RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ford Diesel problem

4K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  RedstarKennels 
#1 ·
My 2006 Ford Diesel got water in the tank after fueling. We drained the tank, changed the fuel filter etc., and the warning went away.

Around 4-5 tanks later the warning came on again after driving on the same fuel for 3/4 tank with 1/4 tank left. No recent fueling. Tank drained but nothing else. Warning light still coming on.

Ford says to have tank cleaned? Any ideas?

#3 ·
Had similar problem on a 2005 F350. Did you drain the fuel conditioner module on frame under drivers side. I found I have to drain about quart of fuel out from conditioner, drive about 100 miles and if light comes back on continue this process until no water comes out with fuel.

#4 ·
Tammy
I had a similar problem with my diesel, went to Napa and got some additive. I believe it was called Diesel RX, the guy behind the counter should be able to help, when I went in I told him what my problem was and he recomended the aformentioned. I added it to my tank and within a 100 or so miles the water warning light went out and no more problem.

Hope this helps
Marty Newport

#8 ·
Tammy,

I have an 05 F350. With this model year (so should include yours which is a year later) there is a means to drain water buildup in the fuel from underneath the truck and you need a special wrench to do it. Now, it's done with every oil change, not just every fuel filters change, on my truck... Before I started doing it this frequently I would occasionally get water in fuel warnings, but to fix the problem all I had to do was this little thing, not drain the tank, clean the tank, etc. And since I've been doing it more regularly, I haven't had the warning in at least a year or more.

And you may be well aware of this but there are two fuel filters, not one, and both should be changed each time. Ford says some folks just change the upper one under the hood.

Hope this helps. :)

#22 ·
And you may be well aware of this but there are two fuel filters, not one, and both should be changed each time. Ford says some folks just change the upper one under the hood.

Hope this helps. :)
do you mean to change these filters each time you chg the oil? One guy here in Rochester recommends chging all filters every time--very expensive and I guess he makes more money. Ford Dealer and another diesel shop say it isn't necessary to chg fuel filters with each oil change--and in addition these filters are meant to work better if left in place according to maintenance schedule.

we haven't had that light come on in our '04 yet
. light came on in training groups--2 F350's. mechanic emptied one 2x, added fuel junk--light has stayed off. other guy hasn't done a thing with his...light is still on.

#11 ·
THANKS, ALL, FOR THE TIPS!

I will take your advice and go in to have my sensor and filters changed. Hopefully if I run a tank of additive and then do as Vicki advises with each oil change I can prevent the problem from repeating.

#13 ·
Just a Reminder:
Had similar problem on my 2006 F350 Dually. In addition to all the other suggestions...ie: additives...don't forget to drain the fuel conditioner module on frame under drivers side. It might take a few tank fulls of additive and draining the module...and reset your sensor..
At least it isn't a 2004 F-350 6.0L...I've got horror stories on that one. I miss my 7.3L:(
Karen...

#16 ·
Glad I took it to the Ford dealer......at least the one in Oxford, MS. The one in Batesville said we would have to clean the tank for $500.

The Service Manager, a womenz, got me in first thing this morning and in 30 minutes told me that they were going to install a revised sensor under warranty. She then warned me about the 'after market' fuel filters we were using......my man's idea to save money. She pulled out a Ford fuel filter kit and showed me the mesh cloth wrapped around the whole filter. That is there to stop the water immediately from going any further into the fuel system. The 'after market' brands don't have that mesh cloth.....I know because my man had me buy a set from Autozone yesterday which we returned today.

Unfortunately, the Ford dealer did not have a manifold in stock that needs replaced with the sensor and advised me not to drive the truck any further until it could be repaired. They want to clean the system and be sure that any water is removed in order to prevent any damage to my injectors.

So now it is parked in Oxford until the morning awaiting a new manifold, revised sensor, fuel cleaning and new FORD FUEL FILTERS. Then I am off to Lincoln Trail!

#17 ·
Only a chick would buy that line of BS.

JUst take the bulb out of the warning light thingy and you are good to go.

Reliable Guy advice regards

Bubba

#18 ·
Only a chick would buy that line of BS.

JUst take the bulb out of the warning light thingy and you are good to go.

Reliable Guy advice regards

Bubba
Yes, my MENZ drives all his vehicles with the 'Service Engine' light on. He says it will eventually go out..... it does ...... WHEN THE BULB BURNS OUT!

#20 ·
All diesels have fuel-water separators of some type. My F250 with the 6.0 used to have a similar issue to yours Tammy. I simply have it drained every time it is on a lift.

This is not an issue related to Ford, but to all diesels. I used to have fuel water separator on my boat, and would drain it regularly.

All fuel systems will generate some level of water in them, through either condensation in tanks, or coming in externally, such as with "bad fuel". Additives will help only to some degree, but are worth using I feel.

But, a good practice is to follow the filter replacement schedules, and have that fuel water separator drained regularly regardless. This especially applies if you are in climates where Freezing is of real concern.

