Yesterday I regrettably gave my 5 month old YLF a frozen beef bone to chew on. I thought it was too large to even worry about her swallowing it...I was wrong. Soon after noticing she swallowed it I brought her to the vet. He took an X-Ray and determined it was best to go ahead perform surgery to remove the bone from her stomach before it moved into the digestive tract where it would cause risk for further expensive complications.
Has anyone had to deal with recovery from this type of surgery? If so, what should I expect? My vet told me she should be isolated to her kennel for 10 days and walked on a leash to go to the bathroom, which would be a tremendous burden for me. Is this a little excessive?
Also, I have heard about squirting hydrogen peroxide in a dog's throat to induce vomiting in the event you notice the dog consumed rat poision. Does anyone know if this applies to foreign objects, such as a bone, as well? I would like to think this is the last time I will have to deal w/ this issue but, if she swallowed that bone, I assume she will swallow similiar things in the future.
Thanks in advance