The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to learn about FTs

Default Want to learn about FTs

I've run hunt tests with my last chessie, but never got exposed to field trials. I'm interested in learning about them, but being a newbie I don't know the best process to become familiar with them. I've read numerous threads about them and have read the rules & regulations, but know reality and how the trials are conducted probably are different than my interpretations.

There appears to be a FT starting tomorrow (april 10) with the Middle TN ARC at the percy priest wma, which is basically in my back yard. I'd like to go out and witness some of the FT. To those who run FTs, do you recommend a particular day (since it runs for 3 days) to be better for learning and understanding how FTs work?

Thanks in advance for any advice! If anyone is attending the FT this weekend at Percy Priest it would be great to meet you!

Go and watch all 3 day if you can . Make sure you try and see a little of each stake , so you know what is going on.
    ________
    Juggalo
    Last edited by Tom H.; 02-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Go to the open armed with a pad of paper,colored pens, and draw diagrams of the tests,make notes of what you have seen and if by some chance have a video camera shoot plenty of film, if you ask someone to borrow their program or have a chance to copy the running order from EE keep a close eye on the FC AFC's and some of the big name trainers....if you really want to make friends, introduce yourself to a marshal and volunteer to help out if you have the time
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it out all three days, but I may be able to make it out for 2 of them.

Are different stakes ran certain days, or do they run all stakes each day?

Thanks

Generally the Open starts on friday, the Amateur on saturday....if you could only attend one day Saturday would be the day to see the most action from all 4 stakes ( depending on the size of the derby and qualifying)....have fun
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by bonbonjovi View Post
    Go to the open armed with a pad of paper,colored pens, and draw diagrams of the tests,make notes of what you have seen and if by some chance have a video camera shoot plenty of film, if you ask someone to borrow their program or have a chance to copy the running order from EE keep a close eye on the FC AFC's and some of the big name trainers....if you really want to make friends, introduce yourself to a marshal and volunteer to help out if you have the time
    Great points, thanks!

Go Saturday, and hang at the O/H qual, and at the Am. Find Erik Gawthorpe, David and Marty Kress, Tommy Fairchild, Jimmie Darnell, Henry Ragle. Especially Erik and Dave, Erik is chairman, Dave is president.

Do you shoot? We always need flyer guns. If you want to, bring gun along.

Middle Tn is an active club. We do FTs and also HTs, and quite a few train at Percy Priest.
    Tell them you are new and interested. Club dues are just $25.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    Go Saturday, and hang at the O/H qual, and at the Am. Find Erik Gawthorpe, David and Marty Kress, Tommy Fairchild, Jimmie Darnell, Henry Ragle. Especially Erik and Dave, Erik is chairman, Dave is president.

Do you shoot? We always need flyer guns. If you want to, bring gun along.

Middle Tn is an active club. We do FTs and also HTs, and quite a few train at Percy Priest.
    Tell them you are new and interested. Club dues are just $25.
    Thanks, I'll make sure to go Saturday (tomorrow). I'll also track down a couple of those folks.

I hope everyone involved with this FT was able to take cover and is OK, as we have several torandos touching down south and east of the event.

Waterdogrem,

Go to www.teamchesapeake.com

I believe there are other FT CBR folks in your area who frequent the sight

Good luck and welcome!!

waterdogrem so howd the FT go what did you think.