The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis treatments?

Default Arthritis treatments?

Has any one had any success with treating arthritis in their dogs? Mine is 7 years old and is fine during training but when we get home and he lays down he is damn near lame when he gets up. Only shows up when we do a fair amont of land work not water work. Going to take him in to the vet for some xrays. But I have heard their isn't a lot that can really help.Thanks for any advice.

We had some dogs that boarded at the kennel I worked at that were on Rimydal and they had a pretty good case of arthritis and it helped them a lot!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

There are alot of NSAID's on the market today that will help him out as well as a joint supplement will help him out also. I have my 9 year old who had a tplo done on his knee at 4yrs on PHYCOX. It is a joint supplement with a antiinflammatory reagent in it. He is only on that and no NSAID's. You won't see much of an improvement with a joint supplement until he has been on it for 4-6 weeks. Well worth the wait.
    JoAnn Stancer
    Sandspring Chesapeakes
    MySpace Blog:
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ndID=442677052

To live for today

We switched to Dasuquin. It's expensive, but it makes a dramatic difference.
    Jill,Tango,Finn,and Tally
    Topbrass Everlore Talk Of The Town CGC
    Sand Dancer's Infinite Sky CGC
    Goldiva's Tangled Up In Blue CD,CGC

Ripley's Starry, Starry Night

I use previcox. Seems to do the job. And supplement with FlexIII
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

I use Osteobiflex on one that has arthritis from a TPLO gone bad. Without it she cannot go up and down the stairs and really favors the leg. With it, she can run up and down the stairs and gets around very well. I used to use Synovi G3. I think the results are as good or better with Osteobiflex (store brand), and I can get it from Walmart or Target.

You have a lot of options that work very well. Start with one like Synovi G3 or Phycox and that will probably care care of it for awhile. You can later on see if you need to supplement with an NSAID
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

IMO all performance dogs should be on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and a fish oil supplement. Both of these have great anti-inflammatory properties and it is the inflammation in the joints that causes the problem. Also NSAIDs help tremendously with the pain and inflammation. Radiographs of the suspected joints will help determine just how bad the arthritis is. You could also consider a course of acupuncture/chiropractic treatments. The golden I just lost at age 16+ yrs severely damaged her right shoulder when she was 8 yrs old. Medications were not helping her; every time she ran around she ended up terribly lame. After 3 months of chiropractic/acupuncture treatments, she was sound as she could be and never had another problem with that shoulder.

My current dogs ages 6, 5 and 1 yr are on Dasuquin and salmon oil. My old girl was on metacam for the last 3 years of her life. Kept her comfortable and she tolerated it very well. Be certain blood work is done to check liver and kidney function BEFORE starting any NSAIDS on your dog.

Good luck
    Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I would personally look into starting him on Adequan injections as well.

Definitely glucosamine/MSM/chondoitin supplement, a NSAID that he seems to be able to tolerate well as needed (I would probably give a dose prior to expected training to help get it on board sooner rather than later...that is what we do with our girl who has ED/HD when we take her to the beach or somewhere else she's "inspired"), possibly consider chiropractics or acupuncture depending on what the radiographs show you.
    7 is still so young, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post

Definitely glucosamine/MSM/chondoitin supplement, (
    My retriever is 8 and has started having problems, just as aabraham described. I started mine on the above supplement and it has helped. I will discuss with vet on my next visit. I imagine she will need pain med's at some point, but hopefully further down the road.