The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay to leave my dog in the truck?

Default Is it okay to leave my dog in the truck?

Right now, immediately after work I head home to pick up my dog, then we head back out towards my work to walk the trails there.

My question is, if I took my lunch later in the afternoon. Would it be okay to leave my dog in her crate in the vehicle from 3 until 5. It would save me gas and time. It's zero degrees celsius outside, so she isn't going to over heat, and she's used to being in her crate at home, what's the difference in a vehicle?

I have an old 4 runner, and I have the back seats folded down. I just bought a divider to keep her from jumping up to the front and from kissing my passengers... some weird people don't like being malled by puppy tongue hehe. The only time that I've ever travelled with her in a crate, in the vehicle, was when she was 3 months old, and she didn't like it. She would bark and cry the whole way, but as soon as I taught her car manner she loved riding in the vehicle without her crate. If I keep her in her crate, in the back, should I also get her used to driving like that? Should I go through crate training all over again? Tolerate, and ignore the barking... don't give in for anything!!

What are you thoughts on this, and how do you transport your dogs?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    My question is, if I took my lunch later in the afternoon. Would it be okay to leave my dog in her crate in the vehicle from 3 until 5. It would save me gas and time. It's zero degrees celsius outside, so she isn't going to over heat, and she's used to being in her crate at home, what's the difference in a vehicle?

The only time that I've ever travelled with her in a crate, in the vehicle, was when she was 3 months old, and she didn't like it. She would bark and cry the whole way, but as soon as I taught her car manner she loved riding in the vehicle without her crate. If I keep her in her crate, in the back, should I also get her used to driving like that?
    What are you thoughts on this, and how do you transport your dogs?
    1) Are you saying you would go home on your (late) lunch break to pick up the dog, then leave in the car from 3-5 only? That doesn't sound like it would save gas unless you go home for lunch normally anyway, but yes, I think that would be fine as long as you watch the temperatures.

2) My first dog wasn't crate trained and when I introduced it he hated it. When he began to associate the crate with not getting left at home, riding in the car and getting to train or hunt he started to love the sight of that crate getting loaded into the back of my old Jeep. I think a crate is the safest way to transport a dog (outside of a dog topper or dog trailer) and I definitely wouldn't leave the dog alone in the vehicle for extended periods of time outside of a crate. If the dog is going to be crated in the vehicle when you get to work, you might as well crate the dog while in transit.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Yeah I would normally go home for lunch anyways, so this would save on gas, but more importantly time. Traffic right at 5:00 is ridiculous.

If the back of the 4runner is closed off with the divider and there is nothing in the back, what are some of the hazards of her being left there for a few hours or just having her hang there while I'm driving?

Also how would tie down a crate? I'll have a look to see if there is anything that I can tie it to, but any suggestions?
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

If the back of the 4runner is closed off with the divider and there is nothing in the back, what are some of the hazards of her being left there for a few hours or just having her hang there while I'm driving?

Also how would tie down a crate? I'll have a look to see if there is anything that I can tie it to, but any suggestions?
    I would be concerned about her damaging the inside of my vehicle out of boredom.

When I had my old Jeep Cherokee there was just enough room behind the back seat to put the crate in, have him jump in and then turn the crate sideways so I could close the hatch. I never bothered to tie it down because I didn't think it could go anywhere. I have a camper top on my truck so I don't always tie it down if it is wedged in there with a lot of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Never transport a dog without them being in a crate or something they are secured in. Put a crate in the back of it, keep the windows open and park in the shade. Make sure you watch the temps because they climb pretty quickly into the danger zone.

the dog would be fine in a crate for 2 hours.

How hot does it get in the summer in Yellowknife????
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Well it's still cold right now.

0 degrees celsius now, but the next month or so it'll get to +15 tops! The good thing about having Quest in the vehicle is that I can easily go out and take her out. If I was able to keep her in there all day I wouldn't have to go home and I could take her out to the lake for lunch, but I some how feel that all day in the vehicle might be much. If the circumstances change, is there a maximum time that she should be in the vehicle? Would it be just like her crate? I never leave her for more than 4 hours. Of course if the weather permits.

How hot it to hot? and also how would I keep water in her crate?.... She's just spill it, maybe I could get one of those hamster water things
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

Yeah I would normally go home for lunch anyways, so this would save on gas, but more importantly time. Traffic right at 5:00 is ridiculous.
    Sorry, maybe I'm missing something? "Traffic right at 5:00 is ridiculous." In Yellowknife??

Quote Originally Posted by Lee N View Post
    Sorry, maybe I'm missing something? "Traffic right at 5:00 is ridiculous." In Yellowknife??

Ya Ya .... I know .... I don't even know what a real traffic jam is ;D

I'll just say it takes about 10 to 15 minutes longer to get home than it would if there was no traffic. Which is probably nothing for you city folks ;P
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

Lee N .... you took the words right out of my mouth .... traffic in Yellowknife????