The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Souter's retirement from the Supreme Court

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I would like to see Fearless Learder goof like Ike did when he put Earl Warren on the bench and pick a closet conservative for the spot. With the way my luck is going he will pick Ward Churchill or some real dingleberry.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    I would like to see Fearless Learder goof like Ike did when he put Earl Warren on the bench and pick a closet conservative for the spot. With the way my luck is going he will pick Ward Churchill or some real dingleberry.
    Hillary Clinton....or even worse his wife Michelle
    Last edited by BonMallari; 05-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

It will be interesting to see the role reversal of those on the senate judiciary committee. Any bets that the republicans treat this presidents selection far better than Alito and Roberts were treated by the democrats?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    It will be interesting to see the role reversal of those on the senate judiciary committee. Any bets that the republicans treat this presidents selection far better than Alito and Roberts were treated by the democrats?
    Well the Democrats certainly treated GWB's appointees better than the Republicans on the Judiciary Committee treated Clinton's. It would be nice to see the Republicans return the favor.

We shall see!
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    You're kidding, Right?
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Jeff-

I don't have the statistics handy but it seems to me that you have reversed the roles. Bush's nominees faired far worse that did Clinton's. I seem to remember that at one time the number of vacancies held hostage by the Dems was so large that some judges at the District Court level were in danger of being seriously overloaded.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Jeff-

I don't have the statistics handy but it seems to me that you have reversed the roles. Bush's nominees faired far worse that did Clinton's. I seem to remember that at one time the number of vacancies held hostage by the Dems was so large that some judges at the District Court level were in danger of being seriously overloaded.

Eric
    As judiciary chair Orin Hatch routinely refused to schedule hearings on Clinton appointees. Some of this he justified based on objections by a (Republican) Senator to the proposed candidate -- a policy which had some historical basis in Senate traditions but which he reversed once Bush became President. Both Orin Hatch and John Ashcroft (still a Senator under Clinton) openly said that it was essential to keep liberals out of the courts and that they would not allow liberal candidates to be appointed.

Clinton, who did not place the same importance on judicial nominees and preferred to avoid confrontation on this issue, responded by appointing some of the most conservative judicial candidates ever put forward by a Democrat. With this approach, his record on gaining approvals for appellate court nominees was approximately equal to GWB's. However, he was less successful at the lower court levels and the vacancy rate for district level judicial nominees was very high. These vacancies were rapidly filled once GWB became President.

While the vacancy rate at the appellate level remained largely unchanged under GWB, that statistic ignores the fact that 90 new judgeships were created, thus allowing GWB to fill many more positions. A large majority of all Federal judges were appointed by Republican Presidents.

Your post relies on your interpretation of the situation....as did mine. I was simply asking if you had any facts. It appears that you don't.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Your post relies on your interpretation of the situation....as did mine. I was simply asking if you had any facts. It appears that you don't.

Eric
    At the Federal circuit court level, 61% of all justices are Republican. At the appellate level, 56% were appointed by Republicans and 36% by Democrats. The number of vacancies increased from 18 (out of 178) to 25 while Clinton was President. For all but two of these, Clinton had made appointments over a period of years that were not acted on by the Republican controlled Judiciary Committee and finally expired at the end of his term. 21 nominations were pending as of 7/1/2000, the traditional last date for considering nominations by an outgoing president. Under Bush, the number of vacancies declined from 25 at the beginning of his term to 12. While Bush actually had more appointments rejected or withdrawn, he was not ultimately blocked from making the appointment as became the pattern under Orin Hatch's administration of the process.