The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Suspect detained over 'extremist' bumper sticker ?

Personally, I can't believe anyone is taking this story seriously. An unidentified person relates a story concerning a ridiculous traffic stop of her also unidentified brother in law because of a bumper sticker. The stop allegedly takes place in a 96% white town of 3700 people in central Louisiana. The closest thing to a "confirmation" is that the town secretary knew nothing about the stop. Is this news? Is there any reason to believe anything at all happened? I would wait for at least a little confirmation before getting upset. If it comes, I'm sure the ACLU would be more than happy to represent the harrassed driver in seeking redress.

For what it's worth, I once received a ticket for having an obstructed rear windshield because I had a small Princeton decal on the lower left side of my rear window (behind the driver's head where it could not be seen). Discrimination? No. I was actually driving 75 MPH in a 55 zone. The traffic cop didn't want to give me a moving violation and gave me a trumpted up ticket carrying no points and no insurance implications instead. I was happy to plead guilty and pay.

Fwiw, I'm not a LEO and can't claim to know what the procedure for a "contact stop/warning issuance" may be in that town/county; contact report, etc.
    I'd be willing to bet, though, that since the officer did not find anything in the car and there were apparently no "wants or warrants", it officially "didn't happen" and it'll be hard to prove/disprove a negative.
    But if he had..?!?

And while this "story" on it's own may/may not have happened, I think something like this is the exact intent of the release of the report/assessment.
    With enough "contacts", someone is going to come up dirty and go to jail, or more likely, be pressured into becoming an informant.
    At the very least, it will spook some of those sitting on the fence back into the silence of the lambs.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791