The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks for a First Timer

Default Tips and Tricks for a First Timer

Hello!

I am pretty new to the whole forum concept as well as raising a puppy to be a well mannered dog, but I know you all have been in in my shoes before so I am hoping y'all have tried and true tips to pass along

I am a new Chesapeake Bay Retriever owner. My little Charlie is 5months old and so brilliant and has so much potential, my issue is that I have never trained a puppy before so I am stumbling my way through this. we have a few things to work on with Charlie such as; Food aggression/Toy aggression, basic obedience training, Car sickness, Cat chasing, and eventually training her to Bird hunt. She is very treat motivated and I've taught her to "sit", "lay down" and were working on "come". I would love any tips you have on ways to combat the aggression, its top priority for me to correct.

Also im just wondering if anyone else has experienced their pup being "grumpy" and "grumbly" if you kneel or sit down next to the dog while they are laying down? Charlie gets grumbly if you pet here around 7:30pm and I am not sure if its a breed/dog trait or if she is being aggressive with me.

p.s.
    Charlie is a love bug and I am not afraid she will ever bite me, but I don't want to get to the point that I am afraid. We purchased her from a breeder and from what I could tell she seemed like a nice decent woman who wouldn't mistreat her dogs.

p.s.s. Here is my little CharlieBug in all of her goofy glory!!

IMG_0108.jpg IMG_0001.jpg

I would look up clubs in your area (Hunting Retriever Club, American Kennel Club or North American Hunting Retriever Association) and see if you could team up with someone else that has a Chessie or has trained with them before.

Thanks! I unfortunately live about 4 hrs from any close city that has a club. one of the drawbacks about living in a small town.

It is time for you to start taking the role of alpha. There are right ways and wrong ways of doing this. My suggestion is you take the time to drive to a professional retriever trainer. The things you need to learn are difficult to express in words. Charlie will soon start making the rules and that is the last thing you want with a chessie.

You could check on entry express or hunt secretary and see if there's a hunt test or field trial near you...if there is you can attend and ask around for people who train locally, even if it is without a club.

Not related to hunting but if you wanted to work on obedience you can look around for someone who runs an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy class or starter obedience class.

There is a lot of great info on this site from very knowledgable people. Also agree with the recommendation to get into a puppy OB class, or get a good DVD on the subject. Either way introduce structure and routine and make sure your whole family follows the structure and rules you install. I'm a newer Chessy owner as well (5 years) and wish I would have paid attention to OB earlier. Lucky enough to have a Chessy expert, along with some other great people, help me work on fixing my earlier mistakes.....and still making some, but a wonderful breed and very loyal. Chessy's, both the males and females, need an alpha owner. If you aren't, they will be. Another good idea is lots of exposure to other people and dogs. Take your little girl everywhere.

To learn how to establish both your and your dog's roles in the pack. I recommend the book "Leader of the Pack" written by Nancy Baer, Steve Duno. Great information the leads to a good citizen.

Then go here and explore the sight.
    http://www.totalretriever.com

Under resources, check out training tips.

IMO, The biggest problem most new trainers have is that they try to piece a dog's training together from loads of different, and often conflicting, sources. While it's good to gather info from many sources, it's very difficult for the inexperienced trainer to know what is and is not compatible. A comprehensive training program such as Mike Lardy's a Total Retriever Training will be a great help. A good training program doesn't just show you drills to teach a dog certain skills, it provides an overall training philosophy and approach, including methods to teach the skills, which you can then apply to a Miriad of different circumstances to maximize your dog's potential.

Some of the additional resources Mike recommends are:
    Dennis Voigt's Retrievers ONLINE,
    Jack Gwaltney's Training and Campaigning Retrievers, and
    DL Walters, Training Tetrievers to Handle.

Good luck.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    HRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona"
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

Thank you all! I just signed Charlie up for Obedience classes starting this Sunday! I am so excited to get her into something that will challenge and teach us both. I do take her every opportunity I get to Lowes and Tractor Supply and the pet stores around town. They are all pet friendly and I love getting her into places that will make her be around lots of smells and people. I do struggle being consistent with being dominate over her. Which is something I know I need to work on otherwise ill be in trouble. I've had a Lab before but he wasn't nearly as tenacious and stubborn as Charlie is. I have lots of learning and training for myself as well as her. I really appreciate the info you've given me.

One question I had was is there a certain time I should start getting her used to water and gunshots? Is there a preferred age to break her into that? She is very timid of water from the few times I've taken her to the river "beach" My lab from the get go was a water lover, he basically started growing gills!

I started with a new male lab pup about a year ago and, like you, had way more questions than answers. I still do, and I don't claim to be an expert by any means so please feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt!

As already mentioned, (in addition to a training group ect.) if you haven't gotten with a modern retriever training program, do so right away. After lots of deliberation I chose Hillmanns, "Training a Retriever Puppy" and was very happy with it. There are many other good ones as well.

Assuming that you are hoping to turn this pup into a working retriever/trial/hunting dog, a couple pieces of advice that I would offer (which I didn't garner from the program that I started with) are to start properly working on "hold" right away, and to avoid excessively "playing fetch" ie: throwing fun bumpers once a desire to retrieve is established.

I've been working hard to clean up poor mouth habits in my dog for a long time now. Habits that I believe were created by a combination of not properly teaching hold early on and throwing way too many 'fun bumpers'. I thought 'playing fetch' with my retriever pup was what I was supposed to do, in hindsight it did little to improve his training.
    Last edited by MNHunter; 03-15-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by makaylaviehweg View Post
    One question I had was is there a certain time I should start getting her used to water and gunshots? Is there a preferred age to break her into that? She is very timid of water from the few times I've taken her to the river "beach" My lab from the get go was a water lover, he basically started growing gills!
    These are complex questions with no short answers. The best advice that I can offer is to not rush it on either aspect.

Take your time, let your dog's desire to swim develop naturally. She's a Chessie, a water dog, and eventually she will learn to love the water. Take her to a place where she can run around in shallow water, let her watch other dogs who love to swim and it will come. Same thing with gun training. Start carrying a gun out when you go to play or train and she'll associate the sight of the gun with fun. Eventually you can introduce small caliber/blank pistol fire at a distance while she's having fun and slowly build from there.