The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pandemic In Mexico ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Van Loo View Post

Actually, what you are calling for *is* politicizing of the situation. Using this outbreak of flu to do something you've been itching to do is the definition of politicizing.

But don't let people with medical degrees and epidemiological knowhow deter you. Politicians and TV talking heads always know best in these situations.

Lisa
    The folks with MD's and Epidemic professinals do not all agree on how this should be handled. I for one do not trust the current adminstration or their cronies to look after my welfare! I rather that if they err, they err on the side of caution.

Yes, this is a great reason to secure our boarders both north and south! What's wrong with that?
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    You have any idea how many US citizens travel to and from mexico, or are part time residents there. Are you going to close them out too?

No but they can be screened coming back in now can't they.

Lisa I never said it would stop the spread. What I did say is that it will keep some of the oroginal source out.
    On the other hand tell me how no closing it makes it better?

BTW- I just heard that the WHO is saying they many only be 7 deaths form this in Mexico.....stay tuned (note I got that on the radio and have not yet found it in print so ???)
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Hummmm....... seems as if some bad information is getting out. The WHO in the most recent update says only 7 deaths in Mexico

Swine influenza - update 5

29 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:00 GMT, 29 April 2009, nine countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases, with one death. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

The sky is falling regards

BTW- LVL that kind of makes those MD's and epidemiologist acting as talking heads look kind of stupid don't you think? They should know better than to jump to conclusions bases on information that is not confirmed. My experiance with epidemiologist (and I have had a bit) is they are good at tracking things down once they have passed, but it takes time and using poor information just sets you back
    Last edited by badbullgator; 04-29-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    You have any idea how many US citizens travel to and from mexico, or are part time residents there. Are you going to close them out too?
    They aren't allowed to travel now. Some of my wifes friends had their vacation to Mexico changed to the carribean by their travel agent without there aproval.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    No but they can be screened coming back in now can't they.

Lisa I never said it would stop the spread. What I did say is that it will keep some of the oroginal source out.
    On the other hand tell me how no closing it makes it better?

BTW- I just heard that the WHO is saying they many only be 7 deaths form this in Mexico.....stay tuned (note I got that on the radio and have not yet found it in print so ???)
    Explain "original source"? Makes no sense to an knowledgeable person. The virus is already here. It is the same virus. Does not discriminate between Mexicans and US citizens (or anyone else). If it is going to spread, it will do so. Horses are out, no point slamming the barn door closed.

Close the borders, means nobody passes. If even one person gets across, the quarantine is effectively broken, and closing the borders is then pointless. But truly, have you spent any time on either border (or the ocean ports, let's not forget those borders, plus air travel, that will have to be banned as well Closed means closed.). What are we going to do, form a human chain to keep absolutely everyone out? Because when it comes to stopping epidemics, that is exactly the ONLY way the closing borders would work. So, in real-world terms, please do edify me as to how you propose to keep any and all diseases out of the US??? What you are really talking about is trying to quarantine the entire US. Nobody gets in. Nobody gets out (if they do, they don't get back in). Do you have kids? Did any of them ever have chicken pox? Was your house under quarantine? Tell me, how'd that work for you? If you think it's hard quarantining one house with a 4-year-old, try an entire country.

Not closing it makes it better simply because medical supplies that we need are manufactured in foreign countries. All gloves used in medical work, for instance, made overseas. Almost all vaccines, made overseas. I could go on and on, but I hope you see the point. Where epidemics are concerned, CLOSED means CLOSED. NOBODY gets through. And this usually only works for "hot" viruses and small, fairly immobile populations (think African villages and Ebola, here). Mobile, first-world countries are literally incapable of stopping an epidemic in this fashion. Halt all international air traffic? You would destroy the US airlines. All trade with foreign countries would have to cease (otherwise, those merchant crews and truck drivers would take shipments over, but not be allowed back in. CLOSED means CLOSED).

Yes, those numbers are correct from WHO. Laboratory confirmation of cases in Mexico will be difficult. They simply don't have the resources. Also, the tests need to be run within 3-4 days of the start of symptoms, so confirming or denying the (much larger) numbers we are hearing from the Ignorant And Irresponsible Media may never happen.

Let's face it, if the Ignorant And Irresponsible Media wasn't having such a slow week, we would not even be having this discussion. There's no reason we need to fall for their Ignorant And Irresponsible BS.

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

I still contend that MANY Mexicans, legal and illegal cross, especially around Brownsville, seeking medical care. Sorry but stopping even one hundred keeps that much threat out of the country. Is it here? Yes. Does that mean we need even 100 cases coming in from the south? Not in my opinion.
    And yes I have spent time in boarder towns and a lot of time in ports thanks.

Knowledgeable regards
    Corey Burke

Hoping they cancel my daughters cruise scheduled for June 21 they canceled up to June 14
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I still contend that MANY Mexicans, legal and illegal cross, especially around Brownsville, seeking medical care. Sorry but stopping even one hundred keeps that much threat out of the country. Is it here? Yes. Does that mean we need even 100 cases coming in from the south? Not in my opinion.
    And yes I have spent time in boarder towns and a lot of time in ports thanks.

Knowledgeable regards
    Good luck with that! You still haven't presented a solid, workable proposal for how you are going to achieve this feat of keeping even 100 Mexicans out of the country. We have a rule of thumb where I work: don't complain unless you also provide one or more workable solutions. Otherwise, it is just so much cheap-seats yapping.

Hey, all you people who want to quarantine the whole country 'cause you are so skeered of Mexicans, how about doing something that will REALLY help the country? Maybe we should lock up all the fat people until they achieve a healthy weight? More people die from obesity-related conditions every year than ever do from flu, swine or otherwise. Heck, forcing the country to lose weight would save BILLIONS in related medical costs. Now there's a plan I can get behind, since I could stand to lose a few myself!

If the previous paragraph just seems absurd, well now you know how the rest of this thread looks to thinking people.

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Fat people don't make me fat.....

sayin
    Corey Burke

I still contend that MANY Mexicans, legal and illegal cross, especially around Brownsville, seeking medical care. Sorry but stopping even one hundred keeps that much threat out of the country.
    And, if the Mexican Flu is worse than what we are being told, they will flood the southwestern parts of the USA looking for medical help and creating a higher risk for our own citizens.

Just another reason why open boarders are not good for the overall health and welfare of the USA!

Of course, it may take a real tragedy here in the USA before anyone in DC gets real about open boarders and the potential dangers.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge