The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear

Thread: Cheek Infection

Default Cheek Infection

I just took my retriever Sniper to the vet for a swollen cheek. The vet has him on antibiotic and prednisone. Hopefully, this will take care of the problem. Interestingly, the dog also has small sores on his ear tips that we are treating, too. He does shake his head a bit. His dog food is Dr. Tim's grain free, chicken based. The cheek infection is not yet in need of a surgical draining. Any input would be gladly accepted.
    Maximum Intensity's Overwatch (AFC Ten Bear's Road Trip X Field of Dreams Destination Anywhere QAA)
    goehl.john@gmail.com
    If you are standing exactly on the South Pole and fart, it can only go up or north.

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

One of mine had to have minor surgery this summer. The vets figured he got a duck wing bone that poked him in the cheek. He looked like he had a golf ball in his cheek.
    Mike Peters

Had one once with an abscess in the ba k of her mouth-turned out she had been stabbed by a stick and some was still in there... Good luck
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I have one with a bacterial infection in the area of the dog's saliva gland on one side of her neck. Two rounds of antibiotics had little effect. It did drop in size but has not gone away. Other wise the dog is healthy and shows no sign that it affects her performance. Vet is going to sedate her Jan. 6 and do some exploratory work and/or x-ray to see if there is a foreign object like a piece of a stick buried in the area.

Had one that happened quickly and it required 2 rounds of antibiotics. The assumption was it was a poke by a duck wing.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Had one that happened quickly and it required 2 rounds of antibiotics. The assumption was it was a poke by a duck wing.
    I hope this all is the result of a poke wound inside the mouth. Only 12 hours since the amoxicillin and prednisone and his swelling has gone down by about one half. Thank you everyone for input. With cold weather hitting, we will be out of the water for weeks/month and maybe the ear tips will heal.
    Maximum Intensity's Overwatch (AFC Ten Bear's Road Trip X Field of Dreams Destination Anywhere QAA)
    goehl.john@gmail.com
    If you are standing exactly on the South Pole and fart, it can only go up or north.

Quote Originally Posted by johngoehl View Post
    I just took my retriever Sniper to the vet for a swollen cheek. The vet has him on antibiotic and prednisone. Hopefully, this will take care of the problem. Interestingly, the dog also has small sores on his ear tips that we are treating, too. He does shake his head a bit. His dog food is Dr. Tim's grain free, chicken based. The cheek infection is not yet in need of a surgical draining. Any input would be gladly accepted.
    Try getting off of chicken based food
    There is something about the outside of a dog which makes the inside of man feel good

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Marshall View Post
    Try getting off of chicken based food
    Thanks, Terry. I think I will switch to a salmon based brand. It could make a difference.
    goehl.john@gmail.com