The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RANT: Charities and Charitable Donations (GDG)

Default RANT: Charities and Charitable Donations (GDG)

So we have a two-car garage packed to the rafters full of "stuff" we have collected over the years. My wife and I cannot come to any agreement how to deal with it. I want to hold a Garage Sale, she wants to put it on the curb on trash day. This disagreement has been going on for years. Finally we come to an agreement -- we will donate it to a charity that will turn around and sell it at their resale shop. And I will get the tax write-off.

So we start clearing it out. We get a good start -- enough to fill a 10' x 10' area eight feet tall. We put it under a pop-up canopy and call the Salvation Army.

Two days later two men pull up in a truck. They pick at the outsides, of the pile getting the lightweight stuff like the mountain bikes, making excuses about the heavy stuff, and leaving. We are very upset.

So we call St. Vincent DePaul's, they send out a truck. Two gentlemen get out and look at the pile, pick at the outsides getting some of the lightweight stuff like the boom box radio and some wall decorations, and leave. Now we are angry.

THESE ARE CLEARLY LAZY PEOPLE! Neither set even dug into the pile to see what was inside. The stuff they left behind -- a $1200 sewing machine in cabinet; a brand new basketball backboard, basket and net still in box; camping equipment and hiking equipment in excellent condition, a microwave oven, an electric rice cooker, a set of encyclopedias, a complete set of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries. And on and on.

This was NOT trash. This was NOT rubbish! This is worth real money, we just wanted to help the stupid charities!!

So we have complaints in to these two charities saying "Sorry, your loss!"

Tomorrow we are loading it up ourselves into two SUVs and taking it to a third charity.

(No comments about the ethnicities of these four gentlemen 'less I be accused of racism.)
    Last edited by AmiableLabs; 05-12-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Kevin I will take clothing to the clothing bins outside our local mall. You can also put small items (such as your books) in there. All other stuff Jim takes to the "re-use" shed at the transfer station. We just don't have the time to deal with it.
    I just commented to him the other day that we need to clean the storage shed out again.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Put up a sign that says "DO NOT TOUCH!!"

Watch how fast it disappears!!

just sayin'
    Stan b & Elvis

Kevin, please load up your items for the local women's shelter.
    They are always most appreciative of anything they recieve. Most shelters can be found on the internet with contact numbers, due to the nature of their business they will probably ask for you to deliver to another location other that the shelter.
    Don't let other people deter you from doing a Christian deed.

Best Regards
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by R Little View Post
    Kevin, please load up your items for the local women's shelter.
    They are always most appreciative of anything they recieve. Most shelters can be found on the internet with contact numbers, due to the nature of their business they will probably ask for you to deliver to another location other that the shelter.
    Don't let other people deter you from doing a Christian deed.

Best Regards

My comment was supposed to be funny, but I would like to echo your sentiment.

Your effort will benefit someone in need, whether they realize it or not.
    Stan b & Elvis

Thats too bad, one time we put a charcol grill on the curb with a free sign, and somebody came and stripped it of what they felt like and left a pile of grimy metal in our lawn.

You people crack me up getting angry because people don't want the crap you don't want either. The real reason you're angry is that they didn't haul it away for you. Deal with your own crap.

Banned

Tom does have a point!!!

Kevin,,, why don't you take your "stuff" to the organizations you wish to donate to????

That's what I do...

Don't have time for a garage sale, e-bay or craigslist....

Yes this country is going to hell in a hen basket.... Lazy basterdz....

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Watson View Post
    You people crack me up getting angry because people don't want the crap you don't want either. The real reason you're angry is that they didn't haul it away for you. Deal with your own crap.
    Ever take stuff to the Salvation Army or St Vincent's? I have plenty of times and usually what happens is that the guys running the drop off locations cherry pick the stuff they want then try to get you to take the rest of the stuff into the trailer. Then I guess they take it to their local fence and make a few bucks off the deal.
    They don't hire these guys for their work ethic ya know In fact I'm not sure why they hire them, I've always suspected that they don't even really work for these organizations they just show up at drop off points to steal stuff. If you want to donate to your favorite group your going to have to make sure it gets there.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Watson View Post
    That really isnt fair. We have three church run thrift stores in the local area and they all have a list of what they will and will not accept. No one wants anything bulky and they will only take a certain amount of clothing. Even the local dog shelter has a list (they have a yearly sale). We end up dividing the items between the three locals then hauling the rest to a shop across the river to Oregon. None of the shops pick up or help with the unloading.
    If you dont want someone to get your goat
    dont tell them where you tied it up.