RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Is it okay to leave my dog in the truck?

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Sue Kiefer 
#1 ·
Right now, immediately after work I head home to pick up my dog, then we head back out towards my work to walk the trails there.

My question is, if I took my lunch later in the afternoon. Would it be okay to leave my dog in her crate in the vehicle from 3 until 5. It would save me gas and time. It's zero degrees celsius outside, so she isn't going to over heat, and she's used to being in her crate at home, what's the difference in a vehicle?

I have an old 4 runner, and I have the back seats folded down. I just bought a divider to keep her from jumping up to the front and from kissing my passengers... some weird people don't like being malled by puppy tongue hehe. The only time that I've ever travelled with her in a crate, in the vehicle, was when she was 3 months old, and she didn't like it. She would bark and cry the whole way, but as soon as I taught her car manner she loved riding in the vehicle without her crate. If I keep her in her crate, in the back, should I also get her used to driving like that? Should I go through crate training all over again? Tolerate, and ignore the barking... don't give in for anything!!

What are you thoughts on this, and how do you transport your dogs?

See less See more
#2 ·
My question is, if I took my lunch later in the afternoon. Would it be okay to leave my dog in her crate in the vehicle from 3 until 5. It would save me gas and time. It's zero degrees celsius outside, so she isn't going to over heat, and she's used to being in her crate at home, what's the difference in a vehicle?

The only time that I've ever travelled with her in a crate, in the vehicle, was when she was 3 months old, and she didn't like it. She would bark and cry the whole way, but as soon as I taught her car manner she loved riding in the vehicle without her crate. If I keep her in her crate, in the back, should I also get her used to driving like that?
What are you thoughts on this, and how do you transport your dogs?
1) Are you saying you would go home on your (late) lunch break to pick up the dog, then leave in the car from 3-5 only? That doesn't sound like it would save gas unless you go home for lunch normally anyway, but yes, I think that would be fine as long as you watch the temperatures.

2) My first dog wasn't crate trained and when I introduced it he hated it. When he began to associate the crate with not getting left at home, riding in the car and getting to train or hunt he started to love the sight of that crate getting loaded into the back of my old Jeep. I think a crate is the safest way to transport a dog (outside of a dog topper or dog trailer) and I definitely wouldn't leave the dog alone in the vehicle for extended periods of time outside of a crate. If the dog is going to be crated in the vehicle when you get to work, you might as well crate the dog while in transit.

#3 ·
Yeah I would normally go home for lunch anyways, so this would save on gas, but more importantly time. Traffic right at 5:00 is ridiculous.

If the back of the 4runner is closed off with the divider and there is nothing in the back, what are some of the hazards of her being left there for a few hours or just having her hang there while I'm driving?

Also how would tie down a crate? I'll have a look to see if there is anything that I can tie it to, but any suggestions?

#4 ·
If the back of the 4runner is closed off with the divider and there is nothing in the back, what are some of the hazards of her being left there for a few hours or just having her hang there while I'm driving?

Also how would tie down a crate? I'll have a look to see if there is anything that I can tie it to, but any suggestions?
I would be concerned about her damaging the inside of my vehicle out of boredom.

When I had my old Jeep Cherokee there was just enough room behind the back seat to put the crate in, have him jump in and then turn the crate sideways so I could close the hatch. I never bothered to tie it down because I didn't think it could go anywhere. I have a camper top on my truck so I don't always tie it down if it is wedged in there with a lot of other stuff.

#5 ·
Never transport a dog without them being in a crate or something they are secured in. Put a crate in the back of it, keep the windows open and park in the shade. Make sure you watch the temps because they climb pretty quickly into the danger zone.

#7 ·
Well it's still cold right now.

