The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Somali pirates hijack US flagged ship with US citizens aboard

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Doubt that, what else was he to do? Anyone could have/would have made the same call

My understanding is Obama did this all by himself and is the TRUE hero!!

In fact, the movie is being set up as we speak, Will Smith of course playing the heroic President Obama in this nail biting thriller!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I wish they could have been taken into custody and keel hauled!
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Were the pirates really being towed by a Navy vessel? I read the shot taken by the SEALS was less than 100 feet...boat to boat!
    One of the articles indicated that the lifeboat was out of fuel, and it was drifting toward the Somali coast, so the pirates accepted a tow from the Bainbridge. Smart guys, these pirates? The article said that at first it was a 200-foot line, but due to either heavy seas or purposely during the night, the line was reduced to 100 feet.

They were also low on food, so the one pirate surrendered when they were getting some food from the Bainbridge. He had an injured hand and was looking to get medical aid for that. That's how he ended up in custody & not dead.

Other articles did point out how this "Coast Guard" got started ... hunger, poverty and lack of any kind of government to speak of. Large fishing interests of some countries did exacerbate the situation as the local fisherman with old-fashioned equipment were losing out to the more sophisticated fishing boats.

While this is not justification for the turn to crime, it helps one understand how the situation developed. It's unlikely that the piracy will let up until there is a more constructive way for these guys to earn a living. There's no question that since this line of work has proven pretty rewarding, it's not going to be easy to convince them they need to find other ways of supporting their families. It might be harder for the crime gangs to recruit, though, if the mortality rate continues to go up for their crews.

The article also indicated that the pirates themselves get about 30% of the ransoms. 20% goes to the crime gangs that bankroll them. 30% (!!!) goes to bribing officials to let them operate. The remaining 20% goes to purchasing their supplies and arms.

Since there is no substantive government to deal with from a diplomatic standpoint, it really does boil down to dealing with a bunch of thugs who are only loosely associated.

Supposedly they treat their hostages fairly well ... if they didn't do so they would risk military retailiation from the countries whose hostages are harmed. That would defeat their profit motive.

Isn't it kind of interesting that the French are one of only 3 countries who played hardball with the pirates?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The captured pirate actually surrendered before the other three were shot. He was wounded and hungry, and thought his best deal was to surrender for food and care of injuries.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Britton View Post
    The captured pirate actually surrendered before the other three were shot. He was wounded and hungry, and thought his best deal was to surrender for food and care of injuries.
    Seems like he was the smartest of the four. Perhaps he some information to help "us" (meaning those collectively subject to the piracy) figure out a more permanent solution to the piracy problem?

An up side to this could be that just maybe those countries who have ships and hostages held by the pirates (or those who fear they may be the next victims) would actually work together constructively toward a common goal.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

My tinfoil hat (more like Serranwrap) theory:

The SEALs didn't shoot those guys from the fantail of that destroyer. In the seas described it would be hard to shoot yourself in the head, much less to shoot from one bobbing boat to a different bobbing boat. Also, at least one of the shots was reportedly made through the lifeboat's portal. That clear portal was designed to withstand incredible ocean forces and was probably some super-thick plexiglass or lexan. I'm not doubting that a .223, .308 or .50 would penetrate it, but that given the thickness of it and the chances of deflection, etc. that was a dang tricky shot to take.

I'm thinking that the SEALs swam underwater to the lifeboat and waited for the right time. I'm sure they had already placed listening devices in/on the boat...slipped in w/ food/water packages or something attached/drilled through the hull. They'd know when the Somalis were sleeping, arguing, not alert, ect. They bided their time and then slipped over the side and took out the Somalis in a flash.

