The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Box Water Tank Vent Question

Default Dog Box Water Tank Vent Question

Those of you that have gravity water tanks with your dog boxes....does your tank have a vent? I am finding I have to remove the fill cap to get the water to flow from the tank. It's a real PITA. Seems like it should have a vent sytem, but mine doesn't. Just curious what others have to do to get water out of their tanks, short of installing a pump.

My Ainley box is vented on the back.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig MH "Jimmy"

You have a MT box?
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

My MT has a vent.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by classact2731 View Post
    My MT has a vent.
    Yours a two or three hole?
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Tom,
    Tank should have a vent, both for flow and overflow. Pretty easy to afterfit.

My MTCK 3 hole has 2 small holes drilled in the cap. Each hole had a SS screw in it. I removed one and it works fine except that when full it spits water out when turning right! I have options for gravity flow and pressure. Before removing a screw the gravity flow wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Tom,
    Tank should have a vent, both for flow and overflow. Pretty easy to afterfit.
    Yes it should and seems to me that it should have come that way. But thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by CHNJ29 View Post
    My MTCK 3 hole has 2 small holes drilled in the cap. Each hole had a SS screw in it. I removed one and it works fine except that when full it spits water out when turning right! I have options for gravity flow and pressure. Before removing a screw the gravity flow wasn't very good.
    I guess that would be one way to defeat the issue. No worries of contaminating your water tank? If you remember to drain after each use and flush again before hand I suppose it wouldn't be a concern.

Personally I think a vent much like a boat's built in fuel tank has would have been a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    I guess that would be one way to defeat the issue. No worries of contaminating your water tank? If you remember to drain after each use and flush again before hand I suppose it wouldn't be a concern.

Personally I think a vent much like a boat's built in fuel tank has would have been a better solution.
    If the box builder won't fit a vent for you that tells me something about them. Gravity drain won't work properly w/o it. Find a convenient spot at a high point on a side, drill a 1/2" hole, fit a threaded bushing and run a short piece of plastic tubing down to where it can drain w/o problems. That way if you overfill, no problem. Check the drain occasionally to make sure it does not get clogged. No need to worry about contamination, but if you're worried about something nasty crawling up the drain tube fit some screen over the end.