RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

dirty jobs - Alaska Week

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SeniorCoot 
#1 ·
Did anyone see the Dirty Jobs tv show filmed at Marten Buser's Iditarod Racing kennel?

I thought it was pretty incredible that he had a bitch that whelped a litter of pups in the middle of winter in an outdoor kennel with a dog house... temps were 20 below on the day(s) the show was filmed...

Showed them taking the pups (5 of them) inside to remove dewclaws - they were 2-3 days old....They looked really healthy!

Juli

#2 ·
Of course I watched it. My daughter is addicted to Dirty Jobs. I thought it was interesting that with that many dogs, he could tell who was barking, and what the tone of each bark meant. I can with 2, but not with 80! We have new poop terminology now too.

This year's Alaska Week Dirty Jobs was much better than last year on the fish processer:barf:!

#3 ·
Yes I saw that and Marten Buser is a character! I am happy they showed the dewclaw removal too. It is pretty amazing those pups survive in the cold weather being whelped out doors. I should remind my retrievers how good they have it.

#5 ·
Some aren't even pure dogs!!! It's kind of neat to live out here around many of the mushers and watch them work their dogs all the time. They run them pulling 4 wheelers most of the time. Bless their hearts, but I'm also glad I'm not directly down wind of any of them.:D

#6 ·
they are commonly referred to as Alaskan Huskies....and they have several different breeds in their genetics...

pointers (GSP and others), hounds of various breeds, malemute, siberian husky, lab, and lot of others that are built for endurance.

I knew a lady that ran the Yukon Quest and Iditarod that bred her weimeraner to her racing huskies ....

Juli

#10 ·
While I'll admit to having never owned a mixed breed dog in all of my life, I really admire the mushers for having DOGS, and not getting hung up on the breed. They're in it to win a race. Good thing AKC hasn't taken over that venue, or they'd all be out.

#11 ·
It's really the same thing. With AKC pure breeds, you will choose breeding pairs to give you what you want or need in your lines. Want a blockier head, you breed for it. Same thing here, you want to win the race and need more stretch in the stride, or greater wind or heart, you find it and breed it in. The desired "type" is what drives the choices.

#12 · (Edited)
Missed it but what appears amazing and dirty to folks in USA is common -place in AK- best kennel job ever belonged to male dog with a vasectomy in Joe Runyan's kennel-His job in life was walk around dog yard(120) and see who was in heat--then they were off to heat pen-- never had a day he didn't want to go to work.
I had a small(35) dog kennel and only one assistant- young guy- worked 7 days after school etc- his pay- a team for the jr iditarod--we had mostly village dogs- from yukon villages and from joe Runyan'kennel-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.