0 degrees celsius now, but the next month or so it'll get to +15 tops! The good thing about having Quest in the vehicle is that I can easily go out and take her out. If I was able to keep her in there all day I wouldn't have to go home and I could take her out to the lake for lunch, but I some how feel that all day in the vehicle might be much. If the circumstances change, is there a maximum time that she should be in the vehicle? Would it be just like her crate? I never leave her for more than 4 hours. Of course if the weather permits.

How hot it to hot? and also how would I keep water in her crate?.... She's just spill it, maybe I could get one of those hamster water things

#10 ·
Lee N .... you took the words right out of my mouth .... traffic in Yellowknife????

:)

#11 · (Edited)
1) Hot is 95 degrees dont think that would be a problem up there.
2) most of us cage our dogs over night for like 10 hours with no water so thats not an issue either!!!
3) 10-15 extra minutes at 5:00 PM what does the speed limit get lower after 5:00 PM:lol::lol:

If you dont have bad heat. Get a good dog box (your going to need one sometime!!!!!) and take the dog to work with you and get some work done at lunch. Theres lots of people that do this. You might want to think about a spot in the shade somewhere since you said the dog would be in the back of a 4 runner and leave the windows cracked but other than that you'll be fine!!

#12 ·
Can I leave her e-collar on her when she's in her crate? I don't usually, but if she's in and out, and I'm trying to force her to 'kennel' with the e-collar wouldn't it be better to leave it on her instead of struggle to get it on and off?

#16 ·
sucks that I just bought a hunk of junk 4 runner for me and Quest to go galavanting in, but now she's gonna be crated in.... What ever is safest for.

Not to mention the back window in my truck drops down if I hit a bump. Open back window is asking for trouble. I can't even imagine stopping suddenly and her flying out. It only takes one time ;x

#20 ·
Not to mention the back window in my truck drops down if I hit a bump. Open back window is asking for trouble. I can't even imagine stopping suddenly and her flying out. It only takes one time ;x
Uhmmm.... well, the back window dropping down is an issue.... but.....

If you stop suddenly, your pup is going to fly forward.. not backward..

Physics regards....

#17 ·
Do you think that maybe, since we're just casually driving about with hardly any traffic, since I am in small little Yellowknife, that she would be okay in the back without a crate? Where she can stick her head out the window. Otherwise she'll never be able to enjoy that kinda thing.

I dunno....

#18 ·
No, not since you said the back window falls down sometimes. You don't want her seeing something interesting and jumping out the window. It has happened.

#19 ·
Since it only gets up to 59 F I really cannot see a problem with 2 hours in a crate in your truck. I often take trips and train for longer times than 2 hours and it is a lot hotter down here. Hell if it only got up to 60 here my dogs would never leave the truck. Make sure she is well hydrated and let her out to pee right before you go back into the office. No problems

#22 ·
I've had days where I've left my dog in the back of my pick up (04 tundra) with a cap from 7am - 12pm in a crate and have never had any problems. However, I do have the option of taking out the glass in the front of the cap so it's very well ventilated inside. I also check the weather to make sure that it's not that hot and I usually check up on him every now and then to see if he's fine. I also have some old radiator fans that i've hooked up to spare batteries to help with the cooling and was thinking of getting one of the timers so it'll kick on by itself in set intervals. He actually gets taken out more if i take him to work with me rather than leave him at home.

#23 ·
On another note, instead of what's to hot, what temperatures are to cold to leave your dog in a crate, in the truck?

It'll be -12 degrees celsius (10.4 F) this afternoon.

He actually gets taken out more if i take him to work with me rather than leave him at home.
I'm in the same boat. I love being able to go hang out with her on my breaks.

#25 ·
Yrs. ago .................Longgggggggggggg time agoooooooooooo
I had a Chevy Manza (2dr.with a hutchback). I also bought for a doggy car. I left my Golden in while at work(was checking on breaks etc.....)In one day of being board, she chewed both seatbelts, and torn up the passinger seat:-x
My next car ,I bought a crate.:D
Paul I need a picture for this don't I??;-)
Sue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.