The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Silver" lab volunteers???

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Default "Silver" lab volunteers???

After the recent silver lab thread, I contacted the folks at dog-dna.com about whether or not they could identify Weimeraner genes in silver labs.
    This is their response...

Sherri,
    I just got through talking to Kathy at our lab. We identify breed specific genes within a dog, but not color genes.
    If a Lab has Weimeraner in its heritage, we should pick that up with our test.
    I hope this answers your question. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Briana Rogers
    Mixed Breed Dog DNA Testing
    http://www.dog-dna.com
    info@dog-dna.com

Last edited by Last Frontier Labs; 04-21-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

So now all we need is someone to send in Silver lab DNA. That'll never happen.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Senior Member Heather McCormack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Frontier Labs View Post
    After the recent silver lab thread, I contacted the folks at dog-dna.com about whether or not they could identify Weimeraner genes in silver labs.
    This is their response...

Sherri,
    I just got through talking to Kathy at our lab. We identify breed specific genes within a dog, but not color genes.
    If a Lab has Weimeraner in its heritage, we should pick that up with our test.
    I hope this answers your question. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Briana Rogers
    Mixed Breed Dog DNA Testing
    http://www.dog-dna.com
    info@dog-dna.com

Do you really think it is Weimeraner genes that are at play here? Not a really poorly bred chocolate line causing a really deluted chocolate or black color? Or Chocolate and yellow breeding causing this color mess up? I know the Weimeraner coat is very similar, I have wondered how they are getting that color for quite a while.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Heather M View Post
    Do you really think it is Weimeraner genes that are at play here? Not a really poorly bred chocolate line causing a really deluted chocolate or black color? Or Chocolate and yellow breeding causing this color mess up? I know the Weimeraner coat is very similar, I have wondered how they are getting that color for quite a while.

Heather
    There are a lot of signs that point that direction, but honestly, only the DNA test will prove one way or another.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Heather, I have seen so many with the dorked up Weim ears and nose, it makes me really think it's weim genes. I don't know if this test is specific enough or not...it's just so new. I knew they'd come up with a test some day, but didn't realize it would be this soon.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Play WA View Post
    There are a lot of signs that point that direction, but honestly, only the DNA test will prove one way or another.
    I agree, I just hope someone does the DNA test to prove or disprove the coat color. If they are breeding in another breed and selling them as pure bred labradors that would be a shame and they need to be stopped. Of course what does not help is there are always people that will buy these "designer" dogs which will keep them breeding.

In all the years I have been breeding labradors I have never had one come out silver or any where near that. Just crazy!!

Heather

Just a thought, what if the dna test proved Silvers were 100 percent lab? Heaven forbid what would we do?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Frontier Labs View Post
    Heather, I have seen so many with the dorked up Weim ears and nose, it makes me really think it's weim genes. I don't know if this test is specific enough or not...it's just so new. I knew they'd come up with a test some day, but didn't realize it would be this soon.
    I sure hope it works and they figure out what they are doing. Do you know if when they do there breeding do the other three colors pop up in there litters too?

Heather

In all the years I have been breeding labradors I have never had one come out silver or any where near that. Just crazy!!
    Heather
    Neither have the other chocolate breeders I know...
    Sherri Young

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Heather
    No -- trust me, the color genetics at play are VERY simple dominant vs. recessive genes that anyone familiar with color genetics in dogs will realize, doesn't have a lot of guesswork involved. No other gene except the "D" blue dilute gene would cause that coloration in any breed.
    --Anney