The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon Man -- Salem Police Shock Collar Statement

Default Oregon Man -- Salem Police Shock Collar Statement

Read the Police Statement about shock collars at the end of the article...

Police: Man admits he used dog shock collars on his kids for fun

Tools

Close

Story Published: May 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM PDT
    Story Updated: May 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM PDT

By KATU.com Staff

Video
    SALEM, Ore. - A Salem man accused of using a dog shock collar on his four children is facing criminal mistreatment charges.
    Todd Marcum, 41, was arrested Tuesday and his children (ages 9, 8, 6 and 3) are now in the custody of their mother. The case has also been referred to the Department of Human Services.
    Investigators say Marcum put an electronic dog collar on his four children. Police said he admitted to shocking all of them at least once because he thought it was funny. He said he also got entertainment out of chasing his 3-year-old son around with the collar and making him cry at the thought of being shocked.
    Marcum is being held at the Marion County jail on four counts of criminal mistreatment in the first-degree.
    Neighbors who lived near the children's home expressed shock at news of the allegations against Marcum.
    Folowing the arrest, police issued the following statement:
    Although it should not be necessary, the Salem Police Department would like to remind people that shock collars and devices are not toys and should not be played with. These devices are designed to control disruptive or aggressive behavior and are not intended for amusement.

Hmmm...I don't think they quite understand them. At least they didn't say they were cruel.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Play WA View Post
    Hmmm...I don't think they quite understand them. At least they didn't say they were cruel.

Yeah, I know you secretly want to strap one on a few of the kids in your classes.....

wish I would have thought of that one when babysitting the curtain climbers! down-nic-down! eat-nic-eat! quiet-nic-quiet!

break something----burn!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR KAIE View Post
    Yeah, I know you secretly want to strap one on a few of the kids in your classes.....

wish I would have thought of that one when babysitting the curtain climbers! down-nic-down! eat-nic-eat! quiet-nic-quiet!

break something----burn!!!!!!
    Now that is one way to train them kids! lol
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I think I may have said that a time or two. I had a couple of other teachers say the same thing. The only problem I would have is too many controllers to keep track of.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Play WA View Post
    I think I may have said that a time or two. I had a couple of other teachers say the same thing. The only problem I would have is too many controllers to keep track of.
    just upgrade your collar! you'd probably lose an extra controller on the playground anyways being how ya keep it in your shirt pocket!

He didn't use proper CC first that was the problem.

Being serious though that guy has issues.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Quote Originally Posted by CBR KAIE View Post
    just upgrade your collar! you'd probably lose an extra controller on the playground anyways being how ya keep it in your shirt pocket!
    Hey now, I don't put the controller in my shirt pocket (I don't wear shirts with pockets). And we don't have a playground (although you'd think we should the way high schoolers act.) When I pack the controller it's either in my hand or in my back pocket which is plenty tight. Now, I COULD lose it on my desk. I have been known to do that.
    Joni

I have long said they are only to be used on kids less than 4 years old. After that the kids can get you in trouble. If you start them around 18 months and use the collar correctly the only form of discipline you will ever need is to let the kids see you sliding you hand in your pocket and they will straighten up and never even really know why they are doing it.
    Fool tried to use it on kids that were too old for it. I also am a firm believer in cattle prods for teens, kind of like revisiting force fetch

Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I have long said they are only to be used on kids less than 4 years old. After that the kids can get you in trouble. If you start them around 18 months and use the collar correctly the only form of discipline you will ever need is to let the kids see you sliding you hand in your pocket and they will straighten up and never even really know why they are doing it.
    Fool tried to use it on kids that were too old for it. I also am a firm believer in cattle prods for teens, kind of like revisiting force fetch

Yeah, I just remember the ropers up the street....no variable levels, no nic....just the white stick. The yellow one wasn't too bad but, the white one....ohh man---talk about staying away from the chutes when old man Eggleson was walking by.....get caught looking the wrong direction and get it in the scooter....take off running and you got 6 cowboys trying to see who could heal you the fastest.......Proud to help with the training at 8 years old......