The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HUNTERS: Which Shotgun?

Default HUNTERS: Which Shotgun?

Couldn't think of a better place to get a better opinion from some hunters. I'm about to be in the business of purchasing a new shotgun. So the question is, Benelli Super Black Eagle II or Beretta A400? Also, the cheaper version that Beretta sells (A300 for $650-$700) does anyone have this gun and whats your review on it? Thanks.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

You should move this thread to the product review forum
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Both excellent shotguns. Different operating systems between the Benelli and the Beretta. Benelli is an inertia system and Beretta gas. Another one you should think about adding to your list is the Browning A5, it essentially uses the same inertia system as the Benelli at a better price point. I personally don't love the feel of the SBE, the forearm seems skinny in my hand and it just doesn't shoulder as well for me. I have the Beretta 390 and the A5. I like both and they both shoot well. Buddy of mine got the new A300 and loves it, but you will get lots of good feedback on all of those models.

You really can't go wrong with either one on your list. Shoulder and swing them both multiple times and see how they feel. Pick the one that feels the best.
    Last edited by Migillicutty; 07-07-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    You should move this thread to the product review forum
    Not sure why.... this is a FAQ and the OP isn't providing a review of something....

That said, I love my SBE....
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

I have both a Super Black Eagle II and a Remington Versa Max.... (My husband has like one of everything... at least it seems like it...)

I love my SBE II for the reason Migillicutty doesn't. I'm 4 foot 11 and go about 100lbs and the thin design and lighter weight is perfect for me. It shoulders, for me, just like my Remington shot guns. Unless I shoot a youth gun most shot guns are too long for me but I have learned to cope and adjust for it without much issue. I use my SBE II for just about everything anymore... Turkeys, waterfowl, doves. I've taken it rabbit hunting once but a 12g is really over kill when you hunt with beagles

The Versa Max I do not like. It is heavy and it does not shoulder like my other Remington shotguns. It is wider in my hands.
    However when shooting trap loads the Versa Max does have less recoil than the SBE II but I can shoot either all day long and feel great.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

"Shoulder and swing them both multiple times and see how they feel. Pick the one that feels the best."

This is the best advice. Pick a gun that "fits" and feels right. It's almost all about "the mount".
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    Not sure why.... this is a FAQ and the OP isn't providing a review of something....

That said, I love my SBE....
    No your right, he isn't posting a review of a product, but he is asking for one. That said, glad you love your SBE....
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

I love my Supper Black Eagle 2 and for me it shoulders awesome. I happen to like the thinner forearm versus the Beretta.

I own a Beretta Extrema II and have owned it for approximately 7 years and love it. I do not have the "Kick Off" recoil reduction system, but it's a gas operated shotgun so the perceived recoil is already significantly reduced. I have used the gun under very harsh environmental conditions and I do a whole lot of waterfowling, hands down the best semi-auto shotgun I have ever owned, and there have been several makes and models along with both gas and inertial driven operating systems.

I will echo what others have said in that a shotgun that does not fit you well, will likely shoot far below it's potential in your hands. Find a gun that fits well and meets your additional requirments and you will be a happy gunner.

Cheers
    Irishwhistler

I looked at both when I bought an auto and both are great guns. It should be about which one fits and feels best to you. Try to shoot each one if you can at your local trap skeet range. If you know some guys that owns one try them both out. IF not go to the sporting good store and shoulder each one several times and see which you like best and feels best. Then come back another day and handle them both again. I suggest this time with your eyes closed then open your eyes and see if you are pointing at what you are looking at. That being said I bought a Winchester SX3 and I love it. Lightweight, low recoil, points wells, has never jammed in 4000 rounds even at -15. Good luck and good hunting.