The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I expect at 10 weeks

Default What should I expect at 10 weeks

New poster here. I have had my MBL for 2 weeks now. He is from show stock with a few hunting titles sprinkled in the pedigree. I want to use him for waterfowl and some upland in the future. What should I be expecting at his age?

Obedience is going fairly well. He knows sit, stay, lets go, and leave it pretty well. up(for standing), come, and give are a little rough. I honestly think that I am expecting a lot at this age but I just wanted to give some other opinions.

Get the Jackie Mertins dvd Sound Beginnings

At ten weeks you should be expecting to have pup breathing in/out on regular basis and converting puppy food into puppy crap...that is it and that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Johndrow View Post
    At ten weeks you should be expecting to have pup breathing in/out on regular basis and converting puppy food into puppy crap...that is it and that is all.
    Excellent answer!

I find it hard to believe that at ten weeks old OB can be anything more than acceptable, but it sounds like your off to a good start. I would say keep working on the things that you have stated above, especially come (dont be in too big a hurry), maybe throw in one or two fun retrieves a day, but dont push your pup too hard or your likely to spend alot of time breaking bad habits. (been there done that)
    jim

LOL, I'm starting to get a complex that I'm not doing 200 yard marks and cold blinds with my 10 week old pup, though she does "sit" and "here" quite well. For now.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I totally agree with everyone else. Don't expect too much because its really not feasible for a 10 week old pup to do too much. I would keep up the obedience but keep it total fun. No punishment or any correction yet. Start him retrieving wings or a wing wrapped around a small bumper. But most of all make sure you keep everything fun. There will be plenty of time for correction later. Now is the time to start getting pup crazy about retrieving and pleasing you. Also make sure you are socializing pup well. Take pup with you when you go out place, if acceptable, and slowly start introducing pup to different things that he/she will encounter in the everyday world. But again make sure that pup is only put in situation in which he/she can succeed. Most of all have fun and just enjoy your puppy. It wont stay like that for long and the more work you put in now in socializing, pup gaining confidence, and making pup crazy for birds, then the easier it will be later down the road. Have fun and good luck

-Jonathan

I am also a newbie to dog training and don't get my pup until this Monday. I just received Bill Hillman's puppy training DVD in the mail yesterday and as a newbie, would highly recommend it. I have read Waterdog (got very confused) and 10 minute retriever and watched Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings, but Bill really did an outstanding job with his DVD. I have watched only watched through day 14 so far, but he simplifies thing so they are easy to understand and also shows you when the dog it ready for the next steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    LOL, I'm starting to get a complex that I'm not doing 200 yard marks and cold blinds with my 10 week old pup, though she does "sit" and "here" quite well. For now.
    I think common sense is your best guide. I do little stuff like say "Kennel" when they go in, say "do your business" when it is happening, Lots of happy "good-boys", and a few "NO"s for bitting, chewing pants legs, etc. The import thing with "no" is to change your total demeanor when you say it. They learn quick! No nagging! Clip a short check lead on them and let them drag it around, chew it and get used to it. This eliminates some issues when they go on the check cord. I keep a collor on them, some don't...
    At 10 to 12 weeks you will want to air them on a check cord as you may be finding they are getting bold and not so "sticky" to you. Finding your pup after the evening airing when he has decided to hide under the truck is no fun... The check cord is a major part of life and it starts about this time.
    Your probably doing the right stuff if your thinking about. I think the only way to really mess up is to ignore the pup and miss the opportunity to show him you're his buddy, people are cool, and that big world is where all the fun is!

hahaha...yeah good thing I dont have to teach him how to convert his food. That would freak out my neighbors.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I knew that I was frustrating myself. I read a ton of books preparing myself for the worst possible puppy scenarios and he really is a whole lot better than I was expecting. A lot of the books dont exactly tell you what to expect at his age.

I found out at his first vet visit that he has a minor heart murmur. So I am trying to keep him from highly populated areas like parks, and picking my son up from school. Socializing will have to be a little slower than I hoped.

I really want to get a dvd training video. Any other suggestions would be great.

Again thanks for the help

Let the pup experience as many things as it can with you by his side. Go for walks on lead in residential areas and both on and off lead in wooded/pasture areas. Let the guy explore...let him come running to you...fetch sticks....be a puppy for awhile as you GENTLY reinforce the basic commands you want the dog to know with PASSIVE correction...no heavy hand....there will be plenty of time for that later. Do things at HIS pace, not yours.

At this stage, it's all about "simple" and bonding with you. As he ages, you can start adding more things he needs to remember and obey. Have fun!

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.