The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Who Taught you to train and who taught them

I started with Bob Sparks, who the grounds at Treasure State are named after. He would have been a legend in the sport had he not passed away much too soon. What he taught me & others was enough to get us going & be able to recognize when someone was not doing things right & why. We also had "Training Your Retriever" by James Lamb Free (the Richard Wolters of the FT sport). Get a copy & read it sometime, you will recognize the growth of training methods, pretty antiquated in those days.

After having been around awhile I trained with Mike Greene for about 4 years when we had similar dogs - after work training dictates that you have to limit your setups, hence similar dogs. Also trained through one dog with a pro & learned a lot of do's & don'ts.

A beginner has to recognize they need to have a cursory knowledge of what's going on to benefit from some training situations. Going from Grade School to attempting your PHD just doesn't work, too much gets missed along the way.

One of the things where experience is a benefit is an ability to recognize when someone is doing something right & being able to ask them how they got there. It is also a great reminder that all dogs are not alike & need to be brought along with different methods. All the good Amateur trainers have a fairly constant pattern they follow regarding introduction to new situations. & there are many of them, situations & Amateur trainers.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Only because I have Eva in season and Rosa and Sophie are out am I able to look back at older posts and so I found this one. Yes Rex taught both Dana and myself, however we all need mentors. In my case it was Louise and Augie Belmont with whom we trained as much as our jobs allowed. A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get alot more screwings than gifts" Louise quote. "Augie, don't you ever do with Soupy what YOU think is right, do you always do what Rex says? " "Well for the money I pay the man for his advice, I think I better take it." Augie quote." Lanse when a club has a trial and the club members have a tailgate to award ribbons and trophies you go even if you only have a JAM. To not do so is arrogant, rude and does not reflect well on you as a person . Louise quote. The latter is a pet peeve of mine as too often when the club has it's party the awards are given and the PRO who has earned awards is not there. This is the same group of amateurs and volunteers who put on the trial that allows the Pro to make a living and the Pro snubs his/her nose at those hosting the trial. There are also some "big name amateurs" who do the same thing and tell the club to mail them the ribbons and trophies. They too are people who think of themselves as being above the crowd. What I see is a metamorphisis that our game is losing what was a fun time, a sharing time, people pitched in and we all got together after the day and got ripped and enjoyed eachother. To realize that some people today don't know who John Olin, Louise&Augie Belmont, 2x NAFC NFC Super Chief , NAFC River Oaks Corky were brings me back to Roy McFall's statement to me "This is a self satisfying sport Lanse, and if you are satisified I am not." It is NOT all about winning,trophies and ribbons. It includes people and without those people who put on the trials there would be no trials to allow those who take to brag and say their dog has xxx points or has won the National. Remember to say thank you to the club officers for putting on the trial, take a minute to write the judges who sat in the rain for 3 days so you could say "I got 3rd" . I think we should try and put a bit more human compassion into how we approach the sport. Believe me no one will remember what you or your dog did 3 years from now, they will however remember if YOU were cordial, helpful and courteuos. We are all in the same boat so we should all pull our own weight and row in the same direction. But then again I am an old fart and my expectations are probably antiquated.

Lanse, you are right on. We used to have a tailgate party at our Cimarron Club and it just got to the point that it was futile. We lost money on them and threw away tons of food.

If there are six pros entered in a field trial, then ALL of them should show up at the awards dinner.

Your post is right on, and I second everything you say.

Tim

I literally grew up in this game. My father was my daily mentor but through the years I had the opportunity to train and run with some of the great pro's and amateurs. Learning how to train, how to win and how to lose.
    Long before the AKC ever thought of it I had to apprentice judge before my first assignment under Jesse Mitchell and Mo Saffel (Lanse will know who I'm talking about).

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Bon, answer to your question -
    Martin Julseth (Madison, WI.) & James Lamb Free 1961, Jake Baird, Joe Schomer,
    Cotton Pershall, Royal's Moose's Moe, and Multi Judging Assignments over 40 Plus years.

Cleo and I both learned alot about basics from Ed Weatherby (CNFTC Overland Express,"Jake". Cleo threw birds every afternoon for Ed after she got off work and he taught her to train "SUE" in return. I just went and watched a lot. Ed learned alot of his knowledge from Bock Doar, who ran Jake.

