The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: HSUS Donations on Ch2 in ATL

Default HSUS Donations on Ch2 in ATL

Gotta be glad when any media actually calls the HSUS out!

Link with video:
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19463509/detail.html

Follow-up

http://ar-hr.com/2009/05/20/wsb-tv-i...the-hsus-part/

WSB-TV’s HSUS Investigation Aftermath: It Isn’t Over
    By ESaunders AR-HR.com
    Welcome to the jungle … we’ve got fun & games. They claim they’re saving animals but politics pulls the reins. (Apologies to Guns n Roses, I got carried away for a moment)

Its amazing how this story just keeps on rolling, and its really the Humane Society of the United States that is driving it. A cone of silence continues to descend over the original WSB-TV story on HSUS fundraising practises that continues to support the rumor of the unleashing of the HSUS legal team on WSB-TV for their researched & fact-supported story.

As I previously mentioned, the original story been removed from the WSB-TV website. When I wrote to WSB-TV that I was saddened to see the story removed from their website, I received the following response. A response that has been sent out to others who wrote in to WSB-TV over their disappointment as seeing the story vanish from view.

“Thank you for writing to Talk2Us. We appreciate hearing that you were engaged by the report about HSUS. We put up and pull down stories as part of our daily editorial process. We are working on an additional story about HSUS. - WSB-TV”

Its an odd response. How often does a network pull a story after less than 24hrs where the viewing is accelerating and the comments are still being logged at a rapid pace. (mostly supporting the article I might add. I have copies of the comments, just in case this is contested) Furthermore, the Youtube copies of the WSB-TV video have all been taken down by WSB-TV request through a copyright claim. Funny thing though, at last my count there were 254 Youtube video links that were WSB-TV video. Yet the video that they have taken down is the one with the HSUS investigation? Considering the current evidence, I fear a much less accurate follow up. I hope to be wrong.

David Martosko of the Center of Consumer Freedom has not been immune from the attacks either. Alot of people on Twitter were surprised to find that his accounts had been suspended for “Suspicious Activity”, allegedly at the behest of the HSUS. Given that (a) his Twitter activity does not appear to violate Twitter terms of service and (b) the Humane Society Twitter users have the ability to block his messages if they don’t want to see them, it is difficult to interpret this as anything but a message that the HSUS doesn’t want anyone one Twitter to be able to see his messages.

I’ve been noticing a significant amount of activity on this website as well, with a minimum of 15 visits from the Humane Society of the United States server this morning already. They are spending a lot of time on the two most previous blog articles as well as on the About AR-HR page. I’ve publicly asked (via Twitter) if there is something in particular that they are looking for, but have not yet received a response

The usual recommendation to corporations facing this kind of media is to ignore it, since attempting to make it go away usually makes the process worse. I’m becoming increasingly curious why they are actively choosing to forego this normal, and wise, course of action. Why is fighting to make it seem like this report never happened SO important to them up to the very highest levels?

Copyright 2009 by Erica Saunders http://AR-HR.com
    All rights reserved

Continued follow-up from Consumer Freedom-

(this link to the wsb-tv video in this post has already vanished, but here's another that may work http://tinyurl.com/HSUS-YouSend
    it takes a while to download, and this one will probably be pulled soon. HSUS has been busy getting these taken down!)

From Consumer Freedom -

Attention dog lovers!

PLEASE CROSS-POST

The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom has learned that the office of Louisiana Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell is considering whether to re-open an investigation into the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). The investigation concerns whether HSUS improperly spent some of the $34 million it raised for the benefit of pets displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

Apparently, Caldwell's office received a deluge of phone calls beginning last week on the day after Atlanta ABC affiliate WSB-TV aired an exposé of HSUS's fundraising activities. In that report, WSB called HSUS "an organization actively misleading donors to get money." The TV station also explored just how little of HSUS's "Katrina" fundraising appears to have been spent on genuine Katrina-related disaster relief.

This was a fabulous piece of journalism on a subject many news outlets have been too intimidated or biased to cover. (WSB-TV is working on a follow-up story, but we'll all just have to wait patiently for that.)

An anonymous animal lover has made the video of the May 14 report available at http://is.gd/BQGu -- Note that there's no way to know if HSUS will be successful at continually censoring this video. (At least one previous version was pulled from YouTube this week after being viewed more than 50,000 times.)

Here's what you can do to help:

(1) CALL the Consumer Protection Section of the Louisiana Attorney General's Office during regular business hours. The toll-free number is 800-351-4889. If you live in Louisiana, please call the local number at 225-326-6465, or the general office number at 225-326-6200.

Tell whoever answers that you would like the Attorney General to re-open his investigation of the Humane Society of the United States. Remind him/her that there's no official accounting of how HSUS spent most of the $34 million it raised after Hurricane Katrina.

Before you hang up, ask to be transferred to Assistant Attorney General Mimi Hunley. If you get through to Ms. Hunley, please be polite and make the same request of her or her staff.

(2) Please follow-up with a polite e-mail to ConsumerInfo@ag.state.la.us, and let the A.G.'s office read your request in your own words. Drop me an e-mail at Martosko@ConsumerFreedom.com and let me know how everything went. (Or just "BCC" me on your follow-up e-mail)

(3) Share the video of WSB-TV's exposé with your friends, colleagues, family, and neighbors. It remains available (for now) at http://is.gd/BQGu -- If this video should disappear, feel free to e-mail me and ask if another version has popped up anywhere.

(4) If you are able, please consider making a donation to the Center for Consumer Freedom so we can keep up the pressure on the Humane Society of the United States. We've got some exciting plans for the months ahead, but we need additional resources to make it all work.

Donations can be made at http://www.consumerfreedom.com/donations.cfm and they are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. The Center for Consumer Freedom is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.

Thanks for all you do to provide for animals. Remember: You are the real animal advocates. And we're on your side.

David Martosko
    Director of Research
    martosko@ConsumerFreedom.com
    www.Twitter.com/DMartosko