The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Republic Of Texas

  1. #41
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    I don't want to discuss filthy sex acts any further, so I'm gonna be the bigger man and bow out of this conversation.
    OMG, are you serious? Or, are you courting the hounds of double-entendre?

    The smilie leads me to suspect the later.

    Very, very big of you
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  2. #42
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Hew, your response illustrates the deep difference in perspective between us. The fact remains that many states that claim to be dominated by "fiscal conservatives" get more money from the federal government than they pay in. It is a wash for Texas over the long term.
    So which is it? Texas is a parasite (your first contention), or it's a wash for Texas? FWIW, this site says that Texas has been a net "donor" to the nation (i.e. paying more in taxes than receiving back from the Fed): http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/22685.html The only data they show is from '81 through 2005, but in those 24 years Texas never received more than they paid in taxes.

    Regardless, I don't think you really want to get into comparisons of each states' relative net worth to the Union. Texas produces oil, energy, refining, beef, and agriculture for much of America. Minnesotaaah provides us with luetefisk and "A Prarie Home Companion."

  3. #43
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    So which is it? Texas is a parasite (your first contention), or it's a wash for Texas? FWIW, this site says that Texas has been a net "donor" to the nation (i.e. paying more in taxes than receiving back from the Fed): http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/22685.html The only data they show is from '81 through 2005, but in those 24 years Texas never received more than they paid in taxes.

    Regardless, I don't think you really want to get into comparisons of each states' relative net worth to the Union. Texas produces oil, energy, refining, beef, and agriculture for much of America. Minnesotaaah provides us with luetefisk and "A Prarie Home Companion."
    Did you overlook 2003-05 for Texas?

    In the rankings for 2005 Minnesota was 48th, Texas was 42nd. Pretty close for a beef/lutefisk comparision.

    Florida was 23rd, a nice middle ranking to be sure, since they provide us with OJ, flamingos and sunburn.

    New Mexico was 4th, a big differential to be sure, but then we have Las Alamos and Sandia National Laboratories, making all those bombs to protect us all from the the Red Menace
    Last edited by JDogger; 04-20-2009 at 08:34 AM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Yes, Hew, the old data suggests that Texas gets about the same it pays in. That's why I made the statement in my last post. Not sure about more recent data but heard reports that they get a bit more back now. Given this, I have changed my original post so it is more accurate as follows:

    Interesting. At least on this issue the conservatives here are consistent. In the past, when a person said that they would leave the USA because they were fearful of the policies of a President's administration some of the conservatives here have typed things like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy 6 View Post
    To any Hollywierd Lib who wants to leave I say:

    Need help packing??
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
    Didn't Alec Baldwin & various other Hollywood types say the same thing about Bush in 2000 & 2004??? Guess he figured America was pretty good to him after all.

    Wouldn't it be nice if some of these movie stars actually followed up on some of these promises??
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    To any Hollywierd liberal who wants to leave I say:
    A.M.F.
    That last one is particulary interesting.

    Too bad though, just like these elite hollywood liberals, Texas probably won't leave the USA either. We could really use a couple big military bases up here and any large state pulling out would sure reduce the long term social security and medicare/medicaid burden for the rest of the country (also, as Hew points out, do not forget about all that money being spent on border patrol, and NASA). I hope Governor Perry has more guts than the liberal hollywood elite and not only talks the talk, but walks the walk.

    Fortunately or unfortunately, the vast majority of Texans disagree with their governor on this. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...75_opt_to_stay.

    Is that better for you? Hopefully without the tax reference it is more on point so that you will be less distracted. Oh, and by the way, I am all for more responsible government spending and I agree with the folks that think secession is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Henry V; 04-20-2009 at 12:54 AM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,321

    Default

    So...if Texas secedes... does that mean they won't come here to ski anymore....? Maybe the slopes of Flooridaah.
    Last edited by JDogger; 04-19-2009 at 11:50 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  6. #46
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Is that better for you? Hopefully without the tax reference it is more on point so that you will be less distracted.
    Umm, yeah...not so much. The crux of your original post was that Texas has a parasitic relationship with the United States, and that it was hypocritical of Texas (and conservatives) to remind the nation of their sovereignty as they suck from the Federal teat. That's not a fresh argument for you, as you've used the, "Oh yeah, well your state gets more money than it pays" argument NUMEROUS times before. I have pointed out to you the apples-to-bowling balls nature of those comparisons in the past...i.e. it is lame. According to my previous link, your original contention that Texas is a parasite was not only lame, but it was not even factually accurate. You could have issued a simple mea culpa and that would be that. Instead you want to blame me for being "distracted" by your inaccurate, ahem, "facts." Given your previous statements about the importance of facts, it is saddening that you suddenly find the truth to be so darn distracting:

    Sorry UB. I'll just keep posting the facts from time to time and reserve the right to respond to interesting weather reports.

    There you go again Jeff, trying to argue on point and with the facts on your side.

