The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever had a golden with ichthyosis?

Default Anyone ever had a golden with ichthyosis?

How bad was it?
    How did you treat it?
    Did the dog grow out of it?

I've heard it's not that bad in goldens and some dogs grow out of it. Just checking if anyone on here has experience with it.

Thanks

Ichthyosis is genetic so it's not going to go away. The symptoms may go away for periods of time and return when the dog is stressed. Typically you see flakes on a new puppy. As the pup matures the flakes diminish, then return when the dog is stressed, or in the later years of life when the immune system starts to weaken.

This isn't anything new. This is a issue that has been with the breed from the beginning. Up until recently most people just dismissed it as puppy dander.

I never owned one myself but when I owned a boarding kennel I boarded a dog with it, he was affected bad, itchy scaly skin, lots of meds itching and secondary infections all the time just a sad sad soul.
    Danielle Wilson

BLF, Bella Luna-tic, QAA, NA. NAJ, RN, MH
    BLM, SHR Steelshot's Just Happy To Be, WC, JH
    BLM, HRCH Danielle's Classic Triple D, MH, WCX, WC
    GM HR Tidewater's Fire Quacker, WC, RN, SH
    BLF Luna-Tic's Littlest Gem, QAA, SH

www.thunderequipment.com

I never tested him because I hadn't heard of it at the time, but I'll bet my old Yoda was affected. It wasn't a big deal, just seemed like dandruff, he didn't itch much. Some dogs have it bad, but most grow out of it and it's no big deal. A pretty high percentage of Goldens are carriers or affected.

I've seen dogs that are affected badly and others that didn't show to much dander as adults. All affected dogs are homozygous recessive for the trait. Heterozygotes (carriers) are not affected. It's always been around, but the reality for breeders is that it seems like more and more potential owners are looking to avoid the condition and asking for parents to be tested.

swampcollie - I know it's not a new thing. I was just looking at a litter where both parents were carriers and wondering what caring for an affected dog entails. Most of what I have read and been told is it's not a big deal.

http://www.australiangoldenretriever...ever%20pdf.pdf
    This document shows pups from two carrier parents only have a 25% chance of being affected. The breeder told me it was too early for her to tell if any pups were affected because they needed a blood test and they're only a week old. I thought you could tell immediately by parting the hair and looking at the skin?

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    swampcollie - I know it's not a new thing. I was just looking at a litter where both parents were carriers and wondering what caring for an affected dog entails. Most of what I have read and been told is it's not a big deal.
    For most, it isn't a big deal. It's just excess dander.
    If the dog has other immune related issues however the effects of Icthyosis can be magnified dramatically.

http://www.australiangoldenretriever...ever%20pdf.pdf
    This document shows pups from two carrier parents only have a 25% chance of being affected. The breeder told me it was too early for her to tell if any pups were affected because they needed a blood test and they're only a week old. I thought you could tell immediately by parting the hair and looking at the skin?
    I try not to post much and I try even harder not to be preachy. Training advice is one thing, but I think we all have a right to a voice on health issues. I don't understand at all breeding two carriers and rolling the dice that a puppy(ies) will be affected. Downplaying it as not a big deal and something they'll grow out of is irresponsible when there are no guarantees on that. Even one puppy who is miserable is one too many.

I completely understand breeding clear to carrier and clear to clear, but breeding affected or carrier to carrier is just wrong. The very reason we have testing is so that we can make educated choices when breeding and producing healthy pups.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    I try not to post much and I try even harder not to be preachy. Training advice is one thing, but I think we all have a right to a voice on health issues. I don't understand at all breeding two carriers and rolling the dice that a puppy(ies) will be affected. Downplaying it as not a big deal and something they'll grow out of is irresponsible when there are no guarantees on that. Even one puppy who is miserable is one too many.

I completely understand breeding clear to carrier and clear to clear, but breeding affected or carrier to carrier is just wrong. The very reason we have testing is so that we can make educated choices when breeding and producing healthy pups.

M
    I am not trying to downplay it. I am trying to figure out if what I have been told is true or not.

I am not trying to downplay it. I am trying to figure out if what I have been told is true or not.
    I'm not saying you are down playing it at all. It's just w/ choices out there to be able to breed so that no puppies are affected why wouldn't everyone do so?

I have a pup right now who is just wonderful. He was initially sold to a very successful obedience trialer and she had high hopes he would be her next OTCH. Both of her bitches are carriers for ichthy. When this male tested positive as a carrier she chose to return him to the breeder rather than breed him to her bitches as initially planned. I have high hopes for him as a FT dog. If he is ever bred it will only be to clear bitches.

Again, don't mean to sound preachy, but I think we owe it to our dogs to rely on health clearances to give them an opportunity to live long healthy lives.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)