The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday Starts for Am

Default Friday Starts for Am

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on Friday starts for the Amateur. Like most things there are pros and cons. Do we actually accomplish a more fair or enjoyable Am by letting the judges have 3 days?

Well they're obviously good luck for you!
    But, I think Friday am starts may be a bit hard on the double staked dogs. With a Friday Am start, the chances your dog might run 5 or 6 series in one day is greater then the traditional Open Friday and Amateur Saturday starts. Could lead to more sandbagging with handlers trying to rest dogs.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I think friday AM starts are a disadvantage to AM's running the open. They are having to run back and forth between stakes, while the pro can sit and study the first series. Early AM's miss test dog and any judges comments. That being said if thats what the club needs to get finished then by all means start on Friday.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Friday starts for Amateurs are a disservice to the sport. Amateurs who have full time forty hour a week jobs have limited time off. They are not going to be able to take all those Fridays off to run their dog. I know I can’t. It makes the game favor those amateurs who either own their own business and can take off when ever they want or those that are retired. But the trial game could use more participants – not less. We need to encourage hunt test folks who have successfully gotten their feet wet in the field trial game by running a qualifying to jump up to run the amateurs. But many hunt test participates are younger, and work full time jobs. They are more likely to enter a weekend Am then a Friday start am.
    One rational I have heard for starting the Amateur on Fridays is to allow the judges 3 days to judge the field. But when the entrees closed in the trial in question, there were less then 50 dogs and it finished in two days……
    I would also agree with a previous comment. It is really hard on the dogs that are double staked and the more spaced out the series, the better.
    Marion Carey
    Yelmlabs.com
    AFC Fargo's Echo "Echo"
    AFC The Blueprint "Webster"
    AFC Marshwind's Black Magik "Kate"

"Boooooooo"
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Requires the club to have more help on a weekday too.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jeff evans View Post
    "Boooooooo"
    I agree!!!

Coming from an old school background...we definitely benefitted from a Sat morning Amateur start..Clint was a graduate teaching assistant at A&M and there were times that he couldnt get away on Fridays, so my oldeest brother Ely would run Judge in the first and occasional 2nd series and the Clint would show up Sat morning and take over

Now back to present day real time scenario, the field trial weekend for an Amateur begins as early as Thurs depending on how far away the venue is from their job or abode...Is it an inconvenience for some? Absolutely..but the argument that a dog has to run multiple series in one day if double staked holds no water because any AA dog worth their salt better be capable and in shape enough to run 4 set ups in a single day..

If a club decides its in their best interest to have a Friday start for the Am, then so be it..my guess is that the majority of the dogs are on the grounds already..the other plus is that it helps wrapping up the trial on Sun morning, where help is scarce, nerves are frayed and people are ready to hit the road and move the traveling road show to the next venue
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The only reason for a Friday start for the Amateur is an unusually large entry and having judged an 87 dog Amateur in two days it can be done. There are numerous reasons not to start the Amateur on Friday which have been detailed in previous posts. For the club Friday starts require more help and that the Amateur judges be in town one extra day thereby increasing costs.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The only reason for a Friday start for the Amateur is an unusually large entry and having judged an 87 dog Amateur in two days it can be done. There are numerous reasons not to start the Amateur on Friday which have been detailed in previous posts. For the club Friday starts require more help and that the Amateur judges be in town one extra day thereby increasing costs.
    Another option is to have the trial start Saturday and end Monday. All Stakes start on Saturday. If the trial gets done in two days, or Amateur goes out early, they don't have to miss a day of work. I breaks from tradition but might better serve the AM's who also run the Open.