The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness (PC) – the loss of words and phrases

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Johndrow View Post
    Say what mean and mean what you say regards
    Agreed.

(Apparently the computer thinks that "agreed" is too short... so much for rhetorical punch... oh well.)
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    One of the most damaging PC terms has been referring to the poor as the "less fortunate". That term is insidious in that it has permeated the public psyche and lends us to believe that if you are financially comfortable, then you must be lucky and if you are poor, you must simply be unlucky.
    While there are many situations where chance plays a role in your success, for the most part your station in life can be directly attributed to the effort you put into your education and your occupation.
    For those who chose not to get an education, who chose not to work hard for long hours, who chose criminal behavior or alcoholism or teen pregnancy, it is very difficult to take responsibility. It's much easier to consider yourself "less fortunate" than lazy or irresponsible. The problem is that this mentality is what leads to many of our social problems and we have a whole group of well-meaning folks who are quick to make excuses for the "less fortunate" and demonize the evil "rich" and so you get what we have here today in this country.
    Ditto that.

They changed the name of Jewfish to Goliath Grouper a few years back. I still don’t know anyone who calls them GG, they always have been and always will be jewfish.

There is a street in my town named Coon Road. About 4-5 years ago someone decided that was offensive to the black folks. They got the NAACP and a host of others involved. All the rhetoric was about how this name came from days of segregation and in the name of political correctness it should be changed.

The only thing they did not bother to check out was that one of the old time families (and I mean back to the founding of our town) who still lives on the road was named……yep you guessed it ….the Coons.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

One of the most absurd examples is the DC City official who got in hot water a few years ago for using the word "niggardly" in front of a bunch of DC's less fortunates. Had he said, "cheap ass mo'fo" instead he would have received a bunch of knowing nods from the crowd instead of the near-instant cries for his head on a platter.

I live in Milwaukee.

Marquette University!!

The Marquette WARRIORS are now ths Marquette golden eagles!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    One of the most damaging PC terms has been referring to the poor as the "less fortunate". That term is insidious in that it has permeated the public psyche and lends us to believe that if you are financially comfortable, then you must be lucky and if you are poor, you must simply be unlucky.
    While there are many situations where chance plays a role in your success, for the most part your station in life can be directly attributed to the effort you put into your education and your occupation.
    For those who chose not to get an education, who chose not to work hard for long hours, who chose criminal behavior or alcoholism or teen pregnancy, it is very difficult to take responsibility. It's much easier to consider yourself "less fortunate" than lazy or irresponsible. The problem is that this mentality is what leads to many of our social problems and we have a whole group of well-meaning folks who are quick to make excuses for the "less fortunate" and demonize the evil "rich" and so you get what we have here today in this country.

My dad has two saying…I am sure they aren’t original but he still uses them

1) The harder I work the luckier I get
    2) Someone has to haul the garbage….remember him saying to me and my brother when we weren’t putting out effort.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Talking

his makes as much sense to me as most of the above blah, blah, blah.
    BuddyHackett-duck.wmv

You should have opted for a fourth cut-n-paste of the make believe Citibank story. At least it was, a) in English, b) made sense and c) was amusing.

Though I detest the neutering of God fearing Anglo Saxom holidays, words and phrases, and the general de-masculination of the language, the PC term which I find most repugnant is "collateral damage". Why the blazes can't the military thought police just say "we killed innocent civilians; women and children and non combatant males of fighting age were accidently killed and maimed"?

War is hell the truth about it needs to be looked squarely in the face, please don't dress it up in a frock and expect me to put it on...and that reminds me, "friendly fire" is not friendly, when you screw up and kill your own, do right by the dead, their families and the survivors and just say you made a tragic mistake and you took the lives of your own or your allies' brave fighting men and women.

Michael Rigby
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.