RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Reloading primer loads

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Tnken 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a reloader for 12g primers. I've never done this so I have no idea as to what to look for. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Jeff

#2 ·
EBAY!!

Go there and search Mec 600 JR. I,ve seen em go for 40.00 or so.

The most basic of all the Mecs. Bullet proof.

Ya never know!! Ya might just roll some a yer own ammo someday!!

Its kinda addicting too!

#5 ·
I've got the 9000G which I bought for reloading purposes not primer poppers. Be that as it may, I can run 100 popper shells through the loader in about 10 minutes. The MEC 600 Jr. is the cheapest route as long as you have the time to use a single stage.

#4 ·
I've been successfully reloading Remmington .209 primers into Fiocchi shells I get for free after training days or HT. Most slip in easy with a push of the thumb. But some dont. My thumb also gets tired.

So is there any cheap- safe- easy device to just get the old primer out and the new one in without risking any fingers/eyes?

The little metal block that Dogs Afield had is no longer available.

I just train my dogs so don't need to reload shotgun shells so don't want to purchase a big reloader.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks

#7 ·
You only need a hammer and punch to reload 12g primers. Popper Loads are a different deal, but to reload primer loads just knock the old primer out and push the new one in.

Dogs Afield sells a punch and base for about $20.

#8 ·
Be very careful when installing new primers in empty shells. That little charge carries a hell of a whollop whether you know it or not. When I was about 7 years old, I saw my Dad discharge a primer in an empty 12 gauge shell. It blew the side of his hand open requiring some heavy duty bandaging. If a primer can do that to a hand, imagine what it could possibly do to other little necessities like oh say - your eyes.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I use a MEC JR but had to put a 20 ga. deprimer cause the OD was to big on the 12 ga. MEC to knock primers out of the pre crimped primer loads. If you use regular shells that have been shot it isn't a problem. You could get all the empties you want at the skeet range.
I have pretty good luck just pressing them in by hand also. I can do about 1 box of 25 per 5 mins and it only cost me .65 cents a box. Of course I buy primers by 5000 at a time.

#13 ·
What model Lee should I look for on ebay? My thumb will thank you.

Will it also finish seating the primer on the ones I could only push in part way with my thumb? I have a bag of these as I didn't dare bang on them to get the primer all the way in. :) I'm using 12 gauge

Thanks!

#14 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.