The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Poor sitting

Default Poor sitting

I'm having trouble with one of the pups. When she sits a heel she splawls her back legs out almost flat. Look at the middle dog in my avatar. How do you correct this behavior I'm at wits end? If I walk her to the line and she see's activity before her run she doesn't do it as bad, it's only during training.

I have a puppy who will do a lazy sit during obedience ,and stick out his back paw. Once his hip prelims came back "good", and we got through our first CD leg, I started calling him front through two baby gates on the lowest/shortest setting, using a clicker. When he had to sit between the gates, he sat square. It helped alot. Plumber's tape works too. Also calling front, and then taking a quick step back and calling front again, helps bc it keeps them ready to move. Unlike when he was a puppy, he only gets acknowledged now for precise sits. The problem has nearly disappeared.
    Jill,Tango,Finn,and Tally
    Topbrass Everlore Talk Of The Town CGC
    Sand Dancer's Infinite Sky CGC
    Goldiva's Tangled Up In Blue CD,CGC

Ripley's Starry, Starry Night

You can work on lazy sitting while working on heeling. When ever you stop walking, the dog should sit. Make them sit square and proper. If they flop over on their hip, tap that side with the heeling stick until they sit properly. The dog should eventually come to realize that a lazy sit will be corrected.

Lazy sits are basically bad habits. Start the habit of making them sit properly... each and every time.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

My dog was doing that too. Haven't noticed it since I started correcting it. I did what Jill said, made her come forward a bit and sit again. I also tapped her leg with my foot, gently stepped on the foot that stuck out to get her to pull it back in, etc.

She doesn't flop on one or the other hip.Both back legs are to the outside as if she was laying her belly flat on the ground.

my dog does that too.

I'm working on it by stepping on her toes when she sits at heel. It seems to make her want to tuck them in. Good luck, I know I'll need it too.

IT could be a growing phase for her....she is not lazy sitting, but pushing her legs back, with her knees pressed away from her body, it looks like...For some reason it is more comfortable for her to sit that way.

Have you had her hips xrayed?

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

That is soooo awesome the way she sits! I don't know if it's politically correct, but my blf sits that way. I think it's soo awesome I would never correct it.

I am no expert but from my experience, patience and consistency is the way to go. Every time she sits incorrectly, place your hand under her and left her into place. You may have to repeat and repeat before you get her to sit properly and hold that position. Praise her when she does it right. It is becoming a habit, just like humans slouch in a chair instead of sitting upright. It is becoming more comfortable for her to slouch than to sit with her haunches under her.

Make this extra step part of your OB work.
    Last edited by Georgia Smith; 05-08-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: remove format

i used a heeling stick to straighten my pup out-- then later I just stepped on the outset leg-not hard- he got the message quick--