We fell in with the beginnings of NAHRA over in Covington, Ga. and then moved from Camden, AL to Tylertown, MS and found HRC which was closer and have been with HRC ever since. Good people, good dogs and have grown old with a bunch of Chocolate Labs. We've had a lot of help along the way and I would be remiss if I did not say that we had an awful lot of help from Mary Howley, a Lady with lots of knowledge and good humor.

Over the years we have been fortunate to have had the help of Paul Gray, Ed Thibodeaux, Joel Soprano, Eddie Sullivan and Bart Posey with our dogs and all the help was deeply appreciated. The people we've met over the last 25 years have been great (except the one or two a holes you are bound to run into) and I wouldn't trade any of the running and judging I've along the way. I was sorry I did not get to judge with an apprentice up at Key Stone HRC several years back and saw our names on a premium when going through some old papers.

I would like to thank all of the people that have made this such a fun trip over the years, it has really been a blast! Bill
    ________
    TANYTHOTT cam
    Last edited by Bill Watson; 08-28-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    Only because I have Eva in season and Rosa and Sophie are out am I able to look back at older posts and so I found this one. Yes Rex taught both Dana and myself, however we all need mentors. In my case it was Louise and Augie Belmont with whom we trained as much as our jobs allowed. A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get alot more screwings than gifts" Louise quote. "Augie, don't you ever do with Soupy what YOU think is right, do you always do what Rex says? " "Well for the money I pay the man for his advice, I think I better take it." Augie quote." Lanse when a club has a trial and the club members have a tailgate to award ribbons and trophies you go even if you only have a JAM. To not do so is arrogant, rude and does not reflect well on you as a person . Louise quote. The latter is a pet peeve of mine as too often when the club has it's party the awards are given and the PRO who has earned awards is not there. This is the same group of amateurs and volunteers who put on the trial that allows the Pro to make a living and the Pro snubs his/her nose at those hosting the trial. There are also some "big name amateurs" who do the same thing and tell the club to mail them the ribbons and trophies. They too are people who think of themselves as being above the crowd. What I see is a metamorphisis that our game is losing what was a fun time, a sharing time, people pitched in and we all got together after the day and got ripped and enjoyed eachother. To realize that some people today don't know who John Olin, Louise&Augie Belmont, 2x NAFC NFC Super Chief , NAFC River Oaks Corky were brings me back to Roy McFall's statement to me "This is a self satisfying sport Lanse, and if you are satisified I am not." It is NOT all about winning,trophies and ribbons. It includes people and without those people who put on the trials there would be no trials to allow those who take to brag and say their dog has xxx points or has won the National. Remember to say thank you to the club officers for putting on the trial, take a minute to write the judges who sat in the rain for 3 days so you could say "I got 3rd" . I think we should try and put a bit more human compassion into how we approach the sport. Believe me no one will remember what you or your dog did 3 years from now, they will however remember if YOU were cordial, helpful and courteuos. We are all in the same boat so we should all pull our own weight and row in the same direction. But then again I am an old fart and my expectations are probably antiquated.
    A lot of people dont know who Lanse Brown is and what he has given to the sport either...thank you very much for the generosity and friendship you have shown my family all these years, we will never forget it....
    All my Exes live in Texas

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Maybe I missed it and if I did I apologize but I haven't seen names like Chris Aiken, Lyle Steinman, Charlie Jurney, Scott Greer and Ronnie Lee. I know these guys aren't the 'Old Timers' but with their recent success in the last 15 years or so I thought I would have seen them mentioned.... just wondering.
    Runs Creek Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Sweet Virginia Breeze - 1000 Pt Club
    HRCH UH Runs Creek's Meant To Be - 500 Pt Club
    HRCH UH Runs Creek's Show Me The Money - 500 Pt. Club
    Runs Creek's Fiddle of Gold

Best post Ive read in a long time. Thanks Lance.

Thank your judges no matter what score or pass/fail grade they give you. You're running and they're not.
    Runs Creek Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Sweet Virginia Breeze - 1000 Pt Club
    HRCH UH Runs Creek's Meant To Be - 500 Pt Club
    HRCH UH Runs Creek's Show Me The Money - 500 Pt. Club
    Runs Creek's Fiddle of Gold