RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ivermectin help

8K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Kevin WI 
#1 ·
Want to switch dogs from Heart Gard to Ivermectin want to make sure i have the right stuff (box) and dosage

Ivomec (ivermectin)
Injection for cattle and swine
1% sterile solution

So if i have lets say a 50 pound dog is is .5 of a cc (1/2 cc)
thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like the stuff I use and at the same dosage I use.

#3 ·
Ivomec for injection is 1% solution which converts to 10mg/cc. So 1/2cc=5mg.

The 50 to 100# heartgard contains 272 mcg of ivomectin which equals 0.272 mg. So giving a 50# dog 1/2 cc you are giving 18X more ivomectin than what is in Heartgard Brown.

However--in order to kill intestional parasites such as hookworms the higher dosage is needed.

#4 ·
How much do you recommend giving?

#5 ·
If you read past threads you will find this has been hotly debated before.
Every one on here has a different dose or different way to give it.
Some give it oral. I inject mine under the skin. Some people mix it. I don't
I give it one CC for one hundred pounds so your 50 pound dog would be .5cc on my scale
I have read where it takes very high doses to over dose or adversely react on the dogs.
I have had plenty of dogs and never had a problem with that dose
I had one dog live to 15 years and she got .75 CCs once a month her whole life.
John

#7 ·
Go to your local farm supply and buy a paste horse wormer with 1.87 ivermec, normally the product I buy is called Zimectim. Make sure it says 1.87, they make a smaller doze. Give .10 of 1 cc once a month on the tongue. An insulin syringe works best, as it shows the tenths. This dosage works up to 100 lb. dogs. I've used this for nearly 25 years on Beagles, Coonhounds and Retrievers. I have never had a problem with a dog of mine, nor had any come down with Heartworms. Four different vets have said to me, that this product and dosage is perfectly save and effective on short haired dogs.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by okvet

The 50 to 100# heartgard contains 272 mcg of ivomectin which equals 0.272 mg. So giving a 50# dog 1/2 cc you are giving 18X more ivomectin than what is in Heartgard Brown.

However--in order to kill intestional parasites such as hookworms the higher dosage is needed.

How much do you recommend giving????????????????????????????????

#9 · (Edited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okvet

How much do you recommend giving????????????????????????????????
using cattle labeled ivermectin is considered "off label" and no licensed practicing veterinarian can/should recommend off label use of any drug.

There are many sources for the effective dosage, so far no study has shown that any higher dose of ivermectin than that which is in Heartgard is more effective for killing the infective tissue phase microfilaria. The dose in Heartgard tablets was established so that the ivermectin level would be high enough to kill microfilaria but low enough to not cause toxicity in breeds of dogs sensitive to ivermectin (Collies and other herding breeds).

The most used heartworm preventatives are from the group macrocyclic lactones and include ivermectin (Heartgard), milbemycin (Interceptor), selamectin (Revolution), and moxidectin (Pro-Heart 6 injection and Advantage Multi) which is perhaps why there have been breaks with all of these products under certain circumstances. Currently a new member of this class, doramectin is being tested.

That being said the number of dogs who have become infected while on prevention remains low relative to the number of dogs on prevention. This is certainly not comforting to anyone whose dog has become infected, but for the rest of us (including me) there is no compelling reason to change heartwormn preventatives at this time. Indeed I have heard of no breaks in my practice area although our mosquito populations are low relative to the aforementioned states.

I have researched extensively (VIN, FDA Veterinary Medicine, & the American Heartworm Society), so far there are no studies completed with any concrete conclusions. I have heard it speculated that the problem in Ms, La, Tn, and Ar is due to overwhelming mosquito populations hence overwhelming exposure to microfilaria.

The development of resistance by a parasite requires a change in the DNA, this is more likely to occur in parasites with a very short life cycle (fleas) than those with a very long life cycle (heartworms).

A highly respected parasitologist at Auburn University, Dr. Blagburn, has been working on the survivability of microfilaria from dogs who have developed heartworm disease while on prevention. So far I believe that those microfilaria are killed effectively by standard concentrations of ivermectin thereby somewhat dismissing the theory of "resistance".

