The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Be A Limit????

Default Should Be A Limit????

Do You Think There Should Be A Limit Of How Many Times A Person Tries To Title A Dog ?? Just Was Wondering What Your Thoughts Are.

Why
    ????

Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Pay your money....try your chances. No limit.
    Arrow's Cappucino Express MH "Hooter" deceased
    Fetch Express Locomotion RN MH
    Fetch Express Smokey Owl CD RN MH Therapy Dog and Diabetic Aert Dog
    Fetch Express Bravo Zula SH RN NAJ CDX Therapy Dog and Diabetic Alert Dog.

Had lots of good dogs but when one saves your life it is a whole different ballgame!

Quote Originally Posted by allydeer View Post
    Do You Think There Should Be A Limit Of How Many Times A Person Tries To Title A Dog ?? Just Was Wondering What Your Thoughts Are.
    That is absurd IMO. All that would do would be to encourage people to give up on the dog you have and start a new one instead of learning and working through the issues.[EDIT]...or give up on the sport completely. Is that what we want?
    Last edited by HuntinDawg; 04-29-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Im kind of torn about this. I was discussing this with my buddy the other day.

I think it could hurt the participation in the test but I think there should be a reasonable limit to how many times you can test to a certain standard.

I think if it takes your dog 15-20 test to achieve a MH title then there is a problem...either with the training that you should back up, train more and then go forward when really ready. If the dog has had the training and is still taking that many tries to succeed at passing the standard then you have to say that the dog is very inconsistent and not one that you want representing the standard they took so long to achieve.

I know a few of my friends that are new to retrievers would see MH on a dogs pedigree and assume they were getting a great specimen of a dog when in reality that dog may have ran 18 or 20 test to get 5 passes needed for that title... once again, provided adequate training, a decent dog should be able to achieve a the title at a better frequency than 25-30% success...

The other part of me says that it would be wrong to limit the number of attempts because alot of people (myself included) are doing this for the joy of it and to have a hunting off season goal to shoot for and arent concerned with passing on our dogs genes.

The standard is the standard if you want to pay to run a dog in master 25 times good for you. I have doubts that a dog that takes 20 test to pass 5-6 is ever going to pass that many. I guess your going for the blind hog thing...
    Far easier to shop judges and only run under those with 70% pass rates don;t you think. How do you think a dog that titles like that is any different than a dog that runs 20 times under tough judges?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

1. Right now we do not want to do anything to limit the number of entries in hunt tests for retriever club financial health

2. I think we want to encourage people to keep working at it and making there dogs better. The only reason to limit is for breading purposes, but really is a MH a breading standard anymore? I would emagine that few people breed blindly to a dog just because he is a master hunter. If they do it is most likely not a significant breeding, a neighborhood breeding. Those that are looking to get a solid breeding of HRCH/MH will look at the pedigree and ask when he passed or how many times he passed vs. failed.

Banned

Why??? It's a non-competitve venue... If I enter the obedience ring and it takes myself and my dog 100 attempts to get a CD, who cares???

That's why the title goes behind the name..

Angie

It took me 7 years to get through high school... should my deeploma mean less?

SM

I say no limit...not that I'd want to be one of the ones it takes the 20 times mentioned earlier....I guess I look at it as a training day that costs a person a few extra bucks....you also get to meet some great folks...maybe make a connection with someone that really helps you make some progress down the line. As long as your pockets are deep and you can accept the failure aspect leading up to that 20th run....go for it!
    You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it