Grain Free
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain Free

Default Grain Free

Anyone switch to either Nutrisource, Dr. Tims, or any other grain-free, why and what have you noticed with your dogs since switching?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

My pup does wildly better on grain free and has since coming off puppy food. Switched from blue Buffalo grain free to try pro plan 30/20 and didn't make it 4 weeks before loose stools were too much. Back to blue Buffalo, then switched to Dr Tim's grain free, although his coat immediately improved, 6 weeks had inconsistent stool with most being loose. No noticeable energy level change. Switched to taste of the wild pine forest blend (grain free) and haven't had any issues. Eye boogers have almost disappeared and stool is very solid. His coat is fine and shiny. I'll be sticking with TOTW but always will be grain free.
    Brett Shaffer

I switched to NutriSource about two months ago (grain free seafood) and have been really pleased with how the dogs like it and the quality and quantity of stool. I had them on Orijen grain free but opted to switch as Orijen is now manufactured in the US too instead of Canada where ingredients are a bit more tightly controlled. Time will tell if they maintain their condition but so far so good.

Switched following advise of vet due to itchy dog syndrome, with lots of skin irritation and inflamation. Suspected food allergies and switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish. Dog has shown long term improvement, not 100% convinced it's only the food, but not changing what works. Interestingly, she was fed PPP through a winter trip south, and showed no ill effects. Honestly, I've not compared nutritional value of Natural Balance vs Pro Plan. Other than cost, I've seen no adverse effects.

I switched from Dr. Tim's Pursuit to Dr. Tim's Kinesis Grain Free about 4 months ago due to my dog having EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency). Energy level is about the same and the grain free seems to helps with digestion. It also seems to mix better with his meds since he no longer produces B-12 or enzymes. I priced all grain free foods and for the quality I found Dr. Tim's to be a better fit.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH
    Kennedy's Midnight Storm Trooper "Truman"

My GSP has lupus of basal membrane. Couldn't keep hair on the dog with PPP. Switched to Taste of the Wild Sierra and he now has a beautiful coat and keeps his hair and skin. I plan on starting switching my new lab pup over to TOTW Puppy formula when he arrives. Only TOTW I don't like is the Pacific...dog smelled like the ocean within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    Anyone switch to either Nutrisource, Dr. Tims, or any other grain-free, why and what have you noticed with your dogs since switching?
    My dog has a food allergy and if I don't feed her grain-free she loses hair, gets patchy, itches and gets skin infections from scratching. I have her on Costco's Nature's Domain. She does very well on it and it is a good value.

Alot of good food posted here.

I've had my dog on Canidae grain free Salmon for most of his life... I do switch out protein formulas from time to time.. but he's been excellent on it.. and has a beautiful shiny coat (yes could be genetics)...

http://www.canidae.com/dog-food/prod...ea-dry-formula

Petco now carries Canidae it used to be only available in specialty stores.

Barb
    Last edited by Ten; 09-22-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Ten - BLM - FC AFC Bluenorth's Rock Hard Ten MH QA2 CC (at stud)
    stud link, info & photos on RTF: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for... FC AFC Ten MH

http://www.lanesend.com/rock-hard-ten-hard-to-beat.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Canidae - Natural Pet Foods - http://www.canidae.com
    K9 Advantix II- Take a bite out of Fleas, Ticks & Mosquitoes - http://www.advantixiicanine.com/
    OllyDog - New Tricks in Gear for Dogs - www.Ollydog.com

Dr. Tims is good stuff!! Nutrisource gave one of my pups baddd food allergies..
    On the run!! Always Stay MAXXED OUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    Switched to grain free Wellness Core food a few years ago. My dog no longer has any ear issues. Coat is like silk too.
    Freya
    Sunfire's Ketch Me If You Can, MH,UD, UDX (3) WCX