Jim

#23 ·
The 08's have self cleaning air filters.

I assume they still need changing, but every 1000 miles my information screen says "cleaning air filters".

Now we just need that for fuel filters.

#26 ·
I would not change the fuel filters every time you change the oil filters. I change my fuel filters every year---about 35,000 miles each time. Other then that, check with the schedule for replacement for your particular engine and follow that.

In most cases however, you will again have that fuel water separator to drain, who's job it is to remove the water, most often using gravity (fuel is lighter then water).

I am not an engineer, but I believe most fuel filters will readily pass water thru them.

Jim

#27 ·
Fuel filters should be changed at no more than 15,000 miles , according to the book ! You should only use ford or international fuel filters ,as they are the only ones with the water seprater membrane on them ! The water should be drained from the frame rail mounted filter assembly at every oil change or 50000 miles whichever comes first . Biodiesel is not good for the 6.0 litre and can sludge up your tank . Additives are good but not created equal.The best one I have found is `optilube . Google it to find out where to buy !

#28 ·
Not much price difference between the Autozone aftermarket fuel filters at $50 and the Ford filters at $75. I understand you need to change them around 10-15k miles.

I believe that there is an aftermarket quick drain which you can install in place of the allen screw to make it easier to drain water with routine maintenance. Being a pilot, I am used to draining the sumps before every flight. Just part of the preflight and very easy.

I believe it would be a good idea to drain the water before driving the vehicle after it has been sitting for any length of time and at every oil change. I'm not up on those freezing temps though!

So far the problem has not resurfaced and hope the revised sensor works well. I really feel that condensation may be the culprit since the truck had been sitting for a time with much rainfall in our area. Again, as in an airplane that has been sitting out, we drain the water. Great routine for the truck too!

#29 ·
I got the solution,

BUY A CUMMINS!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

sorry couldnt help myself...its just that I dont have these problems...and a fuel filter at 75 or even 50 dollars is just plan crazy...22.95 for a hastings 5 mic. for me!!!

ohh yea, I dont worry about alittle water in the tank, hell a Cummins runs on pea-gravel, sand, dirt, mud, ohhh and a little diesel.

NCA

Ps...its the rest of the truck I worry about!!!!!!!!!! in all seriousness...140k on the clock (1999) and I have not replaced anything other than two sets of brake pads, shocks, and a headlight switch. everthing else works as it should. "fingers crossed, knocking on wood"

#30 ·
I got the solution,

BUY A CUMMINS!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

sorry couldnt help myself...its just that I dont have these problems...and a fuel filter at 75 or even 50 dollars is just plan crazy...22.95 for a hastings 5 mic. for me!!!

ohh yea, I dont worry about alittle water in the tank, hell a Cummins runs on pea-gravel, sand, dirt, mud, ohhh and a little diesel.

NCA

Ps...its the rest of the truck I worry about!!!!!!!!!! in all seriousness...140k on the clock (1999) and I have not replaced anything other than two sets of brake pads, shocks, and a headlight switch. everthing else works as it should. "fingers crossed, knocking on wood"
I agree that the Cummins is probably the best motor right now. At least the ones a few years older.

But when you buy a Dodge, it's like riding in a 70's motel room. Interior is so inferior to anything else I cannot bring myself to buy one again. Had 2 back in the late 90's early 2000's and both were like rattle traps after 30,000 miles. Both transmissions went out just after 40,000.

Never again...

Ford body, Cummins diesel, Allison transmission........now that would be a truck.;-)

#31 ·
I have a Duramax but still have similar issues. From what I read that most of the new filters will not pass any or very little water. If water goes thru injectors it will shorten life drastically. I also read and talked to the folks ta the QT truck port that I usually buy fuel from that the new fuel is stickier and is shortening filter life. GM's Duramax filter is supposed to get 15k miles between changes. I have had clogged filters at 6k . Watch where you get fuel and try and buy from newer fuel stations that turn over a high volume of fuel. I now change filter with every oil change. I have also been thinking of going with a aftermarket set up. Should save $$ in the long run.

#32 · (Edited)
I agree with "Sinned"....
Two or Three times a year...Spring, Summer and Fall...I take my little set of allen wrenches out of my little tool box labled.."MOM's ONLY" and slide underneath my truck...by drivers side door...reach up under the frame..look for the little plug with a hex indent..insert wrench..and unscrew...NOW get out of the way...cause it will drain...water/deisel...and you'll smell until you shower and change your clothes...Let it drain...replace plug...and you are good to go.
I had to learn this trick...while at a service station in Flagstaff...Learning opportunities take on a whole new meaning when you live in Michigan...and have problems in another state...But...now I can do it!!!!
It is also good to learn basic Mechanics...I get so tired of people trying to "Blow Smoke" just cause I am a woman...and they think they can get away with it..and charge me $$$$$. I grew up in a Home Owned Dealership familiy..and Dad started us all out in the "Back", Service Dept...doing WRO's. Great Experience/Great Dad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.