How often have you heard stories about how the SEALs accomplish missions? Rarely. Why would we want to tell future hostage takers how we took out their homies? We wouldn't, unless we weren't telling the truth. I think we're just reinforcing what most people probably presumed a rescue operation would look like, and at the same time making a repeat rescue using the same techniques more possible. Sorry for the kookery, but that's what I think and I'm stickin' to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Britton View Post
    Sounds like a PERFECT candidate to come to the US, be an Obama poster child.
    He's ALREADY getting free food & medical care from our government w/o paying any taxes, next step is food stamps & Medicaid!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    My tinfoil hat (more like Serranwrap) theory:

The SEALs didn't shoot those guys from the fantail of that destroyer. In the seas described it would be hard to shoot yourself in the head, much less to shoot from one bobbing boat to a different bobbing boat. Also, at least one of the shots was reportedly made through the lifeboat's portal. That clear portal was designed to withstand incredible ocean forces and was probably some super-thick plexiglass or lexan. I'm not doubting that a .223, .308 or .50 would penetrate it, but that given the thickness of it and the chances of deflection, etc. that was a dang tricky shot to take.

I'm thinking that the SEALs swam underwater to the lifeboat and waited for the right time. I'm sure they had already placed listening devices in/on the boat...slipped in w/ food/water packages or something attached/drilled through the hull. They'd know when the Somalis were sleeping, arguing, not alert, ect. They bided their time and then slipped over the side and took out the Somalis in a flash.

How often have you heard stories about how the SEALs accomplish missions? Rarely. Why would we want to tell future hostage takers how we took out their homies? We wouldn't, unless we weren't telling the truth. I think we're just reinforcing what most people probably presumed a rescue operation would look like, and at the same time making a repeat rescue using the same techniques more possible. Sorry for the kookery, but that's what I think and I'm stickin' to it.

Maybe so, but after watching Americas Best Sniper (os some title similar to that) on discovery I am not so sure they didn't make the shots as it has been reported. These guys on the show were shooting people from hundreds of yards away from choppers, boats, swinging bridges, through windows and even through cement block walls.....
    I am going to have to guess if they can take your head off at 500 yards through a block wall they could probaly hit three guys in a boat 150 feet away and the windows on the boat would not seem to be as much of a problem as a block wall. The report I saw also said two of them "popped" their heads out of a hatch and were shot at that point and only one was shot through a window.
    We will never know what actually happened and we really don;t need to know the details, all we know is three dirtbags are no longer stealing the air we breath
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    While this is not justification for the turn to crime, it helps one understand how the situation developed. It's unlikely that the piracy will let up until there is a more constructive way for these guys to earn a living. ...It might be harder for the crime gangs to recruit, though, if the mortality rate continues to go up for their crews.
    Ya think? Drop some flyers over the ports saying that any Somali vessel approaching commercial vessels will be destroyed. Put a couple of Stinger missiles & some Marines on a few ships and then do it a few times. Be kinds like the bumper stickers/signs "Guarded by shotgun & pit bull 3 nights a week. You guess which 3!!"

The article also indicated that the pirates themselves get about 30% of the ransoms. 20% goes to the crime gangs that bankroll them. 30% (!!!) goes to bribing officials to let them operate. The remaining 20% goes to purchasing their supplies and arms.
    What, do you mean they're NOT paying taxes? And ONLY 30% in bribes? No wonder Obama authorized the op. Those Somali's are just lucky that he didn't send Tim Geitner, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Andrew Cuomo, & Richard Blumenthal over there. Now THAT would be a hit squad!

it really does boil down to dealing with a bunch of thugs who are only loosely associated.
    Now are you still talking about the marine terrorists or about Congress ?
    Supposedly they treat their hostages fairly well ... if they didn't do so they would risk military retailiation from the countries whose hostages are harmed. That would defeat their profit motive.
    Let's see the last number I heard, at least 23 people have been murdered by these terrorists. I don't consider that "fairly well"!

Isnt it kind of interesting that the French are one of only 3 countries who played hardball with the pirates?
    Not really. Don't mess w/ the French when it comes down to food, alcohol & sex. The Somali's are messing with their supply of bouillabaisse at the very least! Sacre bleu!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513183,00.html

What will the eunuch in chief do about this? NOTHING
    How about send in the Seals and put one between each of thier eyes.