    For a bit of balance based on the real facts, you may want to check out this article

    Great response but I need to make a point of clarification. I never said that I "enjoyed" subsidize your state's existence with my federal tax dollars. I just stated the facts.

    This is pure speculation and contrary to the facts at hand but convoluted logic is a mainstay here so I am not surprised.

    So, the truth is now "crap being spread". If you want to provide evidence that anything I put out there is untrue then have at it.

    Hmmmm... I was thinking that just because the Palin/McCain camp says it is the truth over and over and over doesn't make it the truth.

    She said in her speech that she is a hockey Mom not a soccer mom. I think she was also in the state pageant not the county. Please, let's get the facts straight.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    and any large state pulling out would sure reduce the long term social security and medicare/medicaid burden for the rest of the country (also, as Hew points out, do not forget about all that money being spent on border patrol, and NASA).
    GW tried to do something about the long term implications of the SS issue & was shot down by your like minded cohorts. Had these accounts been properly invested rather than raided by both parties there would be a surplus & the amount of the SS/Medicare tax on paychecks would be much less. But one does have to work into their golden years to prior to being able to draw from that source. Also remember, There is no choice regarding participation.

    Now let's talk about public employee retirement &/or the plush retirement of the elected critters. That's considered to be a bigger ticking time bomb by most of the knowledgeable individuals who will put it on the table. I really feel for the government employees of any type when they step into whine mode. I will not call attention to any particular group as we all know who they are.
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    Umm, yeah...not so much. The crux of your original post was that Texas has a parasitic relationship with the United States, ..........
    Wow, what post were you reading? The crux of my original post clearly was not about the return on tax dollars. It is curious that you think a simple phrase nested in parenthesis in a much larger message is the crux of the message. I don't know about you, but I have learned that it is not usually a good idea to put the crux of a post in a short phrase nested in parenthesis, that's where you work in rather anecdotal information to get a rise out of people not the crux of a post.

    My original message simply was an attempt to acknowledge that some of the conservatives that post here were consistent (first sentence=more crux like). When the liberal hollywood elite threatened to leave the country they stepped up and said Yeah!, or better yet "AMF!". Now that the Governor of Texas said the same things, some said great idea too. I also acknowledged that, depending on your point of view, it was good that the majority of Texans did not agree with their governor (last sentence=more crux like too). At this point I could have also made a statement like "way to try and rally the base Governor" but I refrained from adding such useless folly since I figured my other phrase inserted in parenthesis would be enough of a burr for some and I can always save that one for another time anyway.

    Prior to my second post I double checked my facts related to the anecdotal statement, noted my mistake, and then re-posted a corrected version after your next reply. What more do you expect from a 6 year old?

    One last thing, next time I want to do a keyword search of past records of what I or others have typed here can I contract with you? You seem to do good work.
    Last edited by Henry V; 04-20-2009 at 03:35 PM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Please note, this is a response to an off topic post directed at me. I apologize in advance. If you are interested in "the republic of Texas" it will not be mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    GW tried to do something about the long term implications of the SS issue & was shot down by your like minded cohorts. Had these accounts been properly invested rather than raided by both parties there would be a surplus & the amount of the SS/Medicare tax on paychecks would be much less. But one does have to work into their golden years to prior to being able to draw from that source. Also remember, There is no choice regarding participation.
    I believe that the stock market related events of the past six months reinforce the need for the social security program. It was never intended as a primary retirement income source and should never be viewed as such. It should not be raided. In my simple world, I view it as investing a part of my retirement portfolio in federal government bond funds and got over it long ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Now let's talk about public employee retirement &/or the plush retirement of the elected critters. That's considered to be a bigger ticking time bomb by most of the knowledgeable individuals who will put it on the table. I really feel for the government employees of any type when they step into whine mode. I will not call attention to any particular group as we all know who they are.
    Ok, but you may want to double check whether public employees get a plush retirement compared to the private sector these days. I work regularly with state, federal, and local government employees. Aside from old timers in the federal system, they seem to get get a pretty average retirement package. The feds do get an great match on their 401K and can buy health care in the system after retirement. Not sure about elected officials retirement packages. Based on what I have read, it is medicare that is the giant problem looming in the future.

  10. #50
    Senior Member J Connolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nacogdoches, Texas
    Posts
    131

    Default

    "I view it as investing a part of my retirement portfolio in federal government bond funds and got over it long ago"

    Just a quick wake up call, but nothing could be further than the truth. Your socia security has been spent every year and all you have is the hope that the next generation will keep paying in so you get something.You are not investing in government bonds but paying for the benefits of those currently on SS.
    Jan and Mike Connolly
    www.docsgoldens.com

Similar Threads

  1. how's the rest of the Republic..
    By david gibson in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 09:01 AM
  2. We are a republic not a democracy
    By Hoosier in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 06:15 AM
  3. The Republic isn't safe when Congress is in session! GDG
    By Bob Gutermuth in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 04:30 PM
  4. Peoples Republic of MD
    By Bubba in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 06:48 AM
  5. Texas!!
    By Miriam Wade in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •