The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA talk

Default NRA talk

Ok first off let me say I am and have long been a supporter of the NRA and will continue to be one. I don’t really intend this as an NRA bashing thread, but I do have to say some of the things they do really pizz me off. While I send them plenty of money each year (above my regular membership) there is no single organization from who I receive more JUNK mail. At least twice a week I get something from them usually with something printed in big bold letter that says something like “help prevent the most sweeping gun control ever”…blah, blah, blah. Every one of them goes in the trash without ever opening it. Now in the last week I have received on snail mail and two emails offering special priced WINE! What in the heck? Really wine? Maybe I should have read it but I tossed it and deleted it, but why is the NRA pushing wine? Why do I get 30,000 offers for insurance from them? What the hell is going on there? Look this stuff has to cost them money, the very same money I send in to fight anti gun legislature. While I think they do a great job doing what they are meant to do, I am somewhat baffled by some of the ways they spend money to raise money. I can say that were there an equal alternative I would probably send my money there, much like I have done with DU by sending my money to Delta.
    Is it just me or is anyone esle bothered by this?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

No......it's not just you.
    Those mailings cost lots of $$$$$.
    Also the new NRA H/Q building is pretty pricey.
    It is a legit issue.
    Stan b & Elvis

Not just you, there frickin nuts when it comes to junk mail!

Kevin
    "SR Isabel's Going for gold"
    "Kallie's Anatomy Of Grey"

Both lazy house pets untill you ask, "do you want to go play"!

I agree that it's a pain but they have to feel that they're getting an adequate return on their investment somewhere. In addition, now, you've spread the word and it didn't cost them ANYTHING this time, like when you say to a co-worker "hey have you seen that STUPID McWendy's CarlKing burger commercial with..."
    Also because if you've contributed for different causes at different times, you get put in numerous databases. One marketing firm gets 1 list and so on. I'm a Life member and I still get calls asking me to join or pay my dues.

Lastly you've got the "persons who looked at this, might also be interested in..." come on.
    Would you have opened the mailing if it was for beer, scotch or something you are interested in ?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I agree that it's a pain but they have to feel that they're getting an adequate return on their investment somewhere. In addition, now, you've spread the word and it didn't cost them ANYTHING this time, like when you say to a co-worker "hey have you seen that STUPID McWendy's CarlKing burger commercial with..."
    Also because if you've contributed for different causes at different times, you get put in numerous databases. One marketing firm gets 1 list and so on. I'm a Life member and I still get calls asking me to join or pay my dues.

Lastly you've got the "persons who looked at this, might also be interested in..." come on.
    Would you have opened the mailing if it was for beer, scotch or something you are interested in ?

No I don't open junk mail or buy form people on the phone. If I want something I go out and get it
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

While I got mad at and cancelled both NRA and DU a few years back for that reason I just sent money to re up for both. I am sure they have mass marketing guys that look at that stuff and that they can recoup the money. I do wish I could just send a check once a year and mark a box dont send me any more crap until next years dues payment. BTW I re upped with NRA via telemarketer.

I thought I have read that most of the money still goes to the cause.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein View Post
    While I got mad at and cancelled both NRA and DU a few years back for that reason I just sent money to re up for both. I am sure they have mass marketing guys that look at that stuff and that they can recoup the money. I do wish I could just send a check once a year and mark a box dont send me any more crap until next years dues payment. BTW I re upped with NRA via telemarketer.

I thought I have read that most of the money still goes to the cause.
    Steve I don’t doubt that most of the money goes to the cause and I am sure that information could be found. I just wish much more of it went to that instead of wasting paper, postage, time….. Think how much more they would have for good causes if they were not trying to sell me wine and insurance
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Steve I don’t doubt that most of the money goes to the cause and I am sure that information could be found. I just wish much more of it went to that instead of wasting paper, postage, time….. Think how much more they would have for good causes if they were not trying to sell me wine and insurance
    And buying new buildings!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Think how much more they would have for good causes if they were not trying to sell me wine and insurance

I don’t know if this is the case…but the wine was probably sold at a discount or given as a donation to the NRA and they are turning it into cash. Does the NRA piss off some money?…probably but they do represent all gun owners and I have and will continue to give them money. I am sure they are loading the war chest for the siege that has and will continue to come for our guns.
    Still in Oklahoma clinging to my religion and guns.

p.s. if I was really worried about how they are spending the money I would get involved on a local level but I am not so I don’t. The nightly phone calls have stopped since I asked them to stop though.

What is the appropriate wine to enjoy while shooting a Glock .40? I'm thinking a nice 2009 MD 20/20.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford