The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The only think slower than the US Postal Service

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I must have missed something. I do not watch much TV, but have seen and read nothing suggesting to me that the administration is trying to paint itself as the hero in this drama. They appear to have done no saber rattling in advance of acting -- a sharp contrast with the past -- and to have acted only when they could do so decisively without endangering the hostages. What exactly would you have wanted them to do differently? It seems to me the situation was handled competently with the focus on those who deserve it: the crew of the Alabama and the SEALs.
    Read Mondays NY Times headlines.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Read Mondays NY Times headlines.
    The headline I see is "Navy Rescues Captain, Killing 3 Pirate Captors. Concerns That His Life Was in Danger Prompted American Snipers to Fire". Obama's name or role appears no where in the headline.

You're right, PBO himself isn't doing his own promotion; he’s got Rahm for that. The WH was completely silent before the SEALs took their shots. Call me crazy, but it was so they could distance themselves from the event should the good Capt Phillips have died. Only after did Rahm start spewing how in control and decisive our precious PBO was...

By the way, he was obliged through law to allow the SEALs to use deadly force from the beginning.

Furthermore Jeff, what they should have done is killed the pirates on Day One. Also, we should sink every Somali ship we see without question. There is no other reason those people are there other than piracy. That makes them criminals and terrorists, these SOB's can't claim they were just "digging a hole in the side of the road" like some of the Iraqi Skinnies did. These Somalis cannot claim innocence while being on a ship, armed and participating in piracy...

What more could they have done!? go back and reread my initial post. I had a few ideas, and it only took me, what like 5 seconds to come up with that?

Listen, for what it's worth, I have been in combat and I know that the SEALs were waiting on some beaurocratic/politics compost heap of "Rules of Engagement." Meaning, they had to wait until they could see that the pirates meant to use deadly force, and therefore the SEALs could use and "equivalent and fair" use of force against them. My issue with this is Capt Phillips was in harm's way the entire time. They took him with no other intention that either getting their money, or killing him so next time they took a hostage, the ransom payers knew they meant business...

So Richard Phillips sat on a boat with 4-5 captors all with guns for 5-6 days waiting to see if his country would rescue him. Waiting to see if he will die in the next minute. Waiting to see if someone would do more than talk reasonably with unreasonable people...

Jeff, I hope you don't think I'm being rude to you man. I am definitely distressed by this situation because I've been there, I've seen it, and I've been held back from doing what I knew to be right because we have to worry more about a newspaper report (or paperwork) than the lives of men and women who have earned their Citizenship.

If you can't see this, then I can't say anything that will ever change your mind.
    Richard
    Legacy 6

Legacy's Lady Jade "Jade" (d. 23JUNE08)
    Legacy's Tallgrass of Natoma "Natti"

I am waiting for BHO to apologize to the pirates and the rest of the world again - that we acted with arrogance - when we killed their comrade.

Haven't lost all faith in the White House - but not much left ----oops -

There is SO much "left" in the white house----- I don't think they have a right.
    Attributed to Ben Franklin-
    "Don't Argue with Stupid People..... They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"Arguing with Idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to sh$t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    The headline I see is "Navy Rescues Captain, Killing 3 Pirate Captors. Concerns That His Life Was in Danger Prompted American Snipers to Fire". Obama's name or role appears no where in the headline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/wo...2009%22&st=cse

I especially like this part;

"In permitting members of the Navy Seals to shoot the pirates holding the captain, Richard Phillips, Mr. Obama navigated a crisis that played out in full view of the world."
    And then;

Obama Signals More Active Response to Piracy

"WASHINGTON — President Obama vowed Monday to “halt the rise of piracy” off the coast of Africa following the dramatic rescue of an American merchant captain, foreshadowing a longer and potentially more treacherous struggle ahead as he weighs a series of problematic options."

Maybe I am making this up??

Maybe it's being overplayed!!

Especially from those that loathe the military and all things USA!!

(BTW---I said "headlines," that is plural, all of them, not just the one you like!!)

I don't really want to argue with you, you seem to be a well read, learned man.
    But my country that I know, LOVE, served and fought for is being mongrelized.
    I guess I have to deal with it, but I do NOT have to like it!!

Obama represents everything I dissaprove of in America today.
    Last edited by road kill; 04-14-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

For all you John Wayne types, you might also take note that within the last few days the French went storming in when the pirates had a compliment of a French yacht hostage. The French owner ended up getting killed. In hostage situations our police almost never go storming directly in.

I don't think the rescue of the good captain of the Alabama is the end of it. Stay tuned.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    For all you John Wayne types, you might also take note that within the last few days the French went storming in when the pirates had a compliment of a French yacht hostage. The French owner ended up getting killed. In hostage situations our police almost never go storming directly in.

I don't think the rescue of the good captain of the Alabama is the end of it. Stay tuned.
    Yup, this is in another thread too. I said it once, I'll say it again... it's a truly sad day in America when the French act more directly, with swifter action than we do... A sad day for the US for sure...

“somewhat troubled by the absence of a consistent policy governing our willingness to permit the President to participate in these private, commercial tributes . . . .” ~John Wayne

“I stick to simple themes. Love. Hate. No nuances. I stay away from psychoanalyst's couch scenes. Couches are good for one thing.” ~John Wayne

“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” ~John Wayne

“If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.” ~ John Wayne

“A horse is a horse,it ain´t make a difference what color it is.” ~John Wayne

"I never shot nobody I didn't have to." ~John Wayne

"Somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't... The hell I won't." ~John Wayne

Yup, I'm a John Wayne Type Regards,
    Richard
    Legacy 6

Legacy's Lady Jade "Jade" (d. 23JUNE08)
    Legacy's Tallgrass of Natoma "Natti"

Well, ol' John Wayne had great lines for the movies but the movies ain't real life. Skill and finesse is not defined by throwing a stick of dynamite in every outhouse.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

French hostage, dead. American hostage, alive. I like the way we did it better; I would imagine the captain and his family do as well.

Unless they agree with some of you that John-Wayne-ing it and dying for the privilege would have been better... (which would have immediately been compared to the failed attempt to secure the Iranian hostages under Carter's administration... so I fail to see the glory in that...)

So it turned out alright; the President laid low, the SEALS did their thing, most of the bad guys are dead and the good guys are alive, and people are expressing relief and gratitude. And you're upset? How patriotic is THAT?

And one more thing--I'm the first to say that there are far more upsetting things going on with the Obama administration--and the government as a whole--than this incident points to. What's the deal with all the drama???

Oh wait... pirates... yeah...

So long as there are pirates in the world, everyone will be able to keep the debate emotional and meaningless, just where we like it.

Carry on.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

luvalab
    French hostage, dead. American hostage, alive. I like the way we did it better; I would imagine the captain and his family do as well.
    I believe there were several hostages on the French ship, not just one. That made the Capt. Phillips' situation a bit easier. Had there been more hostages, U.S. tactics might have been different.

No doubt about it, Capt. Phillips made a smart and brave deicision when he convinced the pirates to take just one hostage.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.