The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about training a 13 month old Chessi at a dog park?

Default What do you think about training a 13 month old Chessi at a dog park?

I have a 13 month old male Chessi and have been training him in the back yard. I took him to the dog park for the first time a couple weeks ago so I could give him some longer retrieves.
    When I sent him on his first retrieve other dogs ran at him and wanted him to play! All the new smells and dogs were very distracting so after two retrieves I stopped and let him play a little then after things calmed down I did two more retrieves and left.
    I did not have an e-coller on him.
    I have been back 4 more times with the e-collar and he is doing well on some 120 yard retrieves but not running as fast as he could on the longer retrieves but getting better each time. I only give him 2 to 5 retrieves and leave.
    Is it normal when you start longer retrieves that the dog runs a little slower until they get used to it? It could be his conditioning or the combo of conditioning and distractions. Sometimes I have trouble getting him to look at the bumper when I line him up, he wants to look at the other dogs instead. Like I said he is getting better each time though.
    He has just started doing blind retrieves. I'm following the Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training
    What do you think I should do when he looks at the other dogs when I'm lining him up for a longer retrieve?
    What do you think about training at a dog park?
    I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
    Thanks

I think it is Terrible idea! Your dog shouldn't have not worry about being confronted by a pack of strange dogs or another dog stealing his retrieves, especially since he's still a pup.

If you have to use the dog park, go there when there are no other dogs about.
    Renee P

Bad idea. Your dog needs to pay attention to you. Not other dogs.

Thanks,
    That makes sense, what do you think about letting him play with dogs at the park?

I think this is one of those very rare topics that will have 100% agreement. Very-very bad idea. Your dog needs to focus, you need to focus, too many distractions and potential for dog fights. There must be a better place to train.

Get up really early and beat the other dogs or find somewhere else to train. Not fair to him and dog parks are trouble. What are you going to do if he gets attacked? Your just asking for trouble trying to teach him with other dogs running loose. It only takes one bad episode to happen to ruin him.

Joyce

No No to both ideas. You never know if the other person is a responsible dog owner & their dogs have all their shots. Injuries can occur this way. Have you no other area to practice in? JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Hashtag Mickey

"Donít cry because itís over. Smile because it happened."
    Dr. Seuss

+1 You never know when somebody with a pitbull shows up and kills your dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    No No to both ideas. You never know if the other person is a responsible dog owner & their dogs have all their shots. Injuries can occur this way. Have you no other area to practice in? JMO

Quote Originally Posted by counciloak View Post
    +1 You never know when somebody with a pitbull shows up and kills your dog!
    The jest of what is implied is fair, but not to pitbulls in general. Most of em are nice dogs.

Not to mention dog parks are a usually disease infested. Most vets in our area recommend never going to them.