The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu, Global Warming and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    ...Sensationalism sells. But I am not even sure that is done intentionally. I think the press picks up on a story and most of them are not smart enough to know how to understand the data they have found.
    Corey,

I believe it is intentional. Television, as with almost everything else in our country, is driven by revenue stream. To generate revenue you have to have people watch your station. How do they do that? Make the stories they are going to run as sensationable as possible. That is what drives all media outlets. Truth is OK as long as it doesn't get in the way of the story.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Tom I don;t dsiagree to a point. Yes they go the extra mile, but I believe that in PART it is becasue they are far from experts and do not fully understand what they are talking about. I agree they sell it and don;t care, but at least part of it is that they just don;t know what they are reporting on. How can the same bunch of reporters know about every topic they cover from bears roaming a local parking lot to swine flu????
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post

Is man-caused global warming equally a manufactured problem by media reporting?
    Of course it is!

The "Green " lobby is now the most influential in DC. It has become big business and with Al Gore leading the charge, there should be some transparency as to who in the Congress, Senate and Whitehouse, including staffers, department heads etc owns stock in Al's company. How can they not make billions with the Fed Government backing them?
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

I have had a cold/flu for about 4 days and went to the local walk-in clinic. One strange thing they asked me was if I eat in a lot of Mexican restraunts....really that was a question.

I laughed about it when I talked on the phone to my daughter in Atlanta. They asked her the same thing last week when she went to the doc for the flu.

One good thing did happen though: A nice big bottle of Hydrocodone!
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Well, that should put you 'round' the campfire with Rush.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    I have had a cold/flu for about 4 days and went to the local walk-in clinic. One strange thing they asked me was if I eat in a lot of Mexican restraunts....really that was a question.

I laughed about it when I talked on the phone to my daughter in Atlanta. They asked her the same thing last week when she went to the doc for the flu.

Dang Tom I like your doctor, giving percocet for the flu...got a name an number, I had mexican last night
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

A few of us, none with scientific backgrounds, were discussing swine flu and bird flu and SARs and West Nile and wondering how these 'non events' came to become such sensational media darlings. Does some reporter in Podunk, N.C. read one of the endless stream of press releases from research organizations seeking PR and grant money and decide, "Wow, people need to know about this!" then it gets picked up by the nearest big city or AP and all of a sudden all the network talking heads are tsking on all the TV stations, the internet is stoking the rumor mill, and you have a major event.

I mean, at any given time you could probably find 3 or 4 hundred cases of a certain strain of flu scattered across the country or even concentrated in a certain region like the Mid Atlantic (a good one, because it contains D.C.). You could just give this flu some sexy name people have never heard of and voila, we have an epidemic. Then the hypochondriacs with the sniffles would start flooding the emergency rooms and doc in a box shops and all of a sudden we have a pandemic. Think about how easy it would be to do.

With all this swine flu talk and serious-faced talking heads and special stories, not once have I heard anything about what type of flu this really is. The garden variety aches and pains, nausea and vomiting, congestion, or...? How sick are these 300 folks that have those 'confirmed' cases of swine flu? And what, exactly, is 'confirmed'? The presense of those little gray amoeba-looking things they keep showing that tired old photograph of?

I'm calling BS. It's a plant to scare people into accepting Obongo's socialized medicine without putting up a fight. Or its big Pharma getting ready to roll out a new golden pill that they can bilk the government for $1700 a month scripts, double that when we get our socialized health care. Or it's some kids with a giant version of an internet prank gone wild. I'm not exactly the conspiracy theory type but I just don't think we're all hearing the real story about this swine flu gig. 300 cases and two deaths, hmmmm. One death was a baby Mexican here illegally and the other was a woman who died in childbirth that just happened to have the flu, also.

Excuse me I have to go take my 3 dogs to the vet. They all puked last night and there's no way all 3 puking could be a coincidence. They must have the canine version of the swine flu.

I keep thinking about last weekend and chuckling that my nieces birthday party every time someone coughed or sneezed we said swine flu. I am afraid the health scares are getting lame people are looking at it with humor. I hope it does not turn out like the folks that laughed at katrina.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Banned

Steve Amrein said:

I keep thinking about last weekend and chuckling that my nieces birthday party every time someone coughed or sneezed we said swine flu. I am afraid the health scares are getting lame people are looking at it with humor. I hope it does not turn out like the folks that laughed at katrina.
    Funny how people laugh when they're nervous. I hope your 'hope' is correct, because 'Hope is not a plan!'

Quote Originally Posted by Snicklefritz View Post
    Steve Amrein said:

Funny how people laugh when they're nervous. I hope your 'hope' is correct, because 'Hope is not a plan!'
    Come on Snick, are you still trying to figure out how many people it is going to kill?
    The sky is still above us regards
    Corey Burke