The types of scientific studies required to sort out such problems often take years. I feel for those like Tammy Bell who have done everything correctly but have not protected their dogs. There currently are no answers and the problem still seems to be very regional.

Recently a rickettsia (Wolbachia) has been identified which infected nematodes (worms) including Dirofilaria Immitis and contributes to the well being and survivability of the worms. In my practice we have started pretreating dogs with adult heartworms with Doxycycline prior to Immiticide with the thought that we might get an improved kill of adult D. Immitis.

Perhaps incorporating low dose tetracycline (3 mg/kg/day) on a daily basis as we have previously done for ehrlichia prevention may become a part of the regimen of heartworm prevention in dogs. Additionally if I lived in an indemic area I would employ mosquito control with traps, repellants, and screening from twilight until dawn.

#10 ·
Perhaps incorporating low dose tetracycline (3 mg/lb/day) on a daily basis as we have previously done for ehrlichia prevention may become a part of the regimen of heartworm prevention in dogs.
Dr Ed, how long have some of these dogs been on this dosage of Doxy? Is it just being done for Ehrlichia or any other TBD?

#11 ·
Low dose daily tetracycline therapy (3 mg/kg/day) has been advocated as an ehrlichia preventative in indemic areas, whether or not it is effective for other TBD is unclear. The daily preventative dose for doxycycline is 1-2 mg/kg/day, therefore a 125 mg tetracycline capsule or a 50 mg doxycycline capsule daily for an average sized Labrador throughout the tick season effectively prevents ehrlichia infections. Tetracycline is cheaper than doxycycline and apparently just as effective.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response EdA, I have four labs on Interceptor (year round) and am located in SC. I buy preventative from vet and have him test twice annually. I have looked at online prescriptions suppliers for the Interceptor or thought about using ivermectin from the feed store, because of the cost savings. Mentioned both to my local vet who didn't really address the online avenue, but didn't like the ivermec idea and brought up liver damage in a personal boxer. Not trying to cut too many corners, but it would be nice to save some money if it were safely possible. I'm certainly interested in knowledgeable views on the subject.

#14 ·
. I have looked at online prescriptions suppliers for the Interceptor or thought about using ivermectin from the feed store, because of the cost savings. .
Your veterinarian maintains a drug inventory at a much higher cost than the online prescription outlets which need to only have a computer and a warehouse. I periodically check the prices versus what we charge and the price differential is often not that significant. Some clients order prescriptions online for convenience and for those we provide mailing service. Since you are a good and loyal client who has dogs tested twice a year why not ask your veterinarian if he/she will match the online price for your 4 dogs?

#17 · (Edited)
here it is by a vet...really good article...
THE PET PHARMACY
By Wendy C. Brooks, DVM, DipABVP
Educational Director, VeterinaryPartner.com
Ivermectin (Ivomec, Heartgard 30, Acarexx, Iverheart Plus)
(for veterinary information only)
Brand Names: Ivomec, Heartgard, Iverhart Plus, Tri-Heart Plus & Acarexx
Available in tablets and chewables for heartworm prevention, topical solution for ear mite treatment, or as oral or injectable solution for other parasite problems

How this Medication is Used
In the mid-1980s, ivermectin was introduced as probably the most broad-spectrum anti-parasite medication ever. It is effective against most common intestinal worms (except tapeworms), most mites, and some lice. It is not effective against fleas, ticks, flies, or flukes. It is effective against larval heartworms (the microfilariae that circulate in the blood) but not against adult heartworms that live in the heart and pulmonary arteries, although technically it can shorten their lifespan.
The most common uses in small animal practice for ivermectin would include:
• Monthly prevention of heartworm infection

