked out. If she didn't like it then at some point she would begin to complain about your time spent dog training, testing, etc. The complaining only gets worse with time. Again, you lucked out. Sounds like you picked a winner.

#13 ·
Enjoy the fact your best friend shares your passion, you my friend have found the secret to a joyous life & happiness!!

Just trust me on this one!!

#14 ·
You got lucky with her! Plus she wants a chocolate!!!:)

#19 ·
FYI, it makes birthday and Christmas gifts easier. At least she wants stuff you know something about. Brad was so excited when I took him into Sportsmans and showed him what I wanted him to buy.

#27 ·
My wife did this when we first got married, but stopped after she had our first child. It was nice I would try and make her think it was her ideal to buy the equipment and then she could not blame me for not having money to eat with. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
My wife has been handling the obedience and tracking work with the dogs but decided to join me out in the fields with our 9 year old. She's helped me with field training before and I really enjoy having her out there. She runs the wingers and launchers as good as any guy. And she thinks about things like bringing lunches and snacks that I never do.

Her older girl is making great progress so she's decided to try to put an SHR and JH on her this summer. But she's not all that into cammo so she got a pink cammo cap and matching collar for the dog. I can't wait to see the looks on some of HRC judges. Actually the pink collar looks kind of striking on the dog with her black hair glistening in the sun as she runs across the field. But we'll have a spare cap and collar with us just in case a judge doesn't share her fashion sense.

Hal

#30 ·
At least your wives/girlfriends are into this stuff. Mine can't stand it that I have another hobby that my money goes too!

throwing birds? Ha! she still can't believe there are frozen wings, and pigeons in my freezer, let alone touch them. But she loves to eat duck so that's a plus!

#33 ·
Truthfully I am blessed she really makes an effort to enjoy whatever it is that I like to do. If not enjoy she tries to learn about it so at least she knows what it is I am doing. I think I will keep her.

#36 ·
I have learned that I either embrase Brad's hobbies, or I never see him. I have rode dirt bikes along with him (okay, a long ways behind him), I have scraped mud off the minisprint, now I train dogs and occassionally go hunting. (I did have to go buy all matching camo, just in case I wanted to go more often;)).

Congrats on the wedding, it's just a month away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.