The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins

Default And so it begins

After realizing I can not budget a pro trainer I have come to the conclusion that I need to suck it up and begin the education myself. Not to be a whiner but I had some concern over FF and my ability to be tough enough during training. After receiving some wise advice from fellow club members I am ready to take the plunge.

Danny Farmer's " Basics" has just been ordered. Should have it by mid next week and then the fun shall begin.

I am hoping some of the insight I have gained while reading about others experiences will help me on my journey.

I am giving a blanket apology for any dumb questions that may be posted and any needless venting that may occur

I just recieved the same video on monday and I watch it everyday. I have a new pup coming soon and I am trying to get a headstart on learning. From what I have seen so far, it is very informative.

Grant
    "If you didn't help buy this beer, you can't help drink this beer"

I'm going the anti-pro way with my pup.

not for finances, but simply because I want to be able to stand back one day and say "I did that."

I know the odds are against me, when I go to a test or trial, and I have my dog and my training books to read at the hotel...

and I'm surrounded by 8 and 10 dog trailers pulled around by the people who wrote the books I am trying to decipher.

but you know what.....

I feel a heck of a lot prouder than the guy standing in the gallery watching somebody else run his dog......

good luck!!!!!

The saitisfaction of training myself is an upside. I sure would be nice to put a JH on him myself

I derive a great deal of pride and personal satisfaction from training. It is a hell of a lot of fun. You get to spend tons of time with your dogs. The reason I own labradors is that I enjoy having them with me.

Welcome to the adventure!!!! The ride isn't always smooth but you will enjoy the trip.
    Mark L.

I go TO a pro. He gives me instruction and I take my dog home and practice/train for the week then we go back and on it goes. I too was so afraid that I wasn't going to be able to handle FF but, it appears we survived. I give a lot of credit to those of you who are training based on books and videos. I'm not so sure I would be able to do that. I hope to someday thank my pro for giving me the skills necessary to train my dog to .... level but I'm with those of you who will enjoy the thrill of standing at the line with my dog and could never stand in the gallery and watch someone else do it with her.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmonster View Post
    I'm going the anti-pro way with my pup....not for finances, but simply because I want to be able to stand back one day and say "I did that."
    Careful...it works both ways.
    Stephen

There is no shame in not using a pro especially if its the pragmatic way to go..You will make mistakes, but you will also be teaching yourself the same time you are teaching your dog and when you hang that first title on them its that much sweeter....Heres a saving idea, take the money you might have spent on a pro each month and pay yourself in an account, after you title your dog look at that money and go out and enjoy it or buy yourself another dog...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Way to go, Nicole! Good for you.
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

Konas a good dog I'm sure you'll do fine with him you know you can always call me if you need help and I'll be glad to help you if I can.
    Scott