• Treatment of ear mite situations

• Clearing heartworm larvae in active heartworm infection

• Treatment of sarcoptic, notoedric or demodectic mange
It should be noted that doses of ivermectin used for prevention and treatment of heartworm disease are approximately 50 times lower than doses used for other parasites, a fact that has allowed for FDA approval of ivermectin products for the prevention of heartworm but not necessarily for other small animal anti-parasite uses. (Acarexx® for ear mite treatment is FDA approved and assorted heartworm preventives are FDA approved, but other small animal uses of ivermectin are off label.)
Side Effects
Side effects are not a concern with the extremely low doses used in commercially marketed heartworm preventives.
Problems may arise when higher doses, such as those used against skin mites, are employed but even then, side effects generally do not occur with any anti-mange doses of ivermectin except in animals with genetic sensitivity. Such individuals are usually Collies, Shetland sheepdogs, Australian shepherds, and Old English sheepdogs, although some individual animals that are not members of these sensitive breeds may also be prone to side effects. Very low test doses are often recommended to identify these individuals regardless of their breed. Alternatively, a blood test is available to test for genetic sensitivity (see below).
Collies with ivermectin sensitivity have been found to have a mutant gene for what is called the P-glycoprotein. The P-glycoprotein has been studied largely because overexpression of this protein (i.e. having more of it than normal) results in poor function of chemotherapy drugs during cancer treatment. The P-glycoprotein appears to be involved in keeping drugs out of certain body tissues. Having excess P-glycoprotein keeps chemotherapy drugs from reaching the tumor. When it comes to ivermectin sensitivity, the problem is the opposite: mutant or non-functional P-glycoprotein leads to failure to keep certain drugs out of the central nervous system, allowing them access to sensitive tissue. Side effects stem from ivermectin entering the central nervous system.
Approximately 35% of Collies have a genetic mutation creating a non-functional P-glycoprotein. This allows for ivermectin doses that would normally be blocked from the central nervous system to gain access to it. Other herding breeds as listed above also tend to express this mutation. There is now a test for P-glycoprotein mutation so that ivermectin-sensitive dogs can be identified. This is a DNA test using an oral swab. Test kits can be ordered directly from the Washington State University Veterinary School.
Heartworm preventive doses are so low that side effects are not produced even in ivermectin sensitive individuals.
Side effects of concern are: dilated pupils and drunken gait that can progress to respiratory paralysis and death if medication is not withdrawn and supportive care is not initiated.
Interactions with Other Drugs
Ivermectin should not be used in combination with valiumor related tranquilizers (the infinitesimal doses used in the heartworm preventives excepted). It should not be used in conjunction with Amitraz (Mitaban©) dips nor with Amitraz tick prevention collars (Preventic© collars). These medications are all members of the monoamine oxidase inhibitor group and when they used together their effects add together creating sedation and adverse neurologic effects.
Ivermectin should also not be used in conjunction with spinosad (Comfortis)as the potential for ivermectin side effects will be increased. Again, the very small doses of ivermectin used in heartworm prevention are not included in this cautionary statement; this only applies to the high dose protocols used to treat skin parasites.
Concerns and Cautions
Ivermectin use in pregnancy and lactation is not felt to be a problem.
Ivermectin has an extremely bitter taste. Some animals may object.
Again, the breeds considered at high risk for ivermectin toxicity are collies, Shetland sheepdogs, Australian shepherds, and Old English sheepdogs. Not every individual dog from these breeds is sensitive to ivermectin. It is possible to test an individual using a low dose of ivermectin. These breeds are not at risk for trouble when using the low dose heartworm preventive products; only when using the off-label skin parasite protocols.
Topical ivermectin for ears (Acarexx®) is FDA approved for cats and kittens over 4 weeks of age.
WHILE WE RECOGNIZE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO BUY
LARGE ANIMAL FORMULATIONS OF IVERMECTIN (SUCH AS IVOMEC®)
THROUGH CATALOGS, WE STRONGLY DISCOURAGE THIS PRACTICE
BECAUSE OF THE POTENTIAL TO EASILY GIVE A TOXIC DOSE
IF THE PRODUCT IS INCORRECTLY USED.

LARGE ANIMAL FORMULATIONS ARE MUCH MORE CONCENTRATED
AND IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO MEASURE A DOSE APPROPRIATELY
FOR A SMALL ANIMAL ESPECIALLY IF ONE IS ATTEMPTING
TO MEASURE A DOSE APPROPRIATE FOR HEARTWORM PREVENTION.
THERE IS TREMENDOUS POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS
IF IVERMECTIN IS INAPPROPRIATELY DOSED.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.