The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mometamax for ears--anything better?

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Mometamax for ears--anything better?

My dogs occasionally get brown goop in their ears. I use Flush to get the goop out (works well), and my vet prescribed Mometamax drops. Is there something more effective than Mometamax to clear it up once and for all?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Try Zymox Otic
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Thanks Nancy! With or without Hydrocortisone?

What are you using to clean ears? Flush is good and I have ordered the Gentian Ear Treatment based on another RTF post on ear issues.
    Bob/Ann Heise

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

I've used the gentian violet solution the one time my dog had issues with great success. It does take 2 weeks of treatment to see a big effect.
    One of the best feelings in the world is watching your hunting buddy bring back a duck you shot with her tail wagging.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    Thanks Nancy! With or without Hydrocortisone?

What are you using to clean ears? Flush is good and I have ordered the Gentian Ear Treatment based on another RTF post on ear issues.
    Ann, Zymox specifically tells you not to use the gentian ear cleanser or any other ear cleanser with the Zymox. They have come out with their own ear cleanser now. It is because I think the Zymox works in a different way and the gentian ear cleanser prevents it's action. Pick either one or the other. Zymox worked the best when all else failed long term (except ketoconazole which would work only until I stopped). I always use the one with the hydrocortisone.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I've used Oti clens for the last 22 years and never had a problem my dogs swim daily. I also use it in my grooming business.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    I've used Oti clens for the last 22 years and never had a problem my dogs swim daily. I also use it in my grooming business.
    This stuff works great. The kennel/groomer I worked at used this.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I've used Oti Cleanse, but didn't feel it worked well on brown yeast type ear issues.

Won't mix Zymox with Gentian--good point. Ketocozanole pills for yeast--have used them for dog with bad skin, but would rather do something else as I also felt the pills only worked while she was on them as you noted.
    Bob/Ann Heise

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    My dogs occasionally get brown goop in their ears. I use Flush to get the goop out (works well), and my vet prescribed Mometamax drops. Is there something more effective than Mometamax to clear it up once and for all?
    Just curious, what kind of food do you feed your dog? Mine had ear problems for years and my vet always prescribed Mometamax. And it worked pretty good. But I decided to give her diet a change by eliminating corn from her kibble. Went with a lamb and rice formula. And she has not had ear problems in over 2 years. Maybe just a fluke. But I'm sticking with what's working.

Bob,

I agree with changing your dogs diet to a food with no Wheat, Ccorn, Soy, glutens etc.

Plenty of foods that are multi meat protein with out feeding lamb/rice foods.

Also several food supplements to choose from that help too and can boost working performance with out feeding 30/20 food.

E-mail me directly if you would like more info. It really does work, for the last 15 + years for me.

thedogtrainer@yahoo.com
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!