The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dirty jobs - Alaska Week

Default dirty jobs - Alaska Week

Did anyone see the Dirty Jobs tv show filmed at Marten Buser's Iditarod Racing kennel?

I thought it was pretty incredible that he had a bitch that whelped a litter of pups in the middle of winter in an outdoor kennel with a dog house... temps were 20 below on the day(s) the show was filmed...

Showed them taking the pups (5 of them) inside to remove dewclaws - they were 2-3 days old....They looked really healthy!

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Of course I watched it. My daughter is addicted to Dirty Jobs. I thought it was interesting that with that many dogs, he could tell who was barking, and what the tone of each bark meant. I can with 2, but not with 80! We have new poop terminology now too.

This year's Alaska Week Dirty Jobs was much better than last year on the fish processer!
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Yes I saw that and Marten Buser is a character! I am happy they showed the dewclaw removal too. It is pretty amazing those pups survive in the cold weather being whelped out doors. I should remind my retrievers how good they have it.
    Becky Z.

Golden Retrievers: Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies and bandanas.

Real Gold's Hot Patootie WCX** "Penny"
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=144306

I was amazed that he said the sled dogs were mixed breed. Figured they would all be pure breed dogs!!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Some aren't even pure dogs!!! It's kind of neat to live out here around many of the mushers and watch them work their dogs all the time. They run them pulling 4 wheelers most of the time. Bless their hearts, but I'm also glad I'm not directly down wind of any of them.

they are commonly referred to as Alaskan Huskies....and they have several different breeds in their genetics...

pointers (GSP and others), hounds of various breeds, malemute, siberian husky, lab, and lot of others that are built for endurance.

I knew a lady that ran the Yukon Quest and Iditarod that bred her weimeraner to her racing huskies ....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Was she trying to get that "silver" coat thing going???

Now you gotta be careful with this thread. I remember another thread where people would call animal control on RTF members leaving leaving their dogs out in 0 degree weather. What are they gonna do with whelping pups in -20.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminton Steele View Post
    Was she trying to get that "silver" coat thing going???
    Doesn't matter, it is just the first one to the finish line is the winner, and so they could also have wolf in them, they just have to be fast and have endurance. The breed is mostly dog.

While I'll admit to having never owned a mixed breed dog in all of my life, I really admire the mushers for having DOGS, and not getting hung up on the breed. They're in it to win a race. Good thing AKC hasn't taken over that venue, or they'